Reprehensible In-Store Service
customercomplaint1

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter in order to detail the reprehensible treatment that my fiancé (Caroline (removed)) and I received at the hands of your employees at your Verizon branch located at:11870 Santa Monica Blvd Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90025.

It began when my fiancé’s phone stopped working. We went in to the store on Saturday, May 17, 2014, in order to obtain a replacement. Neither of us smart-phones, nor do we wish to at this time. As such, we went directly to where the store kept its “normal” phones, and found a slightly newer version of her old phone. We explained our situation to the wireless consultant who helped us, Ricardo (removed), and told him that we didn’t want anything but an immediate, cheap replacement for my fiancé’s phone.

(removed) then began to sell us a smart phone. We politely refused, and asked to simply buy the replacement phone at retail price. (removed) informed us retail price was around $180. At this point I told my fiancé that I had seen her phone, used, on Amazon for around $20. (removed) interrupted me to tell my fiancé that she could finance the phone at around $8/mo for 24 months, as if paying over $200 for a phone that costs $20 was somehow a better deal than $180. He also told us that there would be a restocking fee of $50 if we returned the phone.

Since my fiancé needed a phone immediately, we had no choice but to purchase the phone in the store. I told my fiancé (in front of (removed)) that we should buy the phone retail, and return it once a much cheaper replacement had arrived from Amazon. This is where things began to take a turn towards the absurd. (removed), hearing our conversation, tells me sternly that I shouldn’t be saying that we’re going to return the phone, otherwise he won’t sell it to us. I ignore him, and my fiancé and I decide that since we are two impoverished students, my plan seems to be the least expensive option, and thus the most preferable. At this point (removed) angrily tells us that “we work on sales, just to let you know,” as if implying that our money is supposed to put food on his table. I took issue with his attitude, and he rudely told me that if I didn’t like what he was saying I could leave the store.

My fiancé finished her transaction, and the story would end there, were it not for (removed) continued belligerence a few days later, on Monday, May 19th.  That day, my fiancé’s old phone had inexplicably started working again. Naturally, we returned to the same store to return the $200 phone that we purchased retail.  Unfortunately, (removed) was there to help us once again. He began to tell us that he was going to have to charge us a $50 restocking fee, and even reminded us that he had warned us that we would be charged a $50 restocking fee. This is important, because he doubled down on the fact that we were going to be charged a $50 restocking fee. It bears mentioning at this point that (removed) title is “Lead Wireless Consultant.”

My fiancé had paid for the phone part in cash, part on her credit card. This made the refund complicated, and (removed) got on the phone with his boss to help him through the transaction. During this time, my fiancé read the receipt, and noticed that the restocking fees were $35 for featured phones, $50 for smart phones and $100 for iPhones. She confronted (removed) on his deception, at which point he sheepishly looked down and continued talking with his boss about the transaction. At some point he mumbled that it was a misunderstanding. At this point, I was understandably angry. Not only had (removed) previously told us that he worked on commission, thereby implying that we were there to serve him, but he also lied to us about the restocking fee. To be fair, he may have genuinely not known about the restocking fees, although given his demeanor and previous behavior that is incredibly unlikely. The bottom line is this: the “Lead” Wireless Consultant is a cheat and a liar, or he’s oblivious to store policies.

If the problem ended here, I would chalk it up to one (removed) disgruntled employee. I demanded an explanation for his deception, at which point he handed me the phone. The person on the phone said he was the boss of the store manager. His name escapes me (Bob something, I think), but the store’s manager is Cesar (removed). I assume I was speaking to the district manager. I began to explain to him everything I have just written. He interrupted me twice to explain to me the reasons behind the restocking fee. I reiterated the fact that we weren’t upset about paying a restocking fee, but that one of his employees had tried to deceive us and cheat us out of our money. The man on the other phone didn’t even react to what I was saying. He simply said, “Are there any other questions you have for me?”

Never in my life have I had such an experience in a store. I’ve worked retail at Best Buy and Circuit City, along with countless other customer service jobs. I understand the need and the pressure to make your numbers look good. These two Verizon employees are the epitome of snake oil salesmen. (removed) stood to gain absolutely nothing by overcharging us a restocking fee – the man on the phone told me that commission wasn’t based on returns. (removed) boss, when told about all of the insulting and repulsive treatment we received, seemed annoyed that we were bothering him.

My fiancé is on a family plan with her family. I am a T-Mobile customer. I can assure you, that after vile and abhorrent treatment we received, I will never be a Verizon customer. I would appreciate a reply acknowledging receipt of this complaint, as your district manager seems to not care in the slightest. I would also appreciate an email address or some other way to ensure this letter reaches your corporate complaint department.

With Contempt,

Doug (removed)

Private information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes