Qualify for early upgrade?
cschilling3
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone is eligible for an upgrade on January 14.  I've been having a lot of problems on my phone recently and I'm worried it is going to completely die before my upgrade is current.  Its the only phone I have so obviously I need it to keep working. Is there anyway I can get verizon to change my upgrade date?  My mom had the same problem with her phone and they changed the upgrade date for her no problem and she was able to get a new Samsung Galaxy.  I have called customer service several times and get a different answer every time. They have been very unhelpful and it's kindve insulting after being a loyal customer for so many years.  Any thoughts on why they gave my mom an upgrade no problem but keep fighting me?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Qualify for early upgrade?
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Early upgrades at a discounted price are pretty much a thing of the past.  You have to fulfill the terms of the contract you agreed to.

You can upgrade your device at any time, however, by purchasing the device at full retail price.

Other options include purchasing a device from a third party using eBay, Craigslist, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Early upgrades at a discounted price are pretty much a thing of the past.  You have to fulfill the terms of the contract you agreed to.

You can upgrade your device at any time, however, by purchasing the device at full retail price.

Other options include purchasing a device from a third party using eBay, Craigslist, etc.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Or you could borrow one from a friend/relative who has an old phone laying around they are not using. I have personally loaned/given several phones to friends over the years who were unable to make their phone last until they were eligible for a discounted upgrade.

Edman121
Enthusiast - Level 2

Personally I think this is going to hit Verizon where it hurts. I am always seeing competitors talk about getting early upgrades or "new" smart phones every year.

ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Personally, I don't understand why people have a hard time honoring the contract onto which they voluntarily entered. The sense of entitlement is astounding.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Edman121, If you are looking for a option to get an upgrade every 6 months we may have a option for you! If you prequalify and are eligible to upgrade right now you could possbily participate in our Edge Program. Check it out... http://vz.to/1c1Zmsm This is a great option!

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
bethsimmons101514
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not called a sense of entitlement. It's called sometimes there should absolutely be exceptions. There's a thing as caring about the customer, you know.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Except everyone thinks their situation should be the exception. Then when they hear about someone getting an exception when they didn't, it makes them even madder. For this reason, I would think, Verizon is extremely hesitant in granting any exceptions.

bethsimmons101514
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're in need of a phone and very close to your upgrade date, that I would like, should qualify for an exception. If you're just bored with your phone and are months away from your date, obviously that doesn't count.

The problem also lies in the way these things are handled, and there's a way to treat customers, and a way NOT to treat customers.

0 Likes
bethsimmons101514
Enthusiast - Level 3

That I would think* not that I would like.

0 Likes