Share Everything Plan - You should know this before switching to it
mikebaxa
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are syncing your device with an Exchange Server and you switch to the share everything plan you will no longer be able to connect to a Exchange Server.  Period.  Not even for an extra cost.

If you upgrade a device and want to keep your current plan you will have to pay full price for the device and you will no longer have unlimited data.  You will be forced to add a new (not sharable) data plan and pay for it on top of your current plan.

I have four devices.  One that I sync with our work exchange server and a Linux Zarafa (exchange) server, and another device that is also synced with the Zarafa server.

Losing this is a HUGE deal for me.

I have been with Verizon for over twenty years (remember Air Touch?)

It will cost me $850 + one $272 billing cycle to terminate my account.

I am very seriously considering this.  Yet another costly lesson!

Verizon, you have done some marketing mistakes in the past that I have been able to live with.  But selling this plan as a "better" plan is down right unacceptable!  It is shameless!

Is anyone in the market for a brand new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet, Samsung Nexus II, HTC Thunderbolt? 

<Personal information removed for privacy and per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Share Everything Plan - You should know this before switching to it
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mikebaxa, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a device with capabilities blocked either! I apologize you received incorrect information about the new plans, but as others have commented in this forum, Exchange service is not blocked with the new plans. It is included at no additional cost as this uses your regular internet connection. If you have a Blackberry Enterprise Server or Good Mobile Server, there is an additional $15 charge for this feature.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mikebaxa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me again.

I ask why would I buy a product that has capabilities of that product blocked?  Would you buy a refrigerator with a freezer if you knew that you could not use the freezer?

Too bad (for me) that I didn't know how this would all work out 7 days ago.  I would have been within the 14 day return policy.

I just purchased 2 sim cards.  Say goodbye to a very long, loyal, dependable customer.

0 Likes
crabby1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where are you getting the information that a device on the Share Everything plan can not connect to an Exchange Server? According to the terms posted online, the following applies to any Share Everything plan: Corporate email via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync or Lotus Notes Traveler is included within your Share Everything data allowance ( if supported by your device) at no additional cost. Corporate email customers using BES or Good will need an additional feature for these services ($15/mo).

What Verizon DID say was that even if you connected to a BES-Express server, you had to pay the additional fee. This was against what RIM said and when I used a Blackberry connected to BES-Express, I never was charged this fee.

0 Likes
mikebaxa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Crabby1

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Calling%20Plans/share_everything.html

Share Everything Features 1 and 2

After seeing this I made two separate  calls to customer service asking if Exchange Server was supported and both said "no".

I told the second person that it is too important for me to continue my service with them.  He asked if this was the only reason and I said that the plan would be good but I just need this feature.  If I (and the two of them are wrong) or if they change the plan to include it I probably would stay even though I already ordered two sim cards from T-Mobile ($8.00). 

Where are you getting your information from?  Have you confirmed anything with customer support?

0 Likes
crabby1
Enthusiast - Level 1

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Calling%20Plans/share_everything.html

This does not say you can not access an exchange server

http://www.wirefly.com/content/rateplan_page?productID=61806

Clearly on this site, the terms say you can. Maybe someone from Verizon needs to answer this and clarify if we can or not. If not, I too will be leaving when my contract is up, unless they change it.

0 Likes
mikebaxa
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are correct.  It does clearly state, on the wirefly website, that exchange is supported.  And you'e right again that the reference on the verizon site does not explicitly say that you cannot.  That's why I called them.  And even after the first rep told me that it is not supported, I still had a hard time believing it.  When I talked to the second rep I made it clear that not being able to connect to exchange was something I just cannot do.  And, just for the record, in both cases, I was not mad or belligerent in any way.  In fact I was very polite, stating that I felt bad they had to work (July 4) and it was a very pleasant and calm discussion.  I also stated that I was surprised that they had not already received many calls about it. 

Well like I said, I hope that I and the two reps I talked to are wrong.  (or if not, they change it)  It would be a horrible strategy for them otherwise. 

I think you are right that someone from Verizon should chime in here and clarify this. 

Oh, I did find out that Verizon does not lock the sim cards on their devices.  If you want it locked you have to do it yourself.  That's one bit of good news.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mikebaxa, I certainly wouldn't want to purchase a device with capabilities blocked either! I apologize you received incorrect information about the new plans, but as others have commented in this forum, Exchange service is not blocked with the new plans. It is included at no additional cost as this uses your regular internet connection. If you have a Blackberry Enterprise Server or Good Mobile Server, there is an additional $15 charge for this feature.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mikebaxa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much!  I found it very hard to believe even after hearing from two different customer reps.  But it is nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks again

Mike

0 Likes