Scam or not
ElaineSH

at 12:10 this morning - I received a text message that I think is a scam. I felt it was important to alert Verizon that it came in as if it was from them. BUT I can't seem to get through to their "chat" function or email where I can send this inquiry.

Here is the text:

My actions:

Using a private number (not my cellphone) I called the number. The first few times, it hung up on me after ringing. On the 4th try, it answered.

The robot said, "This is Mastercard. There is a problem with your card. Please enter your account number so that we can help you."

I hung up rather than see what other information I had to give them. (btw - my account is find and not tied to Mastcard)

Has anyone else had this mystery text message

Thanks,

Elaine

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Scam or not
mcblaber
Enthusiast - Level 3

It seems like a scam to me. Look at the link at Fraud FAQs | Verizon Wireless on how to report it to verizon directly.

Fraudulent email-- Forward the message to phishing@verizonwireless.com

Fraudulent text message-- Forward the text to 7726 (Verizon Corporate Security)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mcblaber
Enthusiast - Level 3

It seems like a scam to me. Look at the link at Fraud FAQs | Verizon Wireless on how to report it to verizon directly.

Fraudulent email-- Forward the message to phishing@verizonwireless.com

Fraudulent text message-- Forward the text to 7726 (Verizon Corporate Security)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Elaine, it was a scam. MasterCard and Bank of American and Discover card services are easy targets.

What happens is you enter the card number, your zip code etc.

With this little bit of information your card will be compromised.

If ever in doubt call your bank of issuance and ask them if there is any problems. I use the online portal for my cards and I can see anything and everything that is happening on my accounts.

You were wise to ignore the scam text/email.

Good Luck

0 Likes