Phone is always roaming at home
Maldoror
Enthusiast - Level 2

My s5 will not let make or receive calls it says I am roaming. I have had this problem for a year now. I contact support and my phone will work for a day or two then I am back to roaming. This when at home in Georgia. I was told by Verizon that I cannot cancel my service without a fee. Verizon is not honoring their contract by not giving me what I am paying.for. what can I do? Perhaps sprint will pay my early termination fee. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone is always roaming at home
mama23dogs
Legend

Cell carriers are not public utilities.  They are not required to provide you with service.  If the service is lousy, either use wifi calling on a compatible phone, or take advantage of switch offers and get out. 

Maldoror
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I guess Verizon just does not have coverage in Atlanta. The Verizon coverage map is fraud then.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Maldoror wrote:

My s5 will not let make or receive calls it says I am roaming. I have had this problem for a year now. I contact support and my phone will work for a day or two then I am back to roaming. This when at home in Georgia. I was told by Verizon that I cannot cancel my service without a fee. Verizon is not honoring their contract by not giving me what I am paying.for. what can I do? Perhaps sprint will pay my early termination fee. Any ideas?

You might want to check to be sure Sprint has coverage in your area first or you'll be right back in the same boat. Don't make the same mistake twice.

0 Likes
Maldoror
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sprint offered me a 30 day free trial. Verizon used.to be.good in Atlanta, but in the last year it has been terrible.

0 Likes
Maldoror
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried to cancel but you can only do that when calling not on chat. Catch-22.

Chatting with Verizon we think it is a problem with the phone or network and not the signal. I can still use internet and messaging but not voice. Phone settings even say that it is not roaming, just Verizon towers think I am. Does anyone have any ideas?

Talked with a neighbor that has sprint and he has a good signal. He did say the data speed is super slow. I see in reviews that T-Mobile has speeds just as fast as Verizon and that sprint is the slowest. T-Mobile just does not have good rural speeds, but I am not rural. I guess slow would be better than fast with no calling. Now I need to find someone in the area with T-Mobile and talk with them. Verizon does sound like the best solution, but cannot get them to work with me about having no call support.

Verizon wants me to buy or upgrade my phone (translation = give them even more money) with no guarantee that it will fix this issue.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Maldoror

If moving your line to Sprint, you do NOT cancel Verizon.  Porting to a new carrier automatically cancels the line.

Maldoror
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is good information. Thank you.

I would like to keep Verizon, at least until I research this some more. I know Sprint is slow but has good service in Atlanta. I know T-Mobile is fast but not sure of the service in Atlanta. What I really want to know is if anyone knows how to solve this issue. Verizon support is not sure what to do or even what the problem is. Again the problem is that my phone will not make or receive calls, but the internet and text messages work. When I try to make a call the phone says it is roaming. But under settings the phone says it is not roaming. Strange how data works on the towers but not voice. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

T-Mobile is all over ATL.  Have you tried a new SIM card?  Sounds like provisioning isn't correct on your line perhaps.  I'd start with a free SIM at a retail store.  Don't go to a 3rd party retailer, they will charge for the card.  You may also want to factory reset your phone to correct any incorrect APN settings so that the network sees your device correctly.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would not want to lose you as a valued customer, Maldoror. What zip code are you having issues in? Are there others with the same issues? How long has this been an issue?

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes