Re: Number Share - SMS Text Messaging Problem
TommyBayshore
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are completely wrong about everything you mentioned, back in the day (a year ago or more) you are right, but with the new number share technology Verizon is marketing your mobile phone can be completely OFF, you can fly to California and you would still get calls and texts routed to your phone pushed to your watch, they also make it VERY clear that you can make calls from your watch and send as your mobile number even with the mobile off, if you had to keep the phone on the watch would be useless as many people leave it on their way to work and the battery dies, that's when the watch comes in very handy.

Their technology on the texting end is not working correctly, the phone piece is working correctly it's just texting that is still [Removed] up.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
TommyBayshore
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to let everyone know, the texting piece is still not working with number share.  Many techs have told me "that feature" will work soon but not yet, so its something they are working on.  As far as the phone part with the watch, that works perfect, no issues with that at all and i don't use Verizon message plus, i use Samsungs built in messaging app and that does not work if my phone is off, it actually does work if someone sends to the watches unique number but that's pretty useless since know one will know whose number that is if i text from my watch.  Verizon employees are definitely not up to speed on number sharing, i had numerous techs and store employees act shocked when it didnt work correctly.

0 Likes
dzynda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I have remotly connected the watch and turned off the blutooth

everything seems good. I am actully sending this messege via watch. Now I

need to figure out if it has spell check lol

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Dzynda,

Apologies if you have already figured this out, but you do not need to turn off Bluetooth entirely for the Gear Manager Remote Connection feature to work. Once enabled on the phone in the Gear Manager app, it will work automatically when the BT connection between the watch and phone is severed. Then, assuming you have set your watch's cellular connection  to either "Auto switch" or "Always on", when you leave your phone and BT is severed, your watch connects to the network via its own LTE connection. If the phone is also  powered on, then the two devices will connect over the internet through Samsung's servers. It may take a minute, but you should then see the "remotely connected" message in your watch pull-down status screen. Using the BT connection when the watch and device are together will save a lot of watch battery life if you set it's mobile network connection to "Auto switch".

Again, apologies if this is restating what you already knew.

There is predictive text in the watch under settings, input and speech, input, keyboard settings, more settings, smart typing

0 Likes
dzynda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I will try all that out thank you for the information.

0 Likes
FILTHIMONEY

Hoping you guys can help me out. After a week of technical issues I have got my Gear s3 connected to my HTC m9 via numbershare.

8316 - Numbershare

3858 - Watch

Bluetooth is off on both devices, confirmed connected via LTE ("remote connection").

When I make calls on watch it uses the 8316 number. Great

When the 8316 number is called it rings on my watch. Great

When I send a message via the watches messaging app I have the option to use either number. Great

When the 8316 number is texted, phone receives message, watch does not. NOT Great...

I can receive "notifications" of texts by "ticking" the option under the samsung gear app on phone but am unable to reply to them on the watch, only option is to "show on phone".

This works on both the verizon message+ app and the stock messaging app (just have to make one or the other default app on phone)

Its great to know that my phone was texted and to be able to read the text.. but I find it completely useless that I need my phone to reply. The alternative is receive notification, go back to messaging app then compose a brand new text then manually select the 8316 number .....not ideal...

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

VZW has confirmed that the NumberShare service works for calls (which it does, even if the phone is powered off), but is not yet working for messaging. Until and assuming VZW gets it fixed (especially since VZW is still marketing Numbershare as working for both calls and messages), you should be able to send and receive messages from the watch as if from your phone if your Gear Manager app has a Remote Connection option and it is turned on. This allows the phone and watch to route notifications, messages and received email and responses (but not newly created emails) through Samsung servers,  which make them appear to you and your messagee as if they were sent and received by the phone only.

The caveat is that for Remote Connection to work, both the watch and phone must be powered on and connected to the internet by LTE or wifi. If the phone is off, the watch will not get notifications and messages to the phone. Any message sent from the watch will use its dedicated number.

First, if you have the Samsung Gear Manager app installed on your HTC phone, there should be an option for "Remote Connection". On my Samsung Galaxy S8, it appears in the Gear Manager app under the "Settings" tab. Then scroll down to and tap the "Gear connection" setting. You should then see the "Remote connection" option. Toggle it on.

This will start your phone forwarding notifications and messages to Samsung servers, which will then route them to your Gear S3. Likewise, when remotely connected, you will be able to send messages and respond to notifications, emails (if you use Gmail and perhaps if you set up an existing account in the Gear Manager app under the apps tab and by tapping the email settings cog icon).

You will know that the remote connection feature is working if you swipe down from the top of your Gear S 3 homescreen. A settings screen will appear that will indicate whether your watch is connected by BT, "remotely connected", or is "standalone", meaning not connected to the phone at all. Be patient, sometimes it helps to reboot the watch (hold the home button  down for about 7 seconds). Your phone's notification area should also indicate the type of connection to the S3.

To save battery life on your S3, you should make sure to set your watch to only use the cellular network radio and connection when the BT connection between the watch and phone is severed. If you do, you will only have the watch cellular radio on if you are not or cannot connect by BT. When you are connected by BT, "auto switch"  turns the watch's cellular radio off. Saves tons of juice.

To do this, on your S3, tap Settings, Connections, Mobile Networks, Gear network and select "auto switch".

You should be good to go. Enjoy.

0 Likes
FILTHIMONEY

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I have reset and setup both devices

exactly how you have described. By default neither messaging app are

selecting under notification settings on the gear app. The only way I am

alerted to messages on my watch is if I select one or both of the apps

under notification settings inside gear app on phone. I also must select

either app as default app on the phone to receive the alert on watch.

I am unable to reply to either notification on watch. Only option is to

open on phone which then prompts me to connect via bluetooth

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately, I thought that might be the case. As the Gear Manager app is tied into Samsung's stock messaging app, its Remote Connection servers probably don't support anything more than notifications for other messaging apps . I do know there are some apps in the Galaxy app store that claim to be able to allow responses and messaging from other messaging apps like whats app and FB Messenger. You can also download the stock apps for the S8 and see if you can get the messaging app to work. If it does, the Gear Manager app may then work for messaging. I found a link for such a download here: MEGA. Good luck.

0 Likes
FILTHIMONEY

Thanks! I was beginning to think that it was in fact a device issue. I

actually own a Galaxy S7 that I traded to my fiance as she was having

issues with her phone and thought nothing of it in anticipation for the

Note 8. I'm going to try what you have suggested as well as link it to her

phone and just see what happens.

0 Likes