Re: Phone number spoofing
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've noticed a shift as of late in the tactics used by scammers/spammers. For the longest while, when a call came in from scam/spam, it was common to see the name of a city/town & state appear on displays. While this is still happening, what has changed is how the names are displayed. Before, the info looked something like this:

City, State

The names used a mixture of upper and lowercase letters. Now, the garbage calls I am receiving look like this:

CITY, STATE

All uppercase letters. This make a call look somewhat legit, but, seeing the name of a city/town & state tells me that the call is bogus, as, when a telephone number is disconnected, the LECS remove name of the former user from the LIDB.

If I don't see a name or number that I recognize on an incoming call I'll let an answering machine, auto attendant or voicemail do the honors. Hardware Answer Supervision will tell the originating equipment that my number is active, but, nobody is going to scam money or anything else out of me if they can't talk directly to me. ☺️

BRUGER51
Enthusiast - Level 2

So why have I gotten four spoofed calls today? And Verizon has more K Street lobbyists than about anyone. Point is, you can be working on a problem, not just shunting customers to complain to the FCC. Keep this up, and in 20 years the cell carriers will be as vibrant as Ma Bell.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

BRUGER51 wrote:

Keep this up, and in 20 years the cell carriers will be as vibrant as Ma Bell.

Seeing that Verizon is part of what used to be "Ma Bell", they seem to be fairly vibrant even now.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

BRUGER51 wrote:

So why have I gotten four spoofed calls today? And Verizon has more K Street lobbyists than about anyone. Point is, you can be working on a problem, not just shunting customers to complain to the FCC. Keep this up, and in 20 years the cell carriers will be as vibrant as Ma Bell.

Sent from my iPhone

I don’t think your getting it.  Carriers can’t enable a system that would allow blocking of my number, your number and grandmas number. 

All they can do is enable a system that block known robo, spam and telemarketing.  And the system DOES work on those know nuisance numbers.

Last month Hiya and Call Protect blocked 3/4 of incoming calls.

<<removed>>

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Tidbits
Legend

rcschnoor wrote:

BRUGER51 wrote:

Keep this up, and in 20 years the cell carriers will be as vibrant as Ma Bell.

Seeing that Verizon is part of what used to be "Ma Bell", they seem to be fairly vibrant even now.

AT&T and Verizon are all part of Ma Bell when looking at history of the two companies. who and what were acquired throughout the years.

0 Likes
BRUGER51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Doing some digging, it turns out that it can be fixed by the carriers, which is the STIR/SHAKEN digital key technology for caller ID.  The Robocall Strike Force set up by the FCC is working on testing and implementation of STIR/SHAKEN in the U.S.  Verizon is a member of the task force.  For which I'm happy to give Verizon and the other wireless carriers credit.  If someone had posted that yesterday, we could have avoided a lot of this conversation.   Anyone interested can read the Strike Force report here:

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/Robocall-Strike-Force-Final-Report.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=stir+shaken+verizon&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&...

mama23dogs
Legend

1.   Because it’s old news!   AT&T, Apple, Google and others join FCC to end robocalls - CNET

(seriously I’m doing the head slap here!).

2.  it’s what spawned Hiya and ATT Call Protect and Verizon’s subscription service. 

And these do work very well on MOST, but not all calls.  

3.  They will still not prevent calls from a valid number, spoofed by computer. 

>Those call backs to or from a number that gets to a confused or annoyed person who is the victim of spoofing.  >The calls from your own number.   >I’m seeing reports that people are getting calls from 611, or ATT’s main call number. >my neighbor says he got a call from CVS, but it was a foreigner wanting to reduce credit card debt.   Those numbers WILL NOT be filtered. 

The system just isn’t quite there yet that can identify every call before It’s put through. 

I find if I don’t answer on the first or second ring, most calls get booted by Hiya.  Call Protect blocks calls at the network level so phones never ring.

dowwilson
Enthusiast - Level 2

"The system just isn’t quite there yet that can identify every call before It’s put through."

That is what I was trying to say in the very beginning when i said "We can walk on the moon" with basically a oversized calculator but we can't stop spoofing. It is a matter of priority and ingenuity. They can do it, they just don't want to yet. Not enough stink from customers yet. And, I'm not so sure that mama23dogs doesn't own some kind of spoofing company and making a killing so she likes to defend it! LOL

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

dowwilson wrote:

"The system just isn’t quite there yet that can identify every call before It’s put through."

That is what I was trying to say in the very beginning when i said "We can walk on the moon" with basically a oversized calculator but we can't stop spoofing. It is a matter of priority and ingenuity. They can do it, they just don't want to yet. Not enough stink from customers yet. And, I'm not so sure that mama23dogs doesn't own some kind of spoofing company and making a killing so she likes to defend it! LOL

Aaaaaand you’re making me head slap again.  I realize words in print don’t always convey information well.  So I will word it another way in hopes of getting through...

“The system just isn’t quite there yet that can identify every call before It’s put through.” 

The call blocking software Hiya, ATT Call Protect and Verizon paid subscription service block MOST spam, robo, telemarketing, fraud and spoofed calls.  Which is why I posted the screen shots to show they DO block calls they can identify as robo, spoof, fraud etc. 

I estimate much more than 75% based on my calls on 2 phones with 2 different softwares.   MOST....not all, but MOST ARE INDEED BLOCKED.  

If you are not using one of these apps or services to block calls, then you should try one before commenting on the ....”lack of a way to manage”... or any carriers “not doing anything about it”....

Hiya is free.  ATT made their Call Protect free.  I’m annoyed Verizon is charging, which is why I prefer Hiya.

mama23dogs
Legend

dowwilson wrote:

I'm not so sure that mama23dogs doesn't own some kind of spoofing company and making a killing so she likes to defend it! LOL

Really?   Ive been pushing everyone to try one of the blocking apps from the start of the thread.  Ive posted screen shots showing they WORK. 

0 Likes