Question about line access, canceling data plan and retain number
captainhook

Hi,

Previously, we had 2 lines in a family plan. Both iPhones 4S. But then I received a company phone and was able to cancel the data plan on one of them but keep the number active so I can forward calls to my company phone. And I paid $10/month for this until the end of my contract terms. What is this called? I forgot the term Verizon uses.

Second question is with the new iPhone 6. Can the same be done or has Verizon changed the terms and conditions for the iPhone 6 that requires you to absolutely have a data plan? I know in the past others have purchased iPhones on a discount from Verizon and then simply substitute it with a feature/dumb feature phone and manage to get rid of the data plan.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question about line access, canceling data plan and retain number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

captainhook,

Thanks for the questions. I would love to answer anything I can, but I am confused about what was done to cancel a data plan and transfer the calls to a work phone. Any time you have a smartphone with us, a data plan is required.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
captainhook

I stopped using the smartphone (iPhone 4s) that was part of the family plan. This was about 1.5 years ago. I called and explain that I do not need to use my phone anymore since I have a company work phone that I will be using. So, I setup forwarding of all calls to my work phone. Verizon then set the phone to a "(term which I don't remember anymore)". For the rest of the 6-9 months of so left in my contract, I was paying $10 instead of $10 (each additional family line) + $30 (2GB plan). To clarify, I'm paying $10 but I cannot get calls on the phone or make calls from the iPhone 4s anymore. All calls were just being forwarded.

As was explained to me, having sign a contract just means I need to fulfill my contract term (2 years) but if I don't use the smartphone anymore, then I don't need to pay for the data plan.

I just need to know what is the (term which I don't remember anymore) is called.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

On Verizon, you have to have a data plan with a smartphone.

It sounds in your situation as if you activated a basic phone on your line you had forwarding to your work phone. In THIS case, you would have been able to take the data plan off the line.

CURRENTLY, though, if you purchase a subsidized smartphone on Verizon, the data plan has to remain on the line for the duration of the contract. This is to prevent people from getting a $400-$500 subsidy on a smartphone and then immediately switching the line back to a basic phone to keep from paying for a data plan. Too many people took advantage of this loophole so Verizon has closed it.

0 Likes
captainhook

When I did this with the iPhone 4s, it was subsidized (I bought it when it came out from verizon for $199) and I was still about 6-9 months left in my contract. I did not replace it with a basic phone. Verizon told me the option to (term which I don't remember now) and I did it.

Since the iPhone 6 is out and am wondering if I can do the same. It is not much of a savings. 2 years at $10/month still comes to $240. Add in the $199, it is $440. Keep in mind you cannot activate the iPhone on any other carrier (or at least Verizon told me too with the iPhone 4s). So basically either use it overseas or only on wifi mode.

For me, I had 6-9 months left on my contract then, and I got an iPhone 5 from my company. So it works out well, but am trying to get the iPhone 6 if possible since I can easily add it as a secondary line to my wife's account.

0 Likes