Re: Poor Coverage
RitaY

HI, It is everyone that has Verizon in the office at the plant that I work in in Shelby, NC. They all have to step outside to use their phone so there is no way that I can send $250. Most plan on going to ATT because it picks up well in the office, also T Mobile and sprint pick up. This is why we are all so frustrated. Why do the others pick up but Verizon not so well. I sat right in front of a big window and still have hardly any service.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
Starquilter1

I have coverage issues where where is no building involved.  I vacation twice a year at Silver Falls State Park near Stayton Oregon.  There is NO Verizon coverage there.  Embarrassingly enough, all my friends who come for the event have AT&T and get excellent coverage in the park.  I have a website and blog I need to update while I'm on vacation and always have to drive out of the park to get reception.  I also needed to take a business trip when I was there in the spring and couldn't get directions on VZNavigator to get where I needed to go because I was out of range.  If AT&T's coverage map is supposed to be so sparse, how is it that they have coverage in that park (and have had for about the last three years) and Verizon does not?  If a tower isn't usable in that area, I may have to change providers so that I can have coverage while I'm there.  These events are important to my business and I can't use my technology while I'm there.

0 Likes
Handyman007
Enthusiast - Level 1

For home users, you can use the Verizon Network Extender if you have a high-speed Internet connection at home such as cable modem or DSL and in some cases, wireless ISP's.  These are single units that can handle up to 6 simultaneous calls and/or data connections.

There is also a Network Extender for Business (also referred to as BCNE - Business Class Network Extender).  These unis are designed to cluster, so that you can place them in strategic places around a building so that you can walk around the building without dropping a call.  There are a couple issues, though... 1. Each BCNE must have a GPS satellite signal (which makes ideal placement difficult) and Ethernet access.  2. Proper positioning of multiple units is a must if you don't want to drop calls while walking around inside the building.   You can ideally have up to 5 in a cluster as needed; although they will work in a multiple floor configuration, single floor is ideal.  Best placement is in the hallways/pathways, where at any point a phone will have line-of-sight to at least one of the BCNE units.  Their range is roughly 100 feet apart, less if there are walls or other obstructions.  Your phone will need a good signal from at least 2 of the BCNE in order to hand off as you move about the building, or the call may drop.

No matter which you use, handoff from a tower to the Network Extender is impossible.  This is a big minus.  However, handoff from the Network Extender to the macro cell sites is possible.  In our experience (a business with 50+ cell phones and 5 BCNE's on site, plus a few standard Network Extenders installed at branch offices) handoff to the macro cells when leaving a building is iffy at best, even with line-of-sight between the macro cell and a BCNE.  Cheaper and older handsets do a better job at handing off.  iPhones and newer Androids seem to have major issues.  Handoff within a cluster of BCNE will work fine if you can meet the 2 challenges mentioned in the above paragraph.

As for the cost, businesses shouldn't balk at spending $300-400 per BCNE if they standardize on Verizon.  However, Verizon should subsidize the Network Extenders to home users who have been longtime customers and suddenly encounter problems with their service.  If they do not, the bad word of mouth will cost them more than simply losing a "valued customer" in the end.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing me the correct zip code RitaY!

Since this problem is happening indoors only, it confirms that the building structure has caused a hinderance to the signal.  The Network Extender http://bit.ly/AKkC would be a great solution to provide a much better indoor coverage experience.  Thanks again!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

billandnikki,

I understand that $250 is quite the investment, but it is a one time cost with no monthly fees that significantly improves the signal inside your household.  We do have a 14 day Worry Free Guarantee where you can try the device out for 14 days and if it doesn't work or it isn't what you want, we can return it for a full refund as long it is returned with 14 days from the point of purchase.

NicholasB_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Starquilter1,

Your wireless happiness is always a top priority to us. There's no need to consider switching carriers. We want you to love and enjoy your wireless service with us. The last thing we want is for your service to have a negative affect on your work. I'm confident that we can partner together and get this issue resolved for you once and for all. Let's start with what zip code is the park that you're having the issue in? Also, what model device are you using? Are you having issues with voice and data? As you share the details then we can customize a solution for you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
Starquilter1

The zip is 97385.  The nearest town is Sublimity, Oregon.  AT&T has had a tower in the park for several years.  Their customers and even some with basic plan phones are able to use it.  Verizon customers cannot.

0 Likes
bear350
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do You Let People Know before the buy into a contract with Verizon that there service may not work indoors ? 

Do you tell people they may need an extender before they purchase anything from Verizon with a Data Plan ?

I am  just interested in knowing your answer. Because I was told when I bought my new wireless router that 4 GLTE would be available in my area by the end of the year,  I was On an old Unlimited Data Plan  and I was told that 4 g would be in my area by the end of the year,  so I switched from my 760usb modem Unlimited DATA  to 10 gigs of service on a 4510l mifi and for 59.00 a month for Unlimited data to 80.00 a month for 10 gig of data per month.   Well Guess what? I have no 4 g here at my zip code which is 49808, physical and 49855 for my mailing address.  So I have a Marquette Mi. address But I live in Big Bay Mi. Marquette County.  Their Is a tower I can see out my window and I have a full 5 bars on my modem, But Verizon tells me The tower I have a full signal on does not Exist In which the tower is Clearly there and there is another tower In our Area which is AT&T tower.  So there is 2 towers up here and I can see both of them very clearly,  I have no signal problems at all, But it seems like many others are and if they buy Verizon , They should be told because it may be Life or Death Depending on a network that may or may not work in your home.   I would like to know for sure when the 4g will be HERE in my area, and not give me any B.S. about it being here by the end of the year for sure,  Or I would not have changed from 3 g unlimited to 3 g 10 gig cap with the price diff. of 59.00 to 80.00. Does that make any sense to anyone out here  ? I sure don't want to sound angry but on a fixed budget and needing wireless connection for Daily needs it should  be addressed .  Now they have 3 different Fiber Optics lines running  out in our area you think Verizon would have a Backhaul to Carrie 4 GLTE at no problem. If you need to know who put the last and newest state of the art Fiber in,  There company is Peninsula Fiber Network, along side of AT&T. Verizon should be able to get in on this Fiber and if so since we are a Rual  Area get in on the use of this fiber before Google gets here. LOL

I Realize we are the small Majority of the People on your network but if any one needs the Service it would be The people that have no Access to anything else,  I understand the Business Point its about the Money, Well The Money is safe seems Verizon Holds the Biggest Wireless Network and should start to make Improvements in the rual areas.

Thanks for your Consideration

Hope your 100% 4 G LTE in 14

Very dedicated Customer

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bear350,

The reliability of our network is our top priority. We certainly don't want you to have service issues no matter where you are located. I will be more than happy to look into this further and address your concerns. If you could please follow me and send me a private message better assist you. I look forward in hearing from you soon.

KarenC_VZW

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

and 

0 Likes