Safety Mode and Family Base
Esheckolawn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently signed up for the "Safety Mode" program and really like it, but I have a suggestion: For those (like myself) who use "FamilyBase", “Safety Mode” should be able to apply to each line independently as it (the respective line) exceeds its usage limit.  This way, all others on the plan don’t have to be penalized for someone who has exceeded their allotted bandwidth.  Thank you

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Safety Mode and Family Base
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to manage your data usage is definitely important so I completely understand your concern PJDnomight. Let me clarify.

With Family Base you can set data usage limits for each line and place a hard stop once the data limit has been reached http://vz.to/2hRzzOa.With family base it will not slow down the data speeds once they have reached their set data limits.

If you are looking to slow down the data speeds once you have reached your plan data allowance you can do so by enabling Safety Mode http://vz.to/2dq5brD. Keep in mind that Safety Mode is only available on the New Verizon Plans.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I think you might have it confused.

With the Family Base limit on any particular line when that line reaches to set limit it will no longer get any data at any speed. The Safety Mode is only enforced when it is activated by you and when the account as a whole uses up the data allotment.

So, if you have 5 lines and 30GB with one line on Family Base at a 6GB limit, when that line reaches the 6GB it will no longer get any data. The other 4 lines will get high-speed data until the end of the billing cycle or the other 24GB is used. Should you reach the 30GB limit, the line with the FB settings will continue to not receive data and the the other 4 lines will be able to access the 128kbps speeds.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

I think you might have it confused.

I don't think they have it confused, they simply offered a suggestion on how they would LIKE it to work. It sounds as if they know HOW it works, they would simply like it to work a bit differently for those with FamilyBase.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

But no other users are penalized when any line reaches its limit. All other lines are still getting LTE speeds providing that there are no limits set and/or there the account has not reached the limit.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

EXACTLY! That is what they are requesting, for Safety Mode to kick in for lines on the account which have reached their pre-set FamilyBase limit, slowing them down to 128 Kbps and not have THAT throttled data count against the overall account data allowance while others on the plan are able to utilize LTE speeds with their data until THEY reach their pre-set FamilyBase limit and Safety Mode kicks in for them. Then when/if the overall account limit is reached, Safety Mode would kick in for the remaining line(s).

It appears the OP, who currently subscribes to Safety Mode knows how it currently works, they would simply like it to work in the above described method.

Whether or not Verizon will ever offer such an option for FamilyBase is anyone's guess.Smiley Happy

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Except that I impose the limit through Family Base and I want all data to stop.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Except that is the good thing about Safety Mode, you don't have to turn it on if you don't want. With the modification the OP has suggested, BOTH OF YOU can use it in the method you would like.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jross3594
Enthusiast - Level 1

I asked for the exact same thing, more than once!!!!! My daughter would blow through our whole family allotment, if she wasn't restricted on family base.  I would like the option for a family plan with individual data limits, so after each individual uses their allotted data limit, safety mode would kick in for that individual line. For example, a family of 4 shares 16GB, each gets 4GB, and when their 4GB is used up.......... like in my daughter's case, usually week one of the month!, she drops to safety mode speed, while we still get to enjoy 4G speed!.

PJDynomight

That's exactly what I'm looking for!!!

I was told by a verizon wireless tech guy, Scott, that it is possible to get the reduced 2G speed after my son and nephew reach the limits I set for them on Family Base.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

This is not possible as it is now. 

0 Likes