Service Degradation in rural WI.
brettokok

For years I spoke highly about the great service from Verizon while up at our cabin. It is in Markton, WI 54491. We often go up there with friends and I always had 2-3 bars of 4G and would laugh at my sprint and att friends who couldn't even make a call. The signal was strong enough to stream packer games, and the badgers in the final four in HD without problems. Well after 2-3 years of this good 4G service, now I am reduced to 1 bar of 3G that usually turns into 1x as soon as I try to actually use it. This is indoors or outdoors. This is very frustrating when it used to work so well for years.  Every other commercial on the TV is JJ Watt chopping wood and having great 4g signal. Turns out this isn't so accurate. I'm 60 miles northwest of Lambeau Field and I can't even get a signal for a second now... Did a tower up there break down or get abandoned or sold? I would even be willing to buy one of those expensive antennas/extenders to mount on a pole on the roof but then I think about how its not a problem with a signal indoors vs outdoors so one of these might not even amplify a signal, its a problem with a signal all together. Would an extender be worth it in this area? Maybe if its a powered device it would be able to pull a signal in and amplify it for me to be able to use even in the living room or front yard?  This problem is with multiple devices/users so it is not related to me current phone.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Service Degradation in rural WI.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having reliable service is definitely important, so I understand your concern brettokok. Let's get you the great service you've always had with VZW.

I checked the coverage in that area and all looks good. When did you notice the service issues at this location? Just to make sure I understand correctly, you only pick up 3G while in this area. And when you attempt to use the phone it switches to to 1X right away? Does this only happen when attempting to place a call or when accessing data as well?

In regards to a Network Extender, this accessory will definitely help boost the service indoors. But we would need to check if it will work in that area. We would need to check using the address of the location. This will help with calls, text, and 3G data access.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
brettokok

The service hasn't had the 2-3 bars of 4g for just over a year. We go up there in winter a lot for snowmobiling and the service had dropped off last winter already. The address is n2709 Hwy 55, town of wolf river, WI. If you type that in Google maps, it puts you like 5 miles away down hwy 55 as the fire number type addresses are not that accurate on maps. The following address is right near across the street/at the end of the driveway and actually comes up on the map N2680 Log Cabin Dr, White Lake, WI.

Do you have network extenders that cover 4g/3g/calls and text? I am handy and would have no problem installing a roof mounted unit and running wires down to a indoor booster.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all the helpful details brettokok. I can certainly understand you wanting to have the most reliable service while at this location. Let's get to the bottom of this and get the service back up to par.

I checked the coverage in that area and all looks good. Are you only having service issues while in this area? Is everything okay once back to your home area? What phone models do you have? Are you currently at this location?

With the Network Extender, it will boost service indoors and will help with calls, text, and data access. Our Network Extender are 3G only.
JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
brettokok

Service is good at home. Only have problems at the cabin. I use an HTC One Max. My wife uses a HTC Droid DNA, my in law uses a 2 year oldish Motorola budget android. All are barely getting service. I am not currently in that area. It is about 70 miles North. While up at the cabin, if you go 12 miles to the east to Mountain, WI you get full bars of 4G. As you are heading back West to the cabin, the service drops off to almost nothing. So I have some hope that an extender might be able to pick up that signal from the East.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Be aware that the extenders that Verizon sells don't boost the signal they just connect to your Wi-Fi and send out it's on 3G and 1x signal  and then transfers the voice text or data over your Wi-Fi network. That only works if you have Wi-Fi at the cabin.

Boosters do exist,but Verizon does not sell them would need to search around. Theymay work if you have signal close by be able to boost the signal so you get reception however it would be a trial and error type thing

0 Likes
brettokok

Ah, I see. We do not have internet there. I think I might look into a booster. Unless you feel like putting in an order to build a new tower by us?? haha

0 Likes