Poor signal around the Charlotte, NC Airport (CLT)
BWIALFA

I am a pilot working out of the Charlotte Airport. I have noticed that signal inside the terminal is fine but as soon as you go down the jetway or go anywhere on airport property (which covers several square miles) there appears to be no signal at all. On occasion when we have taxied away from our gate and need to call our maintenance, I can never reach them with my Verizon service. Usually the other pilot will have to call (several different carriers besides Verizon) because my phone won't work. Also, as a passenger commuting to or from work, I can never access data from the aircraft cabin while on the ground at the Charlotte airport. When I would like to check my flight status or arrival gate I am never able to do so with Verizon service. The zip code for the airport is 28208. This is not a problem at any of the other airports I fly into (just Charlotte). This has been a problem for as long as I have been a Verizon customer.

My question is:

Why is there a lack of service in this area and when will this deficiency of signal be fixed?

Thanks,

Perplexed Pilot

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor signal around the Charlotte, NC Airport (CLT)
boringusername
Master - Level 1

This is a customer to customer forum. perhaps you should switch to a carrier that works for you.

0 Likes
BWIALFA

boringusername,

Thank you for your warm welcome to the forum. As the Charlotte Douglas International Airport employs thousands of professionals I am sure I am on point with several "Verizon customer's" concerns. With over 46 million passengers passing thru the airport last year I am sure a few of those were Verizon customers as well. Perhaps you could enlighten us with your insight into this conundrum?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BWIALFA, we want you to have the service you need. Are calls, messages and data affected?

LauraL_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Tjb8p

It’s all affected.  I fly through CLT a lot, and sometimes I have trouble in the terminal.  I always have trouble on the taxiway.  I had a three hour layover last week and couldn’t contact people at work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tjb8p, it's important to us that our network is always working as intended. Per our Network engineers all 12 cell sites in and around this airport are functioning normally with no alerts or alarms. There are obstructions at airports that can interfere with our radio signal frequency and there's always the possibility of congestion depending on the tower being assessed and the number of people accessing it at one time (the latter will normally impact data primarily). While there aren't any abnormal congestion issues noted for the surrounded cell sites, obstruction of our signal is not something in which we can control. 

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
Jeffola

As a long time Verizon customer I share the sentiment of the original poster. I’ve had a huge issue with service around the airport for years. In the terminal is fine, but in December of this year both my work and personal phones had no service in the terminal at all. I can almost guarantee that they are aware. And as a long time customer it pains me that they ask questions for answers they already know.  Service in and seeing the clt airport is horrid and getting out of the terminal, in to the jet bridge end your ability to communicate by any means. 

0 Likes