Re: Postal Service Discounts for retirees.
earnestbunbury
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you're right.  I have three lines now and when the contracts up I'll switch companies.  Unless we all do this together they'll never change their policy.  Remember, you get to keep your present number.  Still have over thirty people and will get more that are singing a letter to AARP about how loyal customers get their discount taken away just when they need it most.  A huge batch of baby boomers are going to retire and a few well placed articles should really hurt their bottom line.  Besides, I'll be switching, so everyone in my family will too, since the calls to and from a single carrier are usually free, and we live in an area that most carriers cover; it's not like we're in the desert.  So for every customer they lose, they'll also lose that customers friends and family.  My sons and daughters and parents all use Verizon for the 'no minutes used' between Verizon customers thing. 

Private information removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The US Postal Service has to write it it the agreement to include retired employees. Both USPS and Verizon Wireless have to agree to follow the agreement. If the retired employees are not covered then they don't qualify for the discount.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

earnestbunbury
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fine.  then go about your way, you are a satisfied Verizon customer.  A lot of us are NOT satisfied, as we feel since we have been loyal customers we deserve the discount that's been given to us and make Verizon the giant it has become.  WE will still try to CHANGE this policy by writing letters to our congressmen about Verizon's policies on retired customers and create a lot of bad press and coverage to try and force Verizon to agree with us that they should continue giving discounts to retirees, either by switching en masse to other carriers or by having articles posted in AARP and similar outlets.  Since you are happy with not getting a discount you may go about your life and stop writing posts about how many of us feel this is a wrong-headed policy for Verizon.  Thanks for taking the time out to voice your "Thank you Verizon for dropping my discount; I completely understand your keen business sense. 

Many of us retirees are from big companies.  Companies with unions who have learned that, together, we can get things that the great unwashed (and I've been out there- they're unwashed) couldn't possibly get.  No one is going to offer you a fir salary or discounts.  You have to stand together and take what you deserve.  Thanks for your input.  I've got letters to write to Verizon's competition about how it might help them to offer a 'We won't (removed) over retirees' in their advertising.

0 Likes
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are incorrect.

0 Likes
earnestbunbury
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you retired?  Do you have a lot of time on your hands? "I read posts from this guy that says Verizon should continue giving some of their most loyal customers a discount they got from their businesses they retired from.  He keeps insisting that it would be a good policy for Verizon to continue to give the discounts.  I've replied to his posts that I think he's mistaken and that Verizon SHOULDN'T give discounts for retirees.  But he won't listen to reason.  I guess I'll just have to keep writing about this issue that doesn't affect my life in any way.  I mean, I could write about different problems in the world, or maybe volunteer and help people.  Or maybe just read a book or watch TV.  But no, I think this issue is too important; even though I've decided I don't want or need the discount.  Back to the message boards!"

0 Likes
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

Earnest, I think we are on the same page... I think. I disagree with folks that assume they know what is in the "contract" between our venerable past employer and Verizon. They don't. Although, as we both know, Verizon doesn't HAVE to honor ANY discount, when it comes down to it. They are choosing to dishonor retired folks when they need it most. Just the loyalty factor alone is catalyst enough for continuing the discount, as is well known, older folks do not like change, therefore loyalty is built in. But, more than not liking change, retirees must stick to a budget. So... POOF! Now you're Verizon...Now you're not! That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Look, I'm not upset about it as much as some folks are, because I do have a plan to switch and save when I drop 'em. I do have time to voice my opinion because I AM retired.

0 Likes
earnestbunbury
Enthusiast - Level 2

Man.  Now I feel like a real >Comment deleted< Sorry.  Just wanted us to show Verizon that giving discounts to retirees is a much better dealing with time then giving the government all our records without informing us that the NSA is getting records of all our contacts and phone calls.  My apologies.  I was just fired up about the default and was still in yahoo comments section rating mode.

>Personal info deleted<

created by jhlankford in Verizon Wireless Services - View the full discussion

Earnest, I think we are on the same page... I think. I disagree with folks that assume they know what is in the "contract" between our venerable past employer and Verizon. They don't. Although, as we both know, Verizon doesn't HAVE to honor ANY discount, when it comes down to it. They are choosing to dishonor retired folks when they need it most. Just the loyalty factor alone is catalyst enough for continuing the discount, as is well known, older folks do not like change, therefore loyalty is built in. But, more than not liking change, retirees must stick to a budget. So... POOF! Now you're Verizon...Now you're not! That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Look, I'm not upset about it as much as some folks are, because I do have a plan to switch and save when I drop 'em. I do have time to voice my opinion because I AM retired.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jhlankford,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are considering leaving us. We want you to know that we by no means would remove a discount if you are eligible. USPS is not a employeer that we have contracted for a retiree discount. We can always review plan options to find a comparable price point. Please allow us the opportunity to review this for you. Please follow me at TonyG_VZW and send a direct message to me with your mobile number and billing password. We look forward to assisting.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Let me clear some things up here.

First of all saying you are retired and on a budget is invalid. No matter what your age, everyone is I n a budget.

Second, a city may be "covered" by more than one carrier but that doesnt mean that they are all equal as far as coverage customer service data speeds etc.

Third, stop with yhe complaining about the discount. Its USPS fault not verizons. You had it as a perk from being an employee.  You are NO LONGER an employee.

The whole sense of entitlement these days is totally asinine.

0 Likes
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

pherson, you don't know what you're talking about.

1. I wasn't on a budget. You don't know my situation, so stop pretending.

2. A Kia will get you to your destination just like a Cadillac.

3. A discount, and a lie about the contract isn't an entitlement. You see, you don't know me, do you?

0 Likes