Reconnect Fees
DoneWrong
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a long time Verizon wireless (and FIOS) customer and missed my November 2020 bill but paid it in full with my December 2020 bill, no problem.  In my January bill I was shocked to see they charged me a reconnection fee of $20 per line. Apparently they can disconnect you at any time if you are late and then hit you with the reconnect fee.   The Verizon website says they can charge $5 or an interest charge if you pay late but doesn't mention $20 per line!  Outrageous!

Re: Reconnect Fees
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was your service actually disconnected at some point? You should call the financial services department at 866.266.1445 to find out when or if you were actually disconnected and to work out payment arrangements. I could see a late fee for one missed payment, but the reconnection fee would usually only occur if you have a repeated occurrence of paying late. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DoneWrong
Enthusiast - Level 1

I talked extensively with Verizon customer service about this.  I was told the ‘system’ can automatically generate a disconnect anytime after a Bill is overdue.  Once it does this it can charge a reconnection fee of $20 per line.  You don’t actually lose service, it’s a technical disconnect that allows Verizon to charge a reconnect fee.  My account was paid in full with no outstanding charges.  The Verizon FAQs don’t mention this $20 per line charge if the bill is overdue, even for just a short period of time.  Must be a good money maker.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your long time as our customer and are here to help.  Normally a $5 Late Fee is for when a bill is paid after the due date.  This can occurs anytime that bill is not paid by the due date.  A Reconnect Fee of $20 per line is normally only issues for an account is suspended after being late a certain number of days (always multiple days) after the due date.  Here is more information:

https://www.verizon.com/support/promise-to-pay-faqs/#:~:text=Keep%20in%20mind%20that%20a,charged%20t.... (

Let's check on your billing together so we can go over everything in more detail.  A private message has been sent to assist you further.

0 Likes
rmherriford
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’ve been a Verizon customer for years and the same thing is happening to me now. My service was never suspended. I have 4 lines so that’s $80. I’ve spoken to a Customer Service Rep and a Supervisor. Nothing was resolved as the Supervisor was only willing to credit me $40. The credit needs to be for $80. In addition the Supervisor wouldn’t allow me to speak with her boss. Why would or should I pay reconnection fees when none of my lines were suspended. 

Thank you.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rmherriford wrote:

I’ve been a Verizon customer for years and the same thing is happening to me now. My service was never suspended. I have 4 lines so that’s $80. I’ve spoken to a Customer Service Rep and a Supervisor. Nothing was resolved as the Supervisor was only willing to credit me $40. The credit needs to be for $80. In addition the Supervisor wouldn’t allow me to speak with her boss. Why would or should I pay reconnection fees when none of my lines were suspended. 

Thank you.

Ramona 

Perhaps you should reach out to the financial services department at 866.266.1445 to resolve this issue if it was incorrectly charged. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KMK2Cents

The reconnect fees are outrageous!  We are long time customers with 11 lines.  We were sick with COVID and got behind on our last months bill.  My next bill is showing that we will have a reconnect fee of $20 for EACH line.  That is $220 added on to our bill when our service was never even disconnected for non payment.  I don't even get hit that hard if my mortgage payment is late.  How is this legal?  I understand a reconnect fee for the account, but for each line?  We don't get the option to pay one line at a time or have a partial payment directed to certain lines to minimize the fees.  You pay all or nothing.  So why are the wireless companies allowed to get away with gauging us with these re-connect fees?   It not like they need to send a technician out to climb a pole to reconnect my service.  If fact, my service was never disconnected or suspended.   They are getting away with this "late fee" by calling it a "reconnect fee".     Seems to me that this is something that the attorney general should look into. 

@vzw_customer_support 

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KMK2Cents, it is important to have a clear understanding of your bill. Reconnect fees do apply to each line of service on the account that is suspended, as a fee is associated with reconnecting service to that line. We do encourage payment arrangements to be made when needed to avoid such fees. A promise to pay can be made online via My Verizon under payment arrangements tab. 

*Joshua

0 Likes