Re: Punished for being a loyal customer
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I understand what you're saying but you're not understanding what's being said to you. You have an older plan than even mine. My plan was always a Verizon plan. Yours was not. I have an old Verizon Nationwide plan and pay now $50 for unlimited data (they increased our data plans by $20 and in exchange they JUST allowed us to be able to upgrade using DPP) but my call minutes are limited. I can't move to a "cheaper" plan if I want my unlimited. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) Alltel plans did not receive the $20 increase that us Verizon unlimited data plan holders received. If that is the case you didn't get "penalized" (I put quotes because many felt like it was a punishment with the increase. I do not) by the increase but you also didn't get the trade off of being able to upgrade with DPP as an olive branch for the more than 50% increase in data plan price. Ultimately, we weren't treated more special than you as I'm almost certain you have and continue to pay less than anyone that still has an old Nationwide plan plus unlimited data. For some, they would gladly trade plans with you to pay less in the long run.

Personally, I don't find the DPP plan a great deal. I was paying full retail up front before they allowed this to start because after the first time I realized it was better. I actually own my device from day one. When I get the urge to upgrade I can sell my device to offset what the new one would be (and make more money on it then any trade-in offer Verizon offers). You're upset with Verizon for not giving you the same olive branch they gave those whose plans they increased....but would you have been happy if they forced you into paying the same amount total that any of us on Verizon unlimited data plans are paying and then adding on the monthly payments of devices? If the options people have suggested and you have acknowledged you are aware of aren't acceptable to you then it doesn't really matter what anyone says to you. You won't be happy because you won't get to keep your Alltel plan AND receive the same "benefit" those that are paying more to have less than your currently receive. I'm not saying that to be flip or mean...just honest.

The Apple payment plan is a great one if you want to stay with an iPhone...there is also the option of self financing (so to speak) by using a credit card with no interest and spacing the payments out to over the promotional period that they offer no interest (often 12, 18, or 24 months). If you don't qualify for Apple's program but can qualify for their Barclay financing that's another option that sometimes has interest free promotions based on the amount you finance. Options are there that can actually eliminate the frustration you're having over something that you can't change. That's if staying with Verizon is something you really want to do. Right now, the one thing you know to be true is that your plan is not eligible for Verizon's DPP. You just have to decide what you want to do about it. You have options.

Weth
Legend

A Few Things in fairness

the Verizon unlimited customers with an original Verizon plan just had a $20 increase in monthly fees per line, in junction with allowing payment plans for new phones.  Your plan did not

I purposely did not say Verizon is losing money on you, just they are making far less on your 2 unlimited lines. They have no desire to keep your unlimited lines pulling down average revenue per line. 

Reduce your stress, take the Apple deal if you can get it. You won't get what you want from Verizon with your plan. 

And I do read every word you say. 

Most here are just seeing someone with a prime plan that others would pay big money for, and complaining. 

rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess everyone is going to feel the way they feel. I can't understand anyone being "jealous" of my two unlimited lines. I didn't do anything special to get them, I just refused to change plans whenever offered. Anyone who had an unlimited plan had the same choice.

How much is the average 4 line customer with an old Verizon unlimited plan paying for the plan and for each line's access? I pay $40 for each line's access. Only two of them have unlimited. I have no idea what someone limited to 6 gigs (which is what my husband's limit is) pays for access. Or what someone with 4 gigs (which is my limit for some reason) pays either.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining while I have a "golden" plan. I'm paying a lot per month so I guess maybe I don't think about the cost of my "core" plan.  I consider the total. I just paid $509 for 4 lines today. To me that seems like a lot to not be able to upgrade his phone without losing unlimited but whatever, I'm tired of defending myself.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I had an unlimited plan and voluntarily gave it up and got a better deal for me. I certainly am not jealous.

The unlimited data portion for old Verizon plans is now $50, plus the cost of minutes and text that is about $60, so $110.

Have you looked to get your plans that already do not have unlimited to a more modern plan? You can get 16 GB to share with the 2 phones now without unlimited for $120. I bet that is less than you pay now and you get more data.

If you wanted to switch everyone off the old plan, you could get 26 GB of shared data for $220.

*if you purchase new phones, the monthly device payment is extra to above, but still far cheaper than you are paying now. That would leave you with over $3,000 per year to buy phones, pay overages if you go over 26 GB.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's  $30 per unlimited data(now  $50), $10 per line access after the first line. So if you have 4 lines unlimited data. Depending on your minute plan it's around $70 minimum.

So 900 minute plan with unlimited would look like this.

$70+30 (3 lines)+ $120 (data) which is $220 before taxes and fees. Now if you want unlimited text that's  $250 before taxes and fees. With the current $20 data hike which doesn't affect Altell plans that's an extra $80.

So if you want subsidiary or a payment plan I would gladly change my plan with your plan if you feel like you are being shafted when we pay far more than you do.  If you spend $160 for your 4 lines with unlimited you save $60 per month and that equates to $720 a year... sorry I don't have sympathy that you can't afford a phone outright as you saved enough every year to do so just off the pland itself.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

That's a lot compared to $150 for 4 lines with unlimited data on another carrier. But some folks don't live where coverage is available.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

$509 for 4 line? Is that including overage for the 2 non-unlimited lines and any other fees?

0 Likes
sjr1
Enthusiast - Level 3

After reading the original post and all the responses, I'm more than a little confused.  I would love to have someone answer some of the concerns I have as I can't sort them out any more.  I understand that being a longtime customer doesn't count for much, so I won't play the 18 year history I have with Verizon.  When my daughter recently got married, she transferred her line on our family plan to another carrier.  They took care of the early termination fee, so that wasn't an issue.  They did, however give her a new number, and said I would have to sign a waiver of liability to get her old number back.  Unfortunately, it was Black Friday when I decided to do it, and my only thought was to avoid the mall and go to a local company store to make the change.  I have been dealing with Best Buy for a long time, but as I said, I wanted no part of the mall that day!  I'm still not sure exactly what happened that day, but I ended up having to pay $600 for a Galaxy S5, the same phone I currently have.  Previously he was on our family plan as we didn't need unlimited minutes.  I had unlimited data, but when I got the new phone (the contract was expired) they told me I couldn't keep the unlimited data, and if we chose to buy a phone, it wouldn't be at a promotional price unless we wanted to pay more for our service.  In addition, somehow they managed to convince me to take the "free" tablet.  I kept saying I didn't want it, and they told me I could sell it.  Afterward I was told if I discontinued service on the tablet, there would be an early termination fee, so how could I sell it?  I got them to drop the data plan I didn't even know I had for it, but if I drop all service on that, it's considered early termination. 

After all that background info, my question is:  Why do some retailers who offer Verizon service still sell phones at a promotional price with a 2 year contract, and Verizon itself doesn't?  I had to sign a 2 year contract and pay top dollar for a phone that is not the top of the line anymore.  I looked up the retail price of both the Galaxy 5 and S6, and they were only a few dollars different.  Usually when a newer model is released, the "old" model is much less expensive.  My 2 year contract will be up in July, but is there anything I can do about having a device payment charge on the newer phone and a 2 year contract?  The more I investigate, the more confused I get!  I may be 70 years old, but I'm not senile or stupid.  I'm just plain confused.  I would greatly someone explaining all this in a way I'll understand.  Thanks so much.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You can still get contracts even at a Verizon corporate store if you are firm -- as long as you are not a brand new customer. However, even with the upfront "cheaper" cost of the phone, an increase in monthly access fees for More Everything or Verizon plan will often make the full price payment plans a better deal. If you have an older plan, definitely push for the subsidized phone. What plan do you have?

0 Likes
rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you saying it's $250 for unlimited data and messaging for 3 lines or 4 lines?

I'm paying $140 for the Friends and Family plan plus $40 access per line so I'm paying $300 per month for basic service plus whatever overages for the two UN-unlimited lines plus insurance and apps and taxes. $300/4 is $75 per line. I do not have unlimited minutes but I do have 2000 and free mobile-to-mobile. If you're saying it is $250 for 3 lines then I'm not getting too much better a deal than you. Actually I'm not getting a better deal because I have to pay overages on two lines.

I really cannot afford to lose the two unlimited lines until my kids start paying their own bills (and the youngest is a young teen still) because they use upwards of 26 gigs EACH per month. I was told I couldn't move the two regular lines to their own plan last time I asked a few months ago. I'll ask again. I was also told Verizon doesn't offer unlimited options. Apparently some of the reps aren't informed.

I never said I couldn't afford a phone outright. I said I  should be allowed to pay per month without losing my unlimited if I want to.

0 Likes