Re: Postal Service Discounts for retirees.
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, Scott, our contracts are not based on the corporate discount. You'll still be under contract. The discount is considered a perk. We made our decision, like you, to go with Verizon because of the discount and service. They, obviously, don't really care about our business. Reading above, the Verizon rep asked if you still had an email address since you (we) were retired. Really?? My email was turned off within hours, and I was a PM. Then, the rep asked if you had a new job. REALLY? What part of r-e-t-i-r-e-d does he not understand? Not all retired folks go back to work. So, like I said... not worried about keeping a few old retired folks. So, adios amigos!

0 Likes
Scott3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good for you! Will you be getting a discount with your new service company? Maybe you can let us know which one you're going with and why. Interesting to see if they delete it or not. Think I will be going straight to a new carrier soon too.

0 Likes
Dusty821

Can somebody at Verizon tell us Postal Service retirees why we no longer have the discount? When I signed up with Verizon many years ago, the discount was for employees and retirees, who changed it and why is Verizon changing the rules? Sounds like a bait and switch. If you want to not give a discount to future retirees that would be fine, but leave the current retirees alone. Does this change my contract? Am I now free to go to another carrier because you changed the contract?

A detailed answer would be appreciated by the thousands of current and future retirees.

0 Likes
Scott3
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL!!! You said a mouthful there! Lucky to get a retirement check much less still have an email account ! Yeah, I thought the same thing about saying "retired" too  ! good luck to you. Might have to get that part-time job just to pay my next verizon bill, and hopefully my last...............

0 Likes
Scott3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Probably go back and look at every every agreement change and find it in the small print somewhere. Will be interesting to say what a rep might have to say about this. The people in the stores are not aware of us losing our discount, so must be fairly new change. Yes, we should have been "grandfathered" in. But you know how much that would hurt the bottom line! That's what its all about these days..........................

0 Likes
azmtngirl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Scott, I retired from usps too and have a couple post on here to voice my disappointment in Verizon. Verizon called me last week regarding a couple of issues and about losing the discount and basically they blame the usps for not including the retirees, period end of sentence and changed conversation to different subject. So I have been researching too comparing what options are available, I will be changing carriers, I am just looking for the phone I want then I will change. I did find in my research if you are a union member some of the postal unions have agreements for retirees. Mine has the discount through AT&T, also if you check Union Plus. org you can get a discount through AT&T as well. My brother switched to AT&T last year and loves it. I have to say I find it disturbing that for all the years I have been with Verizon that I mean nothing when I could have had other carriers that would have rolled over minutes, provided a wider variety of phones, and better plan options for how I use my phone. The thing is the Verizon personnel who moderate these boards are not the people who make the contract decisions so they have no power to help and just have to recite the rules as they know them. Our outrage will only be noticed when the suits at the top of Verizons food chain start feeling it in their wallets. Good Luck.

azmtngirl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Howdy, My union is APWU and on their website you can get directed to Union Plus. org, it is free to be a member of Union Plus as long as you are a member of a union. The discount comes through AT&T and is 20%.

0 Likes
azmtngirl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is an interesting thought. Would anyone else think that the retirees are being specifically targeted? In all the years that I have had the Verizon discount never once have I been asked until now to verify my employment to maintain my discount. As with the Postal Service there are a lot of companies who have had employees leave because of finding employment elsewhere, cutbacks, downsizing or for other reasons. I do not find on this board anywhere complaints from people who were formerly employed at an agency or business from which they had initially received the discount now to have to prove their current work still confirms they are eligible for the discount. Think of how many people that would involve. We are an easy target for Verizon to bring in more revenue.

0 Likes
azmtngirl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is an interesting thought. Would anyone else think that the retirees are being specifically targeted? In all the years that I have had the Verizon discount never once have I been asked until now to verify my employment to maintain my discount. As with the Postal Service there are a lot of companies who have had employees leave because of finding employment elsewhere, cutbacks, downsizing or for other reasons. I do not find on this board anywhere complaints from people who were formerly employed at an agency or business from which they had initially received the discount now to have to prove their current work still confirms they are eligible for the discount. Think of how many people that would involve. We are an easy target for Verizon to bring in more revenue.

0 Likes