Permanent end to Unlimited data.
EmagehtmaI
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've finally figured out how Verizon is going to end unlimited data. Forever.

(I had this epiphany when posting this as a reply to a post on VW's timeline. So if you see it there and here, you're not going crazy.)

Okay, about 15 months ago, Verizon announcing they were ending unlimited data plans for new customers. But not to worry, all current customers with unlimited data would be able to keep it as they would be "grandfathered" in. The reality is Verizon could not just up and take away their Unlimited data without voiding their contract and allowing the customers to walk away without having to pay expensive early termination fees. So under the false premise of graciously letting them keep their plans, it continued for a year, with everything going smoothly.

Then VW announced the end of Unlimited data plans. Again. How so? All users who were on unlimited plans would not be allowed to upgrade (IE sign a new 2 year agreement with VW) and get a discounted price on a new phone and keep their unlimited data. BUT, they say, you can keep your unlimited data as long as you want (*wink wink*) if you just pay full price for a new phone. You just can't "upgrade" and get a discount.

What they don't tell you is it's not about the phone's discount. It's about the contract. They don't want you locking in 2 more years of unlimited data. SO the cutoff this year to upgrade and keep unlimited data was June (or was it July?) 28th. If you upgraded after that, you HAD to move to a tiered plan or the new Share Everything plan.

And that leaves us where we are today. Many people with unlimited plans will look at their usage and say "Eh, I only use a gig or so a month anyway, might as well go to the tiered plan and get a new phone". That leaves everyone else. Everyone who wants to keep unlimited are now, slowly but surely, going to be edging toward the end of their contract date. After that, they can keep unlimited, BUT they'll be paying month-to-month, with no contract. (Do you see where I'm going with this?)

What do you think will happen next? I can guarantee that within the next year, VW is going to announce the end of unlimited data for everyone. Period. They'll give a date, and all people paying month-to-month will either have to switch to a tiered plan, or find service elsewhere. Everyone who upgraded this summer before the cutoff on June (July?) 28th will finish out the duration of their contract, and then have to move to a tiered plan, or their service will be terminated. It makes sense. With all the old unlimited users out of contract, VW will be free to change the terms of service at any time. You either agree to it, or go elsewhere, and there's nothing you can do.

Opinions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Permanent end to Unlimited data.
rcschnoor
Legend

This is quite possibly true, and will bring about a pay as you go data system which will more accurately represent your cost with respect to how much data you use. As it should be.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I think one of the issues they are going to see (and we are already seeing some of it on these forums) is how Verizon calculated data.  There are many posts in these forums about Verizon mimsrepresenting the data usage. My phone for example I have 2 different monitors on my phone plus the My Verizon Wireless app that monitors Data Usage. These 3 monitors will be within 100kb of usage at any given time of th emonth, yet the Verizon website shows almost 4 times the usage that these 3 monitors show, and the number posted in their website is what they use to calculate your usage and then the Overcharges.

Every month for the last 4 months I have called them about this and get 2 responses. the first is puzzling and is why does it matter, you have unlimited Data so it shouldn't matter what we reflect your usage as. and the other is, you are absolutely correct, there is a glitch in our measuring tool and it is not 100% accurate yet.

So for me, until I see that they are accurately reflecting the usage on their site etc... I will be sticking with my Unlimited plan as I do NOT plan on upgrading my phone anytime soon.

Now if they completely just say, Unlimited data is gone, then I will be forced to look at the Tiered plan, and keep accurate track of my usage with these monitors and escalate any differences to the correct people wither within Verizon or the PUC and or FTC.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Some good points are being made here.!  And i have noticed a change in how much Data i use or what Verizon is Reporting i have used since they flipped the 4G like on my one Maxx the one with I.C.S it shows that i'v used 2.706GB witch isn't a real bunch but it's still Quite a bit more than when i was using the 3G.. Hay Jake could you share the Data apps you tried..b33

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Hey. I am using Onavo Count which seems to be the most accurate. One of the things I like about this app is it allows you to change the behavior of apps so that each individual app has a setting as to when or how it can use Data. Example. VZ Navigator (which I do NOT use) was using roughly 200 MB per month for whatever reason. Since I do not use it I changed the behavior to only allow VZ Navigator to use data when Wi -Fi is present. Now it uses ZERO data.  The other App I used just for a base line and to see if the Onavo and My Verizon Data were accurate is called My Data and all it does is count data usage.

One funny thing I am noticing on the Maxx is that about 10% of the Data usage is on Apps that have been removed or disabled on the phone so I am real curious about how that happens. First thought is it used the data before being removed, but on the Bionic, I have Not removed any apps in 3 months and I am still getting this.  When I questioned Onavo on it they knew right away I was on Verizon, and advised that some of the apps which Verizon lets you remove or disable, still have entries in the table to go search for updates so some of them can in fact use data.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hey Jake thanks for the Info b33

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Jakeman1 wrote:

Hey. I am using Onavo Count which seems to be the most accurate.

This is the only data management app I trust, it is almost on the money with My Verizon app and I love I can block high data use apps to only work with wifi...  I have switched to the tiered 6gig plan from the unlimited and so far I have been able to keep the use under control.

I also like that it automatically resets its data history at the start of a new billing cycle.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Why would you do that ? your only paying 29.99 lol? idol i swear some people.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

P.S. there not gonna end unlimited stop these dumb post.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

My TB stopped functioning and I use my device for business use and I found a number of the features on the S3 useful for my job so I decided to upgrade to get the device because I refuse to pay full price and this came with the new Family Share Plan.

Besides I have seen users dancing around the unlimited plan and run into all kind of issues attempting to keep the feature, I prefer to have a device that function.  If you change any features on your account you will loose unlimited data and also if users didn't turn into data hogs the 4G experience would be worth the headache, since I went to the tier plan I havent seen the data connection issues that unlimited users are experiencing

I thought out my decision and I am fine with my decision, what works for some isn't for everyone....  BESIDES I AM PAYING THE 20.00 LESS WITH THE FAMILY PLAN.

0 Likes