Policy on Warranties When Obtaining New Phone
Corsairkid

What is Verizon's policy on factory warranties for phones that are aquired outside of Verizon stores? 

Example: I trade phones with a friend and activate this phone on my line. Is this phone still covered under warranty? Or if I purchase a phone off eBay..is there still a warranty?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Policy on Warranties When Obtaining New Phone
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
No warranty unless purchased by you from Verizon.
0 Likes
GordonM

I called Verizon about the trading with the friend thing (got the convo recorded, so I've got proof). The CSR said that their warranty is based on when the phone is first activated. So you have a year from when the phone is first activated to get warranty service, regardless of whether you or your friend are using the phone.

They may be more touchy about the ebay thing though, though I don't know how they could be. You're just giving the phone to a friend you met online. In other news, he decided to give you a few c-notes.

0 Likes
GordonM

GordonM wrote:

I called Verizon about the trading with the friend thing (got the convo recorded, so I've got proof). The CSR said that their warranty is based on when the phone is first activated. So you have a year from when the phone is first activated to get warranty service, regardless of whether you or your friend are using the phone.

They may be more touchy about the ebay thing though, though I don't know how they could be. You're just giving the phone to a friend you met online. In other news, he decided to give you a few c-notes.

I called Verizon again to confirm this, and got the complete opposite answer. I asked where this was stated in the terms, and the CSR said it was not available online. She did agree to send me a paper copy, and I look forward to finding the fine print that spells this out.

In the mean time, I emailed Verizon about the discrepancy, specifically asking about selling the phone, and the reply I received was "The phone will still be under warranty if you give it to someone.  The warranty will follow the phone for 1 year." So it looks like in the end it really depends on the CSR you are talking to. If you don't like the answer from one, hang up and try again.

0 Likes
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

If the phone is activated on a line that is not on the original account the warranty is void.

0 Likes