Security Deposit
cweinstein12

Last year I started a contract with Verizon. I was told that I had to put down a $400 security deposit because I don't have a social security number. I gave $400 cash and asked if this money would be returned to me. I was told that as long as I made my payments in full and on time for 12 months I would be reimbursed that amount. This September I knew that a year was almost up. I called Verizon to ensure all my payments had been made on time and made a request that a check for the $400 be mailed to me. I specifically asked the agent that I spoke to if I could have this check refunded in full. I was assured that because I had auto-pay set up and had made all of my payments on time, that the security check would be refunded to me in early October. The agent never said anything about the security deposit being applied towards my account balance. As a matter of fact, I was told that because I had auto-pay set up, this would not be an issue. October rolls around and I receive a check in the mail for approximately $146. The remainder of my security deposit had clearly been applied to my balance which I specifically didn't want and was assured wouldn't happen due to my auto-pay. I called in immediately after receiving less than $400 and was told that a request would be made to the "treasury department" to have my credit card charged and the check to be refunded. The agent I spoke to said someone would call me within the next few days. A few days goes by and of course I hear nothing. I call in again and speak to a gentleman named Wayne. Wayne tells me all the same stuff. He will file a request to the treasury department and someone will call me in a few days. In addition to this, Wayne gives me his e-mail address so that I can contact him directly in the event that nobody contacts me. Of course nobody contacts me. I e-mail Wayne and he asks for my phone number and says he will look into it and call me. Wayne doesn't call me. I e-mail him 2 more times to which he just doesn't respond. I have Wayne's last name which I am choosing not to disclose as I am not trying to cause problems. I must mention that I am a student. This $400 is something I really need to receive back. I made all the phone calls and inquiries I did to ensure I would get this money back as this is not a small amount (especially to me). I told one of the representatives that I spoke to that they could charge my credit card the amount before refunding me back the money they applied to my account from my security deposit. I do not understand why this should be an issue at all. I am not asking Verizon to forfeit any money. As a matter of fact, the person who has to forfeit the money is me. All I am asking is that whatever was done on my account be reversed. I am happy to have the amount that was taken from my security deposit charged to my credit card and then once that is complete, the remainder of my security deposit be mailed back to me. This doesn't sound like that big of a request or that complicated of a thing to do. I respect the policies of Verizon. However, I cannot agree with the idea of having to suffer the consequences and losing money due to representatives of this company misinforming me. I did whatever I could and obviously believed all the assurances I was given. I do not think it is fair to be told that I am out of luck. I feel that I have exhausted all of my options at this point and do not know who to contact for further assistance. The treasury department apparently doesn't return calls or care about their customers. I do not see the point in making payments on time and being a loyal customer only to be totally disregarded in return. If someone can please contact me or assist me it would be greatly appreciated. I am beyond frustrated and upset.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Security Deposit
rcschnoor
Legend

Unfortunately, in the explanation of security deposits, it states the refund of a security deposit may be put towards any amount you owe on any account. If you currently had an amount due, even if it was set up for auto-pay but had not been paid yet, the security deposit would have been put towards that amount.

In retrospect, you should have paid the amount due on your bill with your CC before the refund taking place. As it is, it is unlikely you will get the amount back and then have the bill charged to your CC.

It appears if you need the money, you may have to take an advance in cash from your CC.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Security Deposit
rcschnoor
Legend

Unfortunately, in the explanation of security deposits, it states the refund of a security deposit may be put towards any amount you owe on any account. If you currently had an amount due, even if it was set up for auto-pay but had not been paid yet, the security deposit would have been put towards that amount.

In retrospect, you should have paid the amount due on your bill with your CC before the refund taking place. As it is, it is unlikely you will get the amount back and then have the bill charged to your CC.

It appears if you need the money, you may have to take an advance in cash from your CC.

Good luck.

0 Likes