Problem with early termination fee
zoo16

My mother in law recently bought a Wi-Fi only tablet, and went to her local (corporate-owned) Verizon store to get an option on how to get data for the tablet when she's not at home.  She currently is using a Droid 3, which has the mobile Hotspot feature built into it, but she did not know it had that feature.  And when she asked the salesperson, they told her the only option is to get a MiFi unit.  So she trusted the salesperson and bought the unit (along with the new line of data and new 2 year contract).  I did not know that she had bought a tablet, so when I visited her this past weekend, she showed me the tablet and the MiFi unit.  When I asked her why she didn't just have them enable the Hotspot feature on her phone, she said the salesperson never informed her of that option, and the salesperson told her that the MiFi was the only way she would get mobile data on the tablet.

That same day we both went to the same Verizon store and I asked them if they would take the MiFi device back, the store rep said that it was past the 14 day return policy (it had been about 30 days since the purchase was made), and that Verizon could do nothing.  If the service was cancelled, my mother-in-law would be subject to the early termination fee.  I called Verizon customer support and gave them the details, again they said nothing could be done.  This needs resolved.  The Verizon store rep did not provide good customer service by not providing any other alternative to selling a device that wasn't really needed and locking a customer into a fresh two year contract.

Labels (1)
0 Likes