Phone won't dial out. Old phone received missed calls yesterday instead of my new phone.
oldphonenewphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Current phone suddenly won't dial out. Yesterday my old phone (which I use for WiFi only and which has not been activated for about 1 year) started receiving calls instead of my current phone. I was not around to answer them, but they only registered as missed calls on my old phone.

Today I tried making a call and my current phone won't dial out--trying to dial any number just gives me silence and then it disconnects after 30 seconds or so. I tried dialing out on the old phone, but it gives me a roaming message and wants me to either buy a calling PIN or call collect to dial out. On my current phone I can still use data/internet fine and I think texting still works (tested by texting my own number and I received the text).

I've tried powering off the old phone for a while and then restarting the new phone, but it didn't help... I can't call verizon since I can't dial out and its saturday night so it looks like their chat is offline..

How can I fix this? Help is greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone won't dial out. Old phone received missed calls yesterday instead of my new phone.
Snn5
Legend

What phone do you have?

Re: Phone won't dial out. Old phone received missed calls yesterday instead of my new phone.
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

if you have a new phone programmed with the old number you must keep the old phone shut off as it still has programming in it... once the phone is turned off.. and IF the new phone has been activated according to the instructions that came with the phone if delivered.. the calls should automatically go there...

So after you have shut down and removed the battery for the original  (old) phone.. turn on the new one and try dialing into Verizon by dialing *611 ... if that does not connect.. hang up and try to dial *228 which is the activation / roaming number...

let us know if this resolves your issue.. I am sorry but this will happen again if you turn the old phone on and use it as it is still showing to the network as being connected.... Verizon is unable to provide service to two device with the same number...

oldphonenewphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately *611 does not work -- like all numbers I try to dial, it goes to the "dialing" screen then does nothing for about 30 seconds, then it disconnects.

*228 Brings up a message box that says "a verizon wireless sim card has activated your service and updated your phone's roaming capabilities. Your phone number is [my number]" The problem is not fixed however.

I should also clarify that I have been using my old phone for wifi/mp3 playing just fine for the past 1 year without experiencing this problem ever before. My current/newer phone has been working fine right next to it all that time. I did just pull my old SIM card out of my old phone just now in case that might help (should have done that a long time ago). I also removed the battery. That was several hours ago, still having the problem after rebooting the new phone and testing many times.

Using another person's phone I have now verified that I can't make or receive any calls on my new phone, but I can send and receive text messages as well as use mobile data/internet. The newer phone is an LG G2 and the old phone is a Galaxy Nexus if that matters.

Thanks for the help so far

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

thank you so much for providing the phone information and for shutting down the old.. I guess I can say I am glad you got 1 yrs service out of it but lets leave it down until we can figure out what is going on with the new one...May I please ask.. are you in the state of Virginia or Colorado??

0 Likes
oldphonenewphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I am not. Also I do know that verizon wireless service is working fine in my area for other people. (verified by asking family members on the same family plan as me, their's works just fine right now).

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

ok I had to ask.. those two areas have major outages due to storms and I have seen a few post that was worked by many  and not one asked   soo lets see what we can do to get you up and working...

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

If I can not get you a fast fix here.. I am going to advise you how to contact customer service thru chat here in this same page... .. I do think it is a service issue and the towers scanned and hit both units operating and that is why both are down.. let me check something real fast.. I promise I will return soon..

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

quick question,,, are you on a contract with Verizon or on a month to month pay as you go plan.

0 Likes
oldphonenewphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is a contract, family plan

0 Likes