Selling Phone on Craigslist. Potential Buyer With Interesting Questions.
jdstock

Hey there folks. I'm selling my phone on Craigslist and the potential buyer will be using it with a prepaid plan.

He's had many questions such as how old the phone is, if it has ever been reported as lost or stolen, if it's still under contract...I've answered all of these questions and most recently he asked me for both the MEID HEX # and MEID DEC # so that Verizon could run a check on it for him...this guy is driving me crazy!!  Is there any reason for me to not give him these numbers? This is Craigslist after all, and there's all kinds of crazies out there. Just want to make sure I'm protecting myself, etc.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Selling Phone on Craigslist. Potential Buyer With Interesting Questions.
2cool4school
Contributor - Level 1

It would help if this was in english, but typical information a buyer would need is an esn or an meid number to see if it's been reported as lost or stolen, they usually ask for the cosmetic condition of the phone, etc

0 Likes
Re: Selling Phone on Craigslist. Potential Buyer With Interesting Questions.
budone
Legend

Here is the post translated.

Hey there folks. I'm selling my phone on Craigslist and the potential buyer will be using it with a prepaid plan.

He's had many questions such as how old the phone is, if it has ever been reported as lost or stolen, if it's still under contract...I've answered all of these questions and most recently he asked me for both the MEID HEX # and MEID DEC # so that Verizon could run a check on it for him...this guy is driving me crazy!! Is there any reason for me to not give him these numbers? This is Craigslist after all, and there's all kinds of crazies out there. Just want to make sure I'm protecting myself, etc.

Thanks!

As for the MEID and ESN, they are simply wanting to make sure the device is not blacklisted. Some reasons why a device may be blacklisted are::

• Reported lost or stolen
  • A contract that was cancelled before completing it and the ETF not paid.

Those are the biggies.

Personally, if I was selling my phone to someone off of Craigslist, DEMAND they meet you at a VZW corporate store for the transaction to be completed. If legit, and not a way to rob you, (Which happens quite often in Atlanta,) they need to contact VZW to activate the phone, so that is a great place to finish the transaction

0 Likes