Rewarding Customer Loyalty with Unlimited Data Price Increase?
sjrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a loyal Verizon Wireless customer that has been an early adopter of smartphone technology. I started out with the Palm Treo and have moved through a number of smartphones over the past 10 years. I've always recommended Verizon Wireless to friends and family when they expressed dissatisfaction in their own cell carrier.

Until last week, I have not entertained the thought of switching to a new cell phone service provider. However, with the news of the Unlimited Data price increase I have done just that.

It's unfortunate that VZW has chosen to alienate and penalize it's most loyal individual customers in the Smartphone Mobile Device segment with this price increase. If you are an unlimited data customer, please share your thoughts. I'm very interested in your reaction and opinion.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support Verizon Wireless Services

Labels (1)
Re: Rewarding Customer Loyalty with Unlimited Data Price Increase?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

It's a bit disappointing but, I don't think we are "the most loyal" customers of Verizon's just because we have unlimited data plans. As I've stated before, I don't think any of use are loyal. We stayed because Verizon's service met our needs and expectations. Otherwise no one would stay and would always go where the price was cheapest. At the end of the day we have to decide what's best for us individually. Keep unlimited and pay the increase, switch plans, or switch carriers. It sucks but it could be worse. They could force us all off of the plan without a choice in the matter.

sjrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess it depends on what your metrics are for "loyal customer". I bet this 1% would lead the pack in most of them.

You're correct. A $20 price hike isn't the end of the world and we still have a choice, but it is a 67% price increase. That's pretty dramatic if you ask me.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sjrider-

Your loyalty for the past 10 years is very much appreciated.  We want to say that we will be celebrating another 10 years together and don't ever want to see you go.  We do understand that money is a concern because in this economy every dollar does add up fast.  We want to assist and ensure you have the best data plan for your needs.  We did send a private message so we can gather some needed information from you to provide options.  Thank you for your time.

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Well despite being a customer for over 15 years I don't call myself a loyal customer because I don't stay with Verizon out of some sort of loyalty. I stay because they offer the best service in the areas that I need it most. I pay them for what they give me. For me, that's not loyal. That's common sense and value for my dollar. Yes, there are other carriers...most of which I have had to use throughout the years for work purposes. But those carriers did not give me the same excellent service in the same areas that Verizon does. If they had and the price was better then of course I would have switched. I suspect that most of us stay with Verizon for the same reason...their service meets our needs.

I don't dispute that the price increase isn't small nor am I thrilled to pay more...but that's where evaluating your needs comes in. I use my unlimited data (I'm not a super user but I do use more than a couple of gb's per month) but there are some people that if they review their usage habits might realize they could save a little by switching. In those cases I think it's been more of a fear of the unknown that has kept them holding on the their UD plan. I completely understand that because honestly, even if I didn't use a lot of data every month I might be inclined to keep the plan...reading horror stories about people getting a new phone and suddenly using more data than they ever did before (we won't go into the reasons why that may happen) is enough to make anyone pause before leaving something safe. But for some it may benefit them to switch plans or providers. I guess at the end of the day I'm not going to let this stress me out. Not saying that should be everyone's position but for me...it could be worse.

BoulderGeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am certainly gathering all of my best options, so I can act decisively when Verizon forces this new charge on the user base who have stuck with VZW, still paying the fees that used to subsidize phones, mind you.  We are already paying a premium to get value from their services, all while being saddled with crippled, bloatware-stuffed, locked down VZW CDMA devices.

Let me keep a fair service at a fair price, or I go elsewhere with bitterness and prejudice.

camerams
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in a similar situation. Both my husband and I have unlimited data; I think we've been with Verizon for about 15 years. My husband uses about 1gb/month. I use, as of the past year, about 4-5gb/month. Up until this year, I have used less than 1gb/month. Both my husband I and use WiFi whenever we can so that we do not become data hogs. We have 5 phones on our very old plan, all of which pay separately for data. If there is a $20/month increase, we will no longer make any effort to use as little data as possible. That much of an increase is punitive to those of us who have used the plan responsibly. We will also be angry - very angry. I have thought of switching before, but the unlimited data plan has kept us with Verizon Wireless. Though we haven't used a huge amount of data, it is nice not having to worry about "going over" the data limit. We have bought our phones at retail prices for years in order to stay with this plan. I understand that there are people who use more than 30/gb of data/month - one person I know bragged about it. But, for those of use who do not (and I would assume that includes many people on the plan), it seems unfair. Many people will pay the extra money and use a lot more data; some will leave Verizon entirely.There are other plans out there which would be much less expensive for our family. I'm considering what to do. I am considering is leaving Verizon for good. Verizon, I think you may be shooting yourself in the foot with this one. The data hogs will pay the extra and many others will leave. Is that what you really want? You want to keep data hogs and lose the others?

rcschnoor
Legend

sjrider wrote:

I guess it depends on what your metrics are for "loyal customer". I bet this 1% would lead the pack in most of them.

You're correct. A $20 price hike isn't the end of the world and we still have a choice, but it is a 67% price increase. That's pretty dramatic if you ask me.

What metrics would you think???

The metric that you are considering switching at the FIRST price increase in unlimited data EVER(10 + years since the introduction of unlimited data)? THAT does not sound very loyal.

I don't consider myself loyal, yet I think I could probably match you on most metrics you could bring up. I simply go with the best provider for my needs, which SOUNDS as if that is what you are doing because of this price increase. So much for loyalty.

For what it is worth, I DO NOT have unlimited data. I voluntarily gave it up because it was cheaper for me to do so. I pay MUCH less now than I do when I had unlimited data and I use A LOT more data than when I had unlimited date, too. For some, they can save by switching. For others they can save by holding on to unlimited data. Neither choice makes you more/less loyal, simply that you have different needs.

Weth
Legend

sjrider wrote:

67% is cherry picking to get the highest percent you can. It really is more in the range of 33% or less, still significant but a more realistic true reflection of actual increase. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Well to be fair...if you're only looking at the data portion the increase of $20 is a 67% increase from the current price. Since everyone pays something different as far as their total monthly bill is its hard to try and state a percentage for that. But the data price increase is 67%.