Ported from Sprint, now I lost my Google Voice number....
KentW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not sure why this is so difficult, but I ported my main number over from Sprint.  It was also my Google Voice number.... so that hwne my clients called or texted that number, any of my phones, or my laptop would ring or receive the text.  This is very key for me when I am overseas as I can use google voice to call using wifi on my laptop, and I can answer texts via google voice while I am on phone calls.

Now when I try to activate that same number (but under Verizon) Google wants to charge me $20 (which I am not happy about but willing to do) and then says that I will void my contract with Verizon if I continue to port (which I dont want to do).

VZW customer support has been worthless (!!) and they have no idea about anything Google voice wise, which shocks me as most of my friends use Google voice.

I want my Google Voice number and my cell number to be the same, just like I had before.  Can anyone help me PLEASE???

Thanks for any advise!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Ported from Sprint, now I lost my Google Voice number....
VerizonUserNH

Google Voice and Sprint had a special integration program that lets you integrate your sprint number into the google voice account. This service is not available on any carrier other than Sprint. You can get a regular google voice number and use that number and have it forwarded to your Verizon, House, Etc.. phone numbers. If you continue the current process and port your number to google voice you could be charged from Verizon for an Early Termination Fee. You will have to check with customer service.

0 Likes
KentW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Little itty bitty Sprint has the ability but big ole Verizon doesnt?  Thats truly messed up.  Come on Verizon get on the stick.  And Jim, it sure would have been nice if anyone at Verizon had a clue about Google voice.  I would have kept my number as the Google Voice number if I had known.  Now I need to change my letterhead etc.  Not a good start with Verizon here....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

KentW wrote:

Little itty bitty Sprint has the ability but big ole Verizon doesnt?  Thats truly messed up.  Come on Verizon get on the stick.  And Jim, it sure would have been nice if anyone at Verizon had a clue about Google voice.  I would have kept my number as the Google Voice number if I had known.  Now I need to change my letterhead etc.  Not a good start with Verizon here....

It's called an EXCLUSIVE deal.  Even if Verizon wanted to they can't.  Should look up what exclusive means.

KentW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good grief there is no need to get snarky.  And we wonder why there are issues in this country.

My concern was that no one at Verizon made it clear to me that this would be an issue, even though I clearly asked about it.  And if we dont let Verizon know what services we would like nothing would happen.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Google Voice has an exclusive deal with Sprint for this capability. It is unfortunate, as I think it is quite convenient to be able to have multiple phones ring at once and being able to answer the phone you are currently near.

With this said, you could try the method described in THIS post to get back the capability you had with Sprint. Unfortunately, you would still have to pay the $20 fee to port your number to Google Voice. Hopefully this method will work as successfully for you as it did many in the thread I have linked.

0 Likes