Persistent Phone Cut-Out Issues
Bograde
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’ve been dealing with an incredibly frustrating problem with my Verizon service.

This is a long post explaining all the steps I’ve taken to resolve the issue, it is still not resolved.

I currently have an IPhone Xs Max on the latest Apple IOS 13 software.

I’ve been experiencing calls “cutting out” while talking on the phone. Calls do not drop, but audio cuts out. It is noticeable on both sides of the conversation. My husband has an IPhone 7+ on our family plan and has not experienced any of these issues.

This started about a year ago when I was on an IPhone 7. I called Verizon customer support and they ran some through all the Tier 1 and Tier 2 support and stated it was not a Verizon issue and that it must be a phone issue. I was due for a new phone anyways, so I went into Apple and upgraded to an IPhone Xs Max. For this phone we restored from my backup. à Problem still existed.

Talked to Verizon again and ran through Tier 1 and Tier 2 checklists and options, ran through all the settings solutions and updates and checking each time that the issue still exists. WiFi calling, HD calling, LTE Data Only, Advanced Calling etc. Still the problem still exists. Eventually completely wiped phone and started from square one (did not restore from backup, but from factory new) à Problem still existed.

Verizon said they were out of options and that maybe it was device issue again and just bad luck with two devices. This seemed crazy to me, but I went back into Apple and asked for a new replacement phone, again an IPhone Xs Max. We set this phone up from brand new, no restore, no backups, just brand-new phone and brand-new software. à Problem still existed.

Talked to Verizon again, noting that it must be an issue on Verizon’s part. Eventually we got to a last dich effort of switching my line to a totally new number. à Problem still exists.

Verizon at this point has told me their hands are tied and that they suggest switching providers. I’m very surprised they would suggest this since the issue is clearly due to Verizon and is not apparent on other family members lines.

At this point I’ve spent 20+ hours on the phone with Verizon and easily 4 hours with Apple and am still no farther along in solving this problem.

Here are the things I know:

• It is not due to lack of tower signal or congested towers because my husband has not experience any of these issues nor has anyone that has been at my house making calls. The issue also follows me and happens everywhere.
  • It is not a device issue. I’ve been through three different devices and still have same issue.
  • It is not an IOS software issue. I have completely wiped and started from scratch both on my own and with a brand-new phone from Apple.
  • Changing the number didn’t resolve the issue but I have no idea how this process works or if any settings transfer to a new number that could be pulling the issue along with it.
  • I know this is a Verizon issue. I don’t want to switch providers, but this issue is enough of a nuisance that if it is not resolved, I will have to try that option.

I’m getting very frustrated because every time I call Verizon, I just get told that the person I’m talking to has “extra training” and some “tricks up their sleeve” and then just get asked to check on all the same things every time. I really need something above Tier 2 support to troubleshoot this, there has got to be someone who can work outside the typical troubleshooting checksheets and think critically about why I am experiencing this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Persistent Phone Cut-Out Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I don't blame you for feeling disappointed by mixed messages. Your post tells me about the number of items that have been covered.

I imagine this laundry list of steps includes the basics ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415 ) to the more advanced such as Wi-Fi calling ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032 ) and Bluetooth support.

We're here, at your service, to lend a hand. An additional setting that would travel from device to device is the Attention Aware feature of the iPhone. Describe below is what that is. Is the Attention Aware Features in the off position?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
Bograde
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick response David,

Yes, I have tried all the basics listed in that link and performed reboots after changing the settings. We have also tried Wi-Fi calling (it's on now) and the issue still shows up during Wi-Fi calling. We were also sent a network extender and have it up and running the the house and it did not resolve the issue.

I have not tried Attention Aware, but I will try and see. I'm curious as to why you think this would affect the issue. I also had this issue on my previous IPhone 7 that didn't include this feature.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate that additional detail, Bograde. We mention the Attention Aware because we had a high number of customers advise of a similar issue with either the ringer or call audio dropping out after that service became enabled. It first became available in iOS 11. Some noticed an improvement after turning off that feature and restarting the device. Were you able to give this a try? What device does your husband have?

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
Bograde
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an update. I switched my sim with my husbands from his IPhone 7+. The problem definitely followed the sim which makes me know it is not a device issue and not an Attention Aware item. Is there anything else to try? At this point I think I'm going to go into Verizon, have them add a new line and device and see how that works, then transfer to that line if all works well. We already set up a "new line" and number for me earlier and the problem still persisted, not sure what that entails on Tech supports end, whether it is a total wipe and new setup or copied over from the existing (and hence problems still persisted).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are vital details, thank you for sharing that information. It sounds like it is the SIM card itself. You can pick up a new one at no cost at a corporate Verizon store or we can mail one out to you. If you choose to go to the store, you can find the closest store near you here: www.vzw.com/stores/. Let us know how you want to proceed. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
Jberkel74
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was there a resolution to this?  My wife and I - along with other family members are having this exact issue.  

I don’t see a confirmed resolution in this thread.  

thabk you.

Bograde
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately no. We tried everything under the sun including adding a brand new line to the plan, new phones, switching settings, adding an extender, everything, eventually culminating in a Verizon tech telling us we should probably try another carrier. So we will do that in the fairly near future. Bummer you are having the issue as well. Wish I had a solution to share with you.

Jberkel74
Enthusiast - Level 1

Try another carrier?  That’s not really an answer.  It’s happening to me, my wife, and now my brother and his wife.  

I’ll try my luck with support but it sounds like they weren’t much help for you.....  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you and your wife to have this issue Jberkel74. I would love to help and figure this out together. I know that each customer different. Can you please elaborate on your concerns? May I have your nearest intersection and zip code? What phone do you have? Please tell me more.  AmberF_VZW