Re: Phone Upgrade Charge!
PATRIOT78
Enthusiast - Level 3

I beg to differ.  I called Verizon sales and they did not disclose this fee when quoting me the price on a new phone.  I had to discover this by doing more extensive research.  I have not visited their store.  It is in very fine print (of Course) on their on line order site.  Basically, when all my phones are out of contract I can cancel them and order at COSTCO.  I can even stay with Verizon by ordering NEW service and getting a reimbursement from COSTCO for the activation fees.

That will be my work around if I stick with Verizon.  Like I said before, the markup on these phones is astronomical.  I'm not drinking their Kool-Aid about the workshops, in store Customer Service, etc.  The added a fee because they could.  Period.  And I will consider going elsewhere because I can.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

loyalist51 wrote:

SuzyQ wrote: "Regardless of what you think or feel,"

Is that how Verizon consider or think of their customers? 

I was referring to your statement about the fee being "ridiculous" or a "scam" - you can consider it as such, but that doesn't change the fact that the fee is there, and will be charged. 

PATRIOT78 wrote:

The added a fee because they could.  Period.  And I will consider going elsewhere because I can.

That's their prerogative, and yours as well.  Changing carriers every two years, porting a number if you want to keep it the same, and working a deal to have the activation fee waived may work for you.  Others may choose to pay the $30 upgrade and stay with Verizon to get the discounted phone.  Others may pay full price.

We each need to decide what works best for us - every major company is now charging upgrade and activation fees, and I don't think complaining, yelling, refusing to pay, and getting upset is going to change the way major corporations do business.  It's part of the cost of owning and using a cell phone.

0 Likes
loyalist51
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two accounts with verizon, total of 7 phones, I am paying 5,000+ a year to your company.  This is how you speak with me and treat me as your loyal customer for more than 7 years.  Let me tell you that you are doing a good job to make it easy for me to decide to leave your company.  I hope that you are happy for making it easy for me.  Thanks for your input, it helped a lot to make a decision on my part.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

loyalist51 wrote:

I have two accounts with verizon, total of 7 phones, I am paying 5,000+ a year to your company.  This is how you speak with me and treat me as your loyal customer for more than 7 years.  Let me tell you that you are doing a good job to make it easy for me to decide to leave your company.  I hope that you are happy for making it easy for me.  Thanks for your input, it helped a lot to make a decision on my part.

Who's company? You were replying to another customer's post not an employee of Verizon Wireless.  Unless the user has a rank of "Wireless Employee", the users on this community forum are customer just like you and myself.  As a customer, we have choose what wireless carrier is the bast for our own situation.  If Verizon Wireless isn't working for you, then I hope you can find a carrier that suits your requirements.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PATRIOT78
Enthusiast - Level 3

Complaining is the way to get things done.  I have no intention of rolling over every time they decide to change their rules, especially in the middle of a contract.  They instituted this fee during the contract period and it should not apply until there is a new agreement with full disclosure.  Perhaps they could include it in their language after I upgrade and when a new contract take effect, with the fee included for the next upgrade. 

A class action may in fact be under consideration.  Modification of the express terms of an agreement during the agreement period, without proper notification, can make the contract null and void.  Now I know that they probably squeezed it into their language someplace.  It is not the $30.00 as much as it is the principal and the outright arrogance.  I just may terminate the contract now and refuse to pay any early termination fee.  They can get their money in the courts.  And they have 0 chance of effecting my credit.

0 Likes
outspoken
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's what I'm talking about, confuse us with details and maybe we will shut up, I felt the same way penalized for being a loyal customer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

PATRIOT78 wrote:

Complaining is the way to get things done.  I have no intention of rolling over every time they decide to change their rules, especially in the middle of a contract.  They instituted this fee during the contract period and it should not apply until there is a new agreement with full disclosure.  Perhaps they could include it in their language after I upgrade and when a new contract take effect, with the fee included for the next upgrade. 

A class action may in fact be under consideration.  Modification of the express terms of an agreement during the agreement period, without proper notification, can make the contract null and void.  Now I know that they probably squeezed it into their language someplace.  It is not the $30.00 as much as it is the principal and the outright arrogance.  I just may terminate the contract now and refuse to pay any early termination fee.  They can get their money in the courts.  And they have 0 chance of effecting my credit.

One, it may have been applied during your contract, but does not come into play until YOU decide to sign a new contract with new rules.

Second, come on a class action lawsuit? Why is everyone sue happy, ya dont like the fee EVERY cell company is charging, lets sue. Well good luck because the U.S Supreme Court in 2011 ruled companies can add to their customer agreement, Class Action Suits are not allowed and guess what, Every cell company has added it to their agreements.

budone
Legend

Hey believe it or not, there are many customers who like Verizon. Just because they dont jump on the, "VZW is a thief, let's start a class action suit", wagon does not make their opinion any less valid or important

rcschnoor
Legend

As budone has stated, this $30 upgrade fee has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on your current contract.

IF and ONLY IF you decide to sign a NEW contract does this $30 upgrade fee take effect. Now if you could explain just how that affects your CURRENT contract???

dnv1974
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW is way overpriced on their phones. The $30 fee is ridiculous. Just another way to get every dime from you. The best bet is go to Sams Club or Wal Mart. Many good phones are free there. I purchased a Droid RAZR for $0.99. VZW does not appreciate its customers.#TRUTH

0 Likes