Outrageous MB charges
Tmac944

Last month, the bill came in, and I was charged a little under $150 for data usage alone. Is there a way to figure out exactly where the data was being used? If there is, I need to figure out exactly what I've been using data on, since I've only sent 10 videos, recieved 4 videos, sent 8 pics, and recieved 6, which shouldn't come anywhere near $150.

After looking at my Data usage for this month, it is already at 44 MB, for only about a week since the last billing! Again, I've sent next to no videos and pics, so I seriously doubt this could be the issue. I think the problem must be Guitar Hero: World Tour, though it doesn't make sense that I would incur data fees for anything other than multiplayer... Is this the cause of the massive data charges?

Also, since I already have 44 MB on THIS month, I have a feeling it's not going to be easy on the bill, even if I delete Guitar Hero (Assuming that's the problem, which I wouldn't doubt that it is), is there a possibility that my family could add an unlimited data feature for me, for just this month, to lessen the cost? If not, I certainly don't want a long-term unlimited data plan, since I think that if I stop playing Guitar Hero, it will be solved...

Basically, what I'm asking is...

1. Is guitar hero the main problem?

2. Is staying off multiplayer still going to incur data charges?

3. Will adding an unlimited data feature make all of the 44 MB for this month free? My account says it could cost me over $80, so will adding that to the plan take effect on all future data usage, or will it take away the 44 MB for this month?

Thanks for any help... our phone bill was a whopping $800, since they screwed up and didn't add my brother's new phone to our family plan, causing a $400 fee on his texting, since he got his own, seperate plan... Anyways, thanks for your time.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Outrageous MB charges
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Welcome to the forum!   WoW . . . lot of questions.   Basically, here is what I would do.   First call Verizon and have them pinpoint precisely where those data charges came from . . . they know.   That way you'll know as well and be able to adjust your future data use accordingly.    It seems like you may well be more of a data power user than you imagine.   You can ask Verizon to do a free analysis on what data plan would best cover your usage.

As for the immediate unexpected overage you can ask Verizon to backward cover you with a larger data plan so as to offset the current bill.   They don't "have" to do this but they quite often will so long as you are not in the habit of asking for this request.   I've had this accommodation extended to me, as have a lot of other members.

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
RoniTalk
Enthusiast - Level 3

more than likely it's the guitar hero..also if you are browsing through the media center (get it now) then you are also using megabytes

you can always log in to your my verizon account and click on 'view my usage' then click on data details usage..it will show you the dates and times you used the megabytes...all you have to do is compare them to times you know you were playing guitar hero on your phone and it the times match up then you know it was guitar hero..if the times dont match then you might be using something else on your phone that you dont know is using megabytes

you definitely want to call them and add that vcast plan so you have unlimited megabytes and they can add it for this month so that you dont get billed the 40 megabytes...you'll only be billed the $15 vcast plan instead......

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Guitar Hero certainly does connect to the web to look for updates to the playlist and also to post scores and for multiplayer. What other GIN applications are you using? A common one is VZ Song ID which uses MBs to look up info on a song you're hearing. Also, any browsing done in the GIN/Media Center catalog is MB usage, even if you don't actually purchase anything you're still getting charged for the browsing.

For your current usage I would definetly call and ask to have the Vpak BACKDATED on your line to cover all those MB chrgs and you'll only have to pay the $15 for the data plan.

0 Likes