Recurring monthly license charges for games/apps
SoltanGris

I began life as a verizon wireless customer with what should have been a monthly bill of ~$120.00 for wireless service for my wife, myself, and my daughter. This rate has steadily climbed to it's current level of $190.00 per month. Along the way I met with the same oops! and dammits! that everyone probably has. I ended up getting texting packages added on for myself and my daughter, as well as some data packages that seemed to fit. It was a bit annoying how EVERY little thing seemed to be an extra charge: You want to check email over your phone? That's extra..even if it's through verizon for christ's sake!

There seems to be extremely limited access to any apps or games that aren't provided directly by verizon, again at a cost. Occasionally you can find a game that will actually let you try it out for free, though there's barely enough time to even get through the intro scenes. The cost of these games are shocking. Not only can you not transfer the games/apps from phone to phone when you inevitably switch, they charge either a monthly or unlimited fee to use the software. Anywhere from (and I'm being nice here) 1.99 / month - 5.99 unlimited up to 1.99 per 24 hour period or 9.99/month for something like VZ navigator (which BTW is a total piece of crapola since it's upgrade)

These monthly app subscriptions are what have been causing my bill to skyrocket. A couple of the apps I was "subscribed" to i hadn't ever even used, a few I had used briefly but not for months and months, and there was a single game that I had become addicted to that I was aware was costing me money per month.

Now, is it just me or is it nearly impossible to really figure out what subscriptions are being charged each month? I also cannot figure out where on the website I can go to manage these subscriptions (read: cancel and block!). I finally found where you can see a list of them, but where are the checkboxes and the accompanying "Cancel/Delete" button?? It's almost as if Verizon doesn't want to make it easy to remove these unused (at least in my case) application subscriptions.

I have no need for them and do not want to continue to be charged for them... How do I get rid of them and, more importantly, how do I make sure that they stay gone? I do like Verizon, but for the amount of money I give them each month (I also have home TV, Internet, and 2 landlines through Verizon) I think they could be a bit less greedy (they are already getting a wheelbarrow full of cash from me every month.. why trick me out of $20 bucks?) and a bit more concerned with thier customers' financial and emotional well-being. Personally I would feel like a turd if I charged my customers one dime more than they should be charged.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Recurring monthly license charges for games/apps
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

In your online account you have to access to view the games/applications that you have. If you want to cancel/delete them you will need to do that from the device itself.

0 Likes
SoltanGris
0 Likes
SoltanGris

Lee-Lee wrote:

In your online account you have to access to view the games/applications that you have. If you want to cancel/delete them you will need to do that from the device itself.

Why isn't there a way to do it on the website? This would be more convenient. What if one loses a  phone that has some month to month licensed apps? How would one then cancel them? The backup assistant would be able to restore compatable apps only which could then be deleted to cancel the subscription. What happens to those apps that are not compatable with the new phone?

0 Likes
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

At this time that is not one of the options offered in the online account, however, it maybe something to come in the future. If you have a month to month application, I would think that you would have to use the application within that month to be charged. So therefore, if you do not use the application you will not be charged for it. Our customer service department should be able to cancel the application for you, if you are not able to cancel it yourself. If you purchase a new phone and the application is not supported on the device you will not be charged for it. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

Lee-Lee wrote:

At this time that is not one of the options offered in the online account, however, it maybe something to come in the future. If you have a month to month application, I would think that you would have to use the application within that month to be charged. So therefore, if you do not use the application you will not be charged for it. Our customer service department should be able to cancel the application for you, if you are not able to cancel it yourself. If you purchase a new phone and the application is not supported on the device you will not be charged for it. Hope this helps!

Sooo not true. Applications that are downloaded for a monthly subscription are recurring charges. You will be monthly regardless of if you use it or not.

0 Likes
FlamingoNut
Enthusiast - Level 2

sadie85 wrote:

Sooo not true. Applications that are downloaded for a monthly subscription are recurring charges. You will be monthly regardless of if you use it or not.

And that's a fact.  I found out the hard way.  I downloaded a game for dd to play; I thought it was a $2.99 one time charge.  I fail to check the detail of my bill each month and just realized I was charged $2.99 for the last 5 months, for a game that was played for about 10 minutes just after downloading.  I tried to call cust service but since the phone is in dh's name, they wouldn't help me, another Verizon frustration.  Thankfully I found this thread and found out how to rid my account of this charge.

And worth repeating, you will be charged monthly regardless if you play the game or not...

0 Likes