Re: Punished for being a loyal customer
sjr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the website, I have the Verizon Plan Medium 3 GB.  I had the family share plan, which gave us 700 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, and unlimited data.Once we removed our daughter from the plan, her line access fee and her data plan were removed.  I think they explained that the monthly fee would be less by switching plans and doing the device payment plan.  Since we never used an excessive amount of data, it made sense.  I've had the Galaxy S5 for almost 2 years, and the same phone for my husband, which I got Nov 27, 2015.  They're financing $600 for the newer one.  My husband asked if he could have a phone like mine since he still had a basic one.  I thought I'd have to pay a separate data fee, so I took it, only to find out afterward that all he wanted was a phone that had the capability of playing solitaire!  I know that has nothing to do with everything else.  Unfortunately, the bill of sale didn't itemize the discounts and rebates that made the tablet "free".  I thought I was getting a $100 rebate, and it was $50.  All the discounts and the rebate were all handwritten and not identified as to what each one was.  I have to chalk that up to being so easily swayed.  I'm assuming there's no way to reduce the cost of the new S5, or trade it in for a more basic phone.  I would like to understand the difference between having the payment plan, and buying a phone at a discounted price, especially since I signed a 2 year contract on the new one.  The biggest reason I've stuck with Verizon is that I get excellent reception almost anywhere.  I've heard complaints from friends who haven't been happy with other carriers. At this point, I realize what's done is done. and I just want to know how best to proceed in July, when the contract is up, and I'll be purchasing a new phone.  My view on it is that I attribute it to not fully understanding what I was actually getting, being swayed by a salesman by not sticking to my original comment about the tablet, and agreeing to accept it.  Could you please explain which option costs less, the payment plan or the discount price?  And is there a more appropriate plan with the discounted price?  We don't need large amounts of minutes, but do need a fair amount of mobile to mobile, as my daughter only has a cell phone, and now she's using another carrier.  Thanks for being patient.  When I'm confronted with too many options, I tend to  get overwhelmed.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The most economical decision will depend on the phone, and what its subsidized price is and what the full price is. However, there is a quick calculation you can do to help.

If you go with a contract with reduced price phone rather than device payment on full price phone, you must understand your monthly access fee will be $40 rather than $20 for the entire contract term. That adds up to an extra $480 per year. So add $480 to the reduced price. If it is less than the full price, go with contract,  if it is more then go with device payment plan. Make sense?

You see, Verizon always gets you to pay the full cost of the phone one way or another. The low prices on the contract phones don't tell the whole story as you end up paying $480 more in access fees over the contract.

I am sorry about your tablet. That is a common sales tactic unfortunately. You now have a contract for 2 years on the tablet for $10/month access.

Also remember you gave 14 days to take any phone back for a token restocking fee.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

IM not sure where a tablet came in when he wanted a smartphone

0 Likes
sjr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks so much for an explanation I can finally understand.  I don't think anyone else explained it so clearly.  I'm not happy about being locked into the tablet access charge, but $10 is better than $40.  I did at least get the data plan removed.  I already have an IPad, so was not looking for a tablet.  At least my total bill every month is somewhere around $135.  Before the modifications, it was about $200, more than it was with my daughter 'on it.  I thought it would save me money, but unfortunately, it didn't.  I didn't pay attention to the 14 day return policy.  Somehow, I thought I could still return it and just pay more than the restocking fee.I even offered to just give it back with no compensation  I was also afraid I might lose the rebate on the tablet if I returned it before I received it.  I've learned quite a bit, and will not make the same mistakes again!  Maybe because Best Buy works with many carriers, they're not as inclined to try and upsell.  My son worked there until he died, and everyone knew him.  They probably didn't want to mess with his mom!   Besides, I have always gone in there knowing exactly what I wanted; a new phone at a discounted phone with a 2 year contract.  Had it not been Black Friday, I would have gone there to make the changes.  I didn't think of waiting a few days; I wanted to be sure my daughter could get her old number back.  There are much worse things than an expensive cell phone plan, like losing a son.  I thank you for clearing up my confusion.  I was already finished complaining about it, but I did want to understand the difference between the two options.  I didn't know Best Buy would have increased the plan price to compensate for the discounted phone.  Whenever possible, I try to ask questions rather than start out on the attack.  From what I've read. everyone who replies to a complaint is very polite, unbiased, and patient.  Certainly more patient than I would have been!  Unfortunately, that's not my strong suit. Thanks again for the clarification.

0 Likes
sjr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told that as part of their Black Friday promotion, I was entitled to a free tablet.  I didn't stick to my guns and "just say no" even though I didn't want it.  I also thought I could give it away, but that would mean paying the early termination fee by dropping the phone access.  I realize I'm responsible for some of the mess that ensued.  Lesson learned and I won't be persuaded to get things I don't want by a salesman trying to make his commission!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Please accept my sympathies for your son. There is not much worse than a parent having to live through a son or daughter dying before they do.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

rachel12b wrote:

pherson

I understand your analogy. But I also believe if they wanted to, Verizon could find a way to both fix the problem and keep their customers happy. Obviously they made the current system have an exception for people with the old Verizon "Nationwide" plan. They could have made it with an exception for any/all old plans. They didn't. I understand they want these plans gone and most people will eventually agree to it. If my kids were all grown I would too. One day I probably will. If I'm still with Verizon.

When Verizon took over Alltell, they had a contract which had requirements that people could keep their Alltell plans and Verizon could not change them at all. The old Verizon plans with unlimited data which were recently allowed to purchase phones with payment plans ALSO had a $20/line price increase on the unlimited data at the same time. That is a $480 price increase over the life of the payment plan.

You have an old Alltell plan which Verizon is UNABLE to institute the same $20 price increase on due to contract restrictions made when purchasing those Alltell lines and THAT is likely why you are not given the same option to purchase a phone with payments over time. Had Verizon been allowed to increase you unlimited data cost, possibly you would have been able to purchase phones over time with them. Unfortunately, Verizon was not given that choice and they in turn are not giving you that choice.

Regardless, you DO have the option of going with the Apple offer of purchasing a phone on payments since it appears you are looking for an iPhone. You would have to purchase AppleCare with this option, though.

You could ALSO switch to a current Verizon plan AND have Family Base($5/month for the account) activated on your account. At the monthly price you are paying for your service, ~$500, you can get a shared data allowance of 50 GB for $375 and 4 line access fees of $20 for a total monthly cost of $460 + tax/fees. You can then place a limit on your children's lines at a very generous 15 GB/line leaving 10 GB each for you and your husband. You would then be able to purchase phones on payment plans thru Verizon if you chose to do so. Keep in mind, purchasing phones on payments will give you an additional 2 GB/month for each payment plan which would allow you to up your children's allowances to 17 GB/month.

sandmam1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gee isn't at&t offering $650 for you to get on board with their company and a loyal verizon customer as yourself has to put up with this -if you didn't catch it [removed] !!! I call foul !! Verizon must have just made an oversight hoping you and others like you would not catch it - since you are airing your irrateness I hope that you will continue to air it in all ways possible It seems verizon would want to keep a loyal customer such as yourself and will hopefully do all it takes to keep your loyal business  Thanks for the heads up!! GOOD LUCK or better service and price else where my friend -[removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I kind of remember that Alltel did have some kind of Friends and Family plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

From what I remember Verizon had it and during the transition over to Verizon there was a F&F plan which even if you got it from Altell it was a Verizon plan. When people wanted to up their minutes or add/lower their minutes they were forced onto it or stick with what they had. It is way too long ago for me so I may be wrong on some points. Altell for the transition over may have copied the plan to lock in their customers to the price fixed agreement which is why he doesn't have the  $20 data plan increase.