Restocking Fee for Exchanging Items (Purchased Online) for More Expensive Items?
gr8lakescarter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings all.  Very (disappointed) loyal, extremely longtime VZW customer here... 

I've been an iPhone (4) user for several years now, but recently was swayed but the BOGO offer on the new Samsung Galaxy S5.  My plan was to get a phone upgrade, get my wife on her first smartphone, and then add a new line, and pass along my old iPhone to my son (his first phone).  In doing this, I was forced off of my unlimited data plan in favor of VZW's Share Everything Plan, and went from month-to-month to 3) new 2-year contracts, 2) with the exorbitant Android early termination fee, and increasing my monthly payout to VZW by $60+... or up to $2,500+ annually.  I made these choices willingly, not even considering taking the opportunity to checkout the competition.

I made an honest mistake!  After I ordered the new phones, I decided that I wanted to continue with IOS, with its limitations and all...  I am comfortable with IOS, and all things considered, it's just the best option for my situation. 

Mind you, the new phones are here, but the shipping box has not been opened.  I contacted VZW to exchange the S5's for an iPhone 5S 32GB, and a 5C 16GB...  $200 more than I paid for the S5's (after $100 rebate).  VZW said theyd be happy to make the exchange, and to take more money from me for the more expensive iPhones, but, it would cost me an additional $70 to return the unopened, non-activated phones.

I find this unpalatable, and I resent it greatly!  Am I alone here?  I have been with VZW forever.  I have endured the high prices, the fees, the 3G data throttling, the poor service areas in Michigan, etc., etc., etc. for years.  I pay on time, every time.  I do not, ever, jump ship in favor of the flavor-of-the-month promotion from the competition - and it appears that VZW doesn't value my loyalty in the least.

I understand that there [may be] a cost to restock the phones, but, it is minimal at best, and zero at the least.  However, it's not at all close to $70.

Will someone explain to me where I'm going wrong here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Restocking Fee for Exchanging Items (Purchased Online) for More Expensive Items?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, gr8lakescarter,

I want to start out by saying, thank you so much for the years of your loyalty! I want to work with you to continue our relationship for many more years to come. I do have some good news for you, if the device is unopened you should not have a restocking fee. You can always return this device in the 14 Worry Free Guarantee time frame at a corporate store location. You can locate a local store here: http://bit.ly/3SdsA This should be something that the store will be able to process for you with out any issues. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

Re: Restocking Fee for Exchanging Items (Purchased Online) for More Expensive Items?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon, gr8lakescarter,

I want to start out by saying, thank you so much for the years of your loyalty! I want to work with you to continue our relationship for many more years to come. I do have some good news for you, if the device is unopened you should not have a restocking fee. You can always return this device in the 14 Worry Free Guarantee time frame at a corporate store location. You can locate a local store here: http://bit.ly/3SdsA This should be something that the store will be able to process for you with out any issues. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

kay_dee_gee
Enthusiast - Level 3

HOLY COW!! Did a VZW rep ACTUALLY just offer a solution?? Not to mention a solution - that's actually FAIR?? Thank goodness it's in writing so he can pull it up on his current phone or print it out and take it with him into a Corporate store. Cuz most of the time, they aren't in sync w/online reps.

Anyway.. KUDOS to you - I'm nominating you for VZW C.E.O. !!

gr8lakescarter
Enthusiast - Level 2

kevinr_vzw, I sincerely appreciate your quick response, and for your input on a potential win-win resolution to my problem.  Based upon the conversation that I had with the VZW rep. last night, I was convinced that my plight had fallen on deaf ears.

I will follow your advice, and will visit my local VZW corporate store at my earliest opportunity this week.  I will, most definitely come back and update you all on the results.

Thanks again!

Carter

0 Likes
Not applicable

You will find that the return policy for online purchases must be done via return online.

The Verizon Corporate Store will not take the devices back since they did not sell to you from the store, but from online stock.

Return/Exchange Procedures

See the info from the link I provided.

Good Luck

gr8lakescarter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Elector wrote:

You will find that the return policy for online purchases must be done via return online.

The Verizon Corporate Store will not take the devices back since they did not sell to you from the store, but from online stock.

Return/Exchange Procedures

See the info from the link I provided.

Good Luck

Thank you Elector.  Unfortunately, it appears that I am back to my original problem, and that this (online vs. store-bought) policy contradicts the information that kevinr_vzw provided to me earlier...  I hesitate to proceed until someone at VZW can give me some concrete info on this... but the 14-day clock is ticking.  It really can't be this convoluted, can it?  I'm not asking for a refund, nor am I calling it quits...yet...  I simply want to exchange 2 unopened phones for 2 more expensive phones, and not be subjected to an unreasonable fee.  Brother!

0 Likes
kay_dee_gee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@greatlakescarter

0 Likes
kay_dee_gee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can't "officially" confirm or deny what Elector said about returns - via original purchase location.  But I can tell you with certainty that I have returned/replaced phones and/or accessories MANY TIMES in the last 10+ years to whichever place was most convenient for me to do so. Without regard or restrictions on purchase location.  However. .. perhaps that policy allows them the "right of refusal" to do so. In my experience, the store can and will process the replacement - however they MAY choose to ship it to you from warehouse stock, in lieu of depleting their store stock - which has been the case with phones for me. However - ANY charger or other peripheral that is available in store - they have always replaced for me. Bout the ONLY thing I can say has been consistently positive in my VZW history. 

Just call the store - ask for Mgr. - get their name and ask them if they're able process such a request.

gr8lakescarter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you kay_dee_gee.  I will follow your advice, and report back. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Confirmation is not necessary. I provided the link direct from Verizon wireless.

Accessories I have found are not too difficult to exchange, however Verizon provides a return label when you purchase on line right in the box.

The 14 day return policy is inclusive of the first day of sale at a store or from the day a customer signs for a package. After that time frame Verizon has you locked into a two year contract, early termination fees of $350 per device, and as the original poster has found the rep did not give Verizon wireless policy.

If you go to the store (calling first is a good idea) and they say you must return via the label to the warehouse the time frame is getting shorter.

Then say you return the devices late, are they now considered new? You have to be worry with these returns.

And of course make sure you get a receipt for the return or you may get dinged with devices never received, devices damaged, which if you check this forum or Google happens quite often.

Good Luck