RINGTONE FOR FORWARDS FROM BUSINESS LINE?
toader
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a personal phone I carry with me everywhere I go.  I want to add a new business line for my business.  I do not want to carry 2 phones.  I was thinking of adding a new business line, and forwarding the business line to my personal phone so I can get both business & personal calls on a single phone.

HOWEVER,

I need a way to distinguish which calls are coming through the business line vs which are coming through my personal line.  That way I can answer the phone differently depending on the call.  What I need, is a special ringtone that is only used when calls are forwarded from my business line.

Doesn't this seem like a great idea???  Perfectly logical...  but as far as I can tell, this is not an option.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  If not possible, this really should be added as a new feature.  It would be a huge help to verizon customers who have businesses.  Carrying two phones everywhere is completely ridiculous.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: RINGTONE FOR FORWARDS FROM BUSINESS LINE?
toader
Enthusiast - Level 2

For now, the google voice thing may be the best solution...  I just set it up.  As you say though, I can't use caller id then.  Also, I can only make outbound calls if I use the web interface.

The best way would be if Verizon had the option to add a 2nd line to a single phone with a distinct ringtone if it goes through the 2nd phone number.  This way, I would know it was a business call, and I could still see the incoming caller's phone number...  maybe even a second voicemail system for the 2nd line would be helpful...  all while still using a single phone.  Also, of course we would need the option to make calls from either of the two phone numbers using a single phone.  I think this would SERIOUSLY add a lot of new verizon customers from the business world where a feature like this would be VERY VERY popular.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

I don't think that your phone has the ability to distinguish whether or not the call you are receiving originally was directed to your line, or it was forwarded from another line. All it knows is that it is receiving a call.

0 Likes
toader
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you are correct...  but this would be a GREAT new feature!  There are a TON of people out there like myself that have a phone for both personal and business calls...  and they would prefer to have only 1 phone.

Really, all I need is the option to add a 2nd phone number on a single phone, and each number has a distinct ringtone...  that way I can use the same phone for personal or business, and I will always know which line it's coming from because of the ringtone.

I would love to submit this as a feature request to Verizon, but I really have no idea how to go about doing that.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Sorry I don't have experience forwarding a line to my Verizon phone. But if the call coming in from the forwarded line shows a distinct number in the caller ID, you could add it to your contacts in your Verizon phone and assign a different ringtone to it that way.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I doubt that this is possible without people being able to take advantage of it to bypass their minute allowance and just adding the forwarded number to their F&F list.

For example if your phone only interprets calls forwarded from your business number as originating from your business number, you could just add your business number to your F&F list. You would then never have to pay for any of your business calls as they would be included in your Friends & Family. Don't see how Verizon could possibly consider this a good idea.

You can achieve this somewhat by putting a distinct ringtone on all of your personal contacts in your phone. Then any phone calls you receive without this distinct ringtone would be answered as if they were business calls. If they are not business calls, you can then add the distinct ringtone to this new contact. It should not be that hard to facilitate on your own. Especially, if you only want to carry around 1 instead of 2 phones.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

lewisr13 wrote:

Sorry I don't have experience forwarding a line to my Verizon phone. But if the call coming in from the forwarded line shows a distinct number in the caller ID, you could add it to your contacts in your Verizon phone and assign a different ringtone to it that way.

I meant, does your business number show on caller ID or does the caller number show? If it's your business number then you could add it to your contacts with a distinctive ringtone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Toader, thanks for the great suggestion. At this time, we do not have a way to differentiate between calls that are forwarded to your phone and calls that come directly to your phone. I am not sure if this is something that can possibly be implemented at a later time. One thing you can look into is Google Voice. You can create a new number on Google Voice, and then forward those calls to your cell. It gives you the option of showing the number that the call is coming from or your Google Voice number. The one drawback of doing this is that your caller id will show the Google Voice number and not the number the call is actually coming from. It is still something you may want to consider. 

0 Likes
toader
Enthusiast - Level 2

For now, the google voice thing may be the best solution...  I just set it up.  As you say though, I can't use caller id then.  Also, I can only make outbound calls if I use the web interface.

The best way would be if Verizon had the option to add a 2nd line to a single phone with a distinct ringtone if it goes through the 2nd phone number.  This way, I would know it was a business call, and I could still see the incoming caller's phone number...  maybe even a second voicemail system for the 2nd line would be helpful...  all while still using a single phone.  Also, of course we would need the option to make calls from either of the two phone numbers using a single phone.  I think this would SERIOUSLY add a lot of new verizon customers from the business world where a feature like this would be VERY VERY popular.

Deinest

There must be a way. My friends LG phone does this but only shows on first ring. Drives him crazy can't get phone out fast enough. There is also an app but only works on rooted phones.

0 Likes