Re: Rewarding Customer Loyalty with Unlimited Data Price Increase?
Weth
Legend

I Like to look at the big picture, how much more am I paying.

line item up 67%

bottom line up 25-33%

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I understand that but the percentage quoted was referring solely to the increase in the data...so it was accurate. The complaints are about the increase in the unlimited data plan so that's what most are focused on. The variables that apply to total monthly increase are different for everyone (some have no discounts at all, some have employee discounts, some are on low minute plans, others are on higher minute plans, etc). It's only fair and accurate to keep the focus on what this is all about...unlimited data price increase.

0 Likes
camerams
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is a huge increase in data prices but the issue is quite different for me and probably many others. I do consider myself to be a loyal customer. I am on a very, very old plan which is exactly what I need and it is no longer offered. I have 700 minutes of talk time...way more than I need for all 5 lines. I pay $9.99 for each line and $10 for unlimited texting. Everything is separate in my current plan. I also pay for data separately for each phone, so I chose how much data to get each of my kids. There is no way to keep my current plan if I change anything at all. If one of my kids uses a lot of data...and one does...I pay for that . Verizon has me stuck. Either I pay $40 extra/month for data we don't really use, or I leave altogether because there is no current plan that meets my needs. Because I prefer Verizon Wireless, I may just pay the extra, but my bill has jumped to almost unaffordable as it is. I am looking at other options.

rcschnoor
Legend

camerams wrote:

That is a huge increase in data prices but the issue is quite different for me and probably many others. I do consider myself to be a loyal customer. I am on a very, very old plan which is exactly what I need and it is no longer offered. I have 700 minutes of talk time...way more than I need for all 5 lines. I pay $9.99 for each line and $10 for unlimited texting. Everything is separate in my current plan. I also pay for data separately for each phone, so I chose how much data to get each of my kids. There is no way to keep my current plan if I change anything at all. If one of my kids uses a lot of data...and one does...I pay for that . Verizon has me stuck. Either I pay $40 extra/month for data we don't really use, or I leave altogether because there is no current plan that meets my needs. Because I prefer Verizon Wireless, I may just pay the extra, but my bill has jumped to almost unaffordable as it is. I am looking at other options.

I would be curious what your TOTAL monthly bill is and how much data each line has vs how much each line normally uses.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I'm interested in how the new plans are automatically off the hook?  How much do you pay now and how much data is used total?  You have 2 unlimited lines that you admit you don't really use.  How many phones in contract?

IF all phones out of contract, 12 GB data total, unlimited texts for all, 5 lines, that is $200 plus taxes. 

camerams
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the old structure, one paid separately for "the plan" (on my line - the primary account number) which included 700 minutes of talk and nothing else for $80. My husband and pay $30/each for unlimited data. We pay $9.99 for each line (not including mine), and we have 5 lines, total. We pay $9.99 for unlimited texting on all lines. I have 3 teen/college age kids. One uses 5gb/data per month and the other two use 2gb/data per month. Because of a lack of WiFi where my kids need it, they need to use more data than I'd like but...that's the way it is. Many months they don't use all that data, but some months they do. We chose to stay with this plan because it fits our needs. We didn't want to share data - doesn't work for us. My husband and I, in order to keep this plan, have been paying retail for our phones.My data use stayed stable at between 0.5 - 1gb for all the years I've had this plan, which is a very long time. Recently, as I have been traveling where often and WiFi has been too slow, I've been using almost 5gb! But that's only the past several months. My husband has never gone over 1gb. We have stayed with Verizon despite paying a much higher bill than with other providers, though I started my daughter off with Ting because I had 4 kids on our plan already - one is now grown and has his own plan. When we crunched the numbers, the new plans are more complicated and will cost us more.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

you could get unlimited talk and text and 18gb for $200 or $260 if the other 3 lines are still under contract.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Fair enough, but seems time to crunch numbers again, and even add in the $5 for family base to limit each to a certain amount. 

You are using less than 12 GB most months according to your info.  Like I said, if you are all off contract, the new plan is $205 if you include family base plus taxes.

sjrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's pretty advantageous for me to keep our plans the way it is. My wife uses about ~6 GB per month, and she was converted over from the unlimited data plan since she upgraded her phone. I use ~30 GB per month. It still seems pretty expensive to me overall since we're at about $170/month.

camerams
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll do the math again. It's just annoying as anything. Plans have changed about 6 times and, every time, I've had to do this all over again. Up until now, I'd be paying around 1.5 times what I've been paying. I'd prefer to just keep my plan. I've feeling pretty punitive toward Verizon right now. Have been paying them big bucks for so many years in order to stay with them. To be fair, they do have the best cell service, which is the primary reason I have stayed.