Returned Edge Up phone is LOST and I have to pay for it????!!!
FedUpwithVerizonnow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Back in Dec 2014 we Edged up our son's iPhone to HTC for Christmas. We were instructed to mail back the iPhone (they provided the mailer), which we did. I personally went to the PO and put it in the dropoff bin inside the building. We assumed the phone was delivered, as we didn't hear a peep about it....Until April (yes, 4 months later) when there was suddenly a $400 "equipment" charge on our bill. I call them, disputed the charge, had them open a ticket to find the phone. The tracking number didn't show it ever being scanned or delivered. So they deferred the $400 charge for April while they "investigated". Then in May my service was shut off, yes because this $400 wasn't paid. I call Verizon again, had them defer the $400 again and paid that month's bill, along with a reconnect fee. Verizon rep actually told me to go to the PO and get them to provide me with video proving I dropped off the package. I spoke with the Postmaster and she informed me that they don't have video surveillance anywhere in the building except at the cashiers counter, so no video for me. She also let me know that the tracking # the Verizon rep gave me was invalid, (yes, stupid me for not making a copy of the mail label back in Dec. Who does that?). When I called Verizon again, they basically accused me of keeping the phone and lying about sending it back. Now my phones (4 lines) are all shut off due to "nonpayment". Now, I'm absolutely NOT going to pay for this darn phone that I returned. I have no problem paying for my regular (overpriced) monthly bill but I am NOT going to pay for a phone they lost! The thing that sucks the most is that my credit is going to be affected by this and I'm screwed with the phones I have been paying for since I won't be able to even take them to another service because of VERIZON'S SCREWUP. I'm filing a complaint with BBB as we speak and looking into going w/Sprint or ATT since they have pretty good promos going on right now.

I know I'm not a longtime customer (just over a year) but I've always paid my bill, even upgraded services to a more expensive plan, because they have great coverage in my area. But if this is how they screw their customers, I want nothing to do with them. I had average coverage with Boost Mobile but it was cheap and I never had issues with them in the 5 years I had them prior to Verizon. The only reason why I left Boost was for a fancier phone, and to consolidate our family's cell bill. BIG MISTAKE. I should've stayed with Boost since I had unlimited everything at that time for $45/mo, which they no longer offer.

More than likely no one in Verizon will correct this and I'll get screwed in this situation, but at least it's a warning to all Verizon customers:  IF YOU SEND BACK A PHONE, MAKE SURE TO COPY THE MAILING LABEL THEY GIVE YOU, TRACK IT, AND MAYBE EVEN INSURE IT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET CHARGED FOR A "LOST" PHONE.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Returned Edge Up phone is LOST and I have to pay for it????!!!
Snn5
Legend

FedUpwithVerizonnow wrote:

I should've stayed with Boost since I had unlimited everything at that time for $45/mo, which they no longer offer.

They still do:  $30 autopay 2GB unlimited talk text, $40 without autopay, $45 for 5GB, $55 for 10 and if you port in now, you get double data...4,10, and 20GB.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

yes, stupid me for not making a copy of the mail label back in Dec. Who does that?

When sending ANYTHING with a tracking number, of course I keep a record of the tracking number. Who doesn't do that?

IF YOU SEND BACK A PHONE, MAKE SURE TO COPY THE MAILING LABEL THEY GIVE YOU, TRACK IT, AND MAYBE EVEN INSURE IT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET CHARGED FOR A "LOST" PHONE.

Yes, when sending a $500-$1000 piece of electronic equipment or anything of that value it is common sense to pay the $5 to insure the package.

0 Likes
FedUpwithVerizonnow
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you're snootily saying, but I assumed that the tracking # was in the Edge Up paperwork, which it's not. And I also assumed if a multimillion dollar company like Verizon gives me a mailing label for expensive phones, THEY insure them.   Not to mention this issue started 4 MONTHS LATER, now going into 6 months. How the hell am I supposed to find a phone 4-6 months after being mailed????

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FedUpwithVerizonnow,

Wow, that was a lot that has transpired and our deepest and sincerest apologies that it resulted in the way it. We do value your loyalty to us whether a year or ten years, we appreciate you choosing us as your provider.

We know that you have gone through a lot already but we do want to try to see what more information, if any, we can find out for you. Thanks for trying all the steps that yo have and we’ll send a private message to you so that we can try to work with you to see what's going on with the phone.

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I ALWAYS keep a copy of the tracking number. Plus I get a receipt from the PO that I dropped it off. Even on top of that I take pictures of the devices before packaging it and a video of me putting it in the box and sealing it.

All of this because without it I cannot prove that I sent the phone back. At least armed with this information I have a leg to stand on if VZW ever decides to charge me. I am responsible for the return of devices. If I just drop it in the box without any proof then I am liable. Now, if I have proof of taking it to the post office (the receipt of acceptance) then the device and its return are between VZW and the PO. I have this proof for my evidence should I need to go to small claims court. I can say to a judge, here is my pictures of the device's and the box's condition when I dropped it off and here is the receipt that it was accepted by the PO. After that, it is out of my hands. DO you think that if you took this to a judge in a court of law with only your word that you would win?

Think of my response as snooty if you like, but this is the facts. We must take the proper steps to insure that we have the evidence we need to fight any claims.

FedUpwithVerizonnow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Believe me, I totally understand your point. Unfortunately, I naively

thought that everything would go through just fine and honestly. I never

thought in a million years that I would have to cover myself to such

lengths. Again naively, I thought that I could just follow their directions

and it would be fine. I'm definitely finding out the hard way that I can't

trust anyone to do their job. I couldn't trust the salesperson to make sure

the the tracking number was in the paperwork, which it was not, and I

couldn't trust the PO for the delivery of the package. And now I can't

trust that Verizon would do their part in a timely fashion. If this issue

had come up in maybe January, I may have had a chance to track it down, but

again, 6 months later what can I possibly do?

I apologize for my snooty remark towards you earlier. I'm quite irritated

at the situation and you just happened to be in the line of fire at the

moment.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

That wasn't me that the comment was made to. It was rcschnoor.

I guess I just don't trust anyone. One time I ordered something online from VZW that was a 3-5 day delivery. It took 20 whole days. It wasn't VZW's fault. That rested solely with the USPS. The USPS has always been a little unreliable. I don't always trust them even with tracked packages.  However, when you put yourself in VZW's position, without concrete evidence that you did attempt to return it they have no other recourse. No, the rep should have used discretion and should not have accused you of keeping the device but the fact remains that you can't prove that you sent it so they're can't take your word for it. It is nothing personal, it's just business.

VZWCustomerForNow
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am sitting here and VZW admits that they got the package over two months ago. Unfortunately for me, they cannot confirm what was in the package. Therefore I am on the hook for $225.00. They are STILL looking into it. Kind of wonder IS THIS ANY WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS????? You got the box!!!!! Why, AFTER 2 months have you not looked inside the box to see the phone that I returned.?????? Returning a phone and HAVING PROOF THEY RECIEVED THE BOX is still no protection against the fee.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Doing away with the Edge Up deal is one of the best things VZW could have done considering all of the issues that folks have had (or having) with the process...