Number Share - SMS Text Messaging Problem
TommyBayshore
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just added the Number Share service to my personal Verizon account.  Here is the equipment that i have:

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus (Phone)

Samsung Gear S3 Frontier 4G LTE (Smartwatch)

I have went into my account online, per Verizon's FAQ instructions, and linked my phone with the device i want to share the number with, which happens to be my new smartwatch.

The Number Share FAQ is here...

NumberShare FAQs | Verizon Wireless

This tells me that my watch can be used to receive and make calls and receive and send texts with the SAME phone number as my phone, even though the device technically has its own phone number it will send out as my main cell number, see below...

What is NumberShare?

NumberShare is a service that lets you use your mobile number on up to 5 connected devices. Send and receive calls and messages on whatever device is at hand, even if you're away from your phone.

Your smartphone's mobile number is the "host" and shares your number with your authorized "extension" devices. Although each extension device has its own mobile number, NumberShare lets you share your smartphone's number with all extensions. Both numbers work on your extension devices and will appear on your Verizon Wireless bill.

Now you can talk and text, get emails and notifications* using the new Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch on the Verizon Wireless network.

Now here is the weird part...

If i completely turn my phone off (simulating if i was to leave it at home and go to my office only wearing my watch), i can make a call from my watch alone and whoever i'm calling sees my correct caller ID (the phone number of my phone)... also, if someone calls me when my phone is off the call routes to my watch.  That part works great, luckily for me that's the most important part.

The main issue i'm having is text messaging.  Again, if my phone is off and i send a text with my watch it shows the actual phone number of the watch to whoever receives my message, which we obviously don't want it to do because no one i know knows that number and it defeats the purpose of "number sharing on 2 devices".  If someone tries to send my regular cell number a text while the phone is off i never get it.  If someone texts the watch directly i get it fine, but they have to text the watch phone number.  So basically, texting doesn't seem to be working correctly when the host phone is shut off. 

Keep in mind, if i have the phone and watch connected via Bluetooth life is great and everything is fine, but the whole reason i got the watch is so i could take advantage of not having my phone with me and being able to receive calls and texts away from my phone, and the calls i get, it's just the texts i don't get.  I thought it may be a provisioning issue so i have reset my phone and watch a few times but still the same thing.  Maybe it's because the service is so new some bugs need to be worked out.  Anyway, that is my issue, anyone has a fix please let me know.

Also, just for the record, this may save you hours of frustration...

The Number Share feature/service WILL NOT work with business accounts, so if you have a phone on a biz account and you get the watch, it wont work, you will need to move the numbers and devices over to a personal account only, i verified this with Verizon after trying for hours to get things to work on a business account.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Number Share - SMS Text Messaging Problem
deloused
Master - Level 3

With the current state of the Number Sharing technology it is working as expected and marketed by Verizon.

Powering the device off is causing that issue. You don't have to be near your phone, but it does have to be on and connected to the Verizon network for proper function. Likewise if the host phone was in airplane mode or on a roaming network the functionality would also be limited.

It makes sense that the calls are showing your host number with the phone off, it's very simple for the network to seamlessly forward the incoming calls from your host number directly to your watch number. Likewise in reverse the Number Sharing feature simply spoofs your outgoing caller ID to display the host number instead of the number in the watch.

SMS/MMS would work a bit differently as to send/receive the messages using the host phone number instead of number in the watch the network would need to access the Gear S3 app on the host device. When sending a text from the watch it would actually pass through the network to the Gear S3 app on the host phone and then use that device to deliver the message to the recipient so that it can display your phone number. (Even if the phone is not near you). For the reverse to work the incoming texts to your phone number would be forwarded from your device to your watch number via the Gear S3 App. Neither of those could work with the phone off due to the security of the messaging platform technology, and because multiple device IDs cannot actually be assigned the same phone number since that's cloning which is illegal.

From the Number Sharing FAQ link posted by the OP-

NumberShare is a service that lets you use your mobile number on up to 5 connected devices. Send and receive calls and messages on whatever device is at hand, even if you're away from your phone

Note: This should work if the host device is a Samsung smartphone that's powered on and connected to the network 

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TommyBayshore,

We definitely want this feature to work in the fullest for you. At this time there are limitations with messaging and issues such as what you are experiencing may occur. We apologize for this inconvenience but rest assured we are always working to improve our products and services so please stay posted for updates by visiting our website often www.vzw.com.

AdamG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Zzziggy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue, but texting is important to me.  When I text from my watch, sometimes it comes through as my phone's number, sometimes as my watch number.  And I only received texts that are sent to my watch number.  Texts to my phone's number don't come through at all. 

The deciding factor for me in buying the Gear S3 was the Number Share feature.  If this doesn't work, I'll be returning it to the store.  Any updates on when this might be fixed?

I'm very disappointed.

sumetiya
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't to receive my text Verizon codes

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

I, too purchased the Gear S3 because the VZW site makes clear that both calls and texts can be sent and received on the S3 from the shared number even if the phone is off, and without using the Message+ app. The messaging has not worked at all in this regard. Why is VZW still marketing the feature/service if it does not work? Seems pretty deceptive to claim a feature that the device/service does not have. Plaintiff's lawyers love that kind of false advertising.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to send and receive text messages are very important, sumetiya. I want to make sure that we're on the same page. Are you having issues with all of your text messages? Or are you trying to make changes to your My Verizon account and we're trying to send you a secure code to enter online? Please provide me with some details.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

With the current state of the Number Sharing technology it is working as expected and marketed by Verizon.

Powering the device off is causing that issue. You don't have to be near your phone, but it does have to be on and connected to the Verizon network for proper function. Likewise if the host phone was in airplane mode or on a roaming network the functionality would also be limited.

It makes sense that the calls are showing your host number with the phone off, it's very simple for the network to seamlessly forward the incoming calls from your host number directly to your watch number. Likewise in reverse the Number Sharing feature simply spoofs your outgoing caller ID to display the host number instead of the number in the watch.

SMS/MMS would work a bit differently as to send/receive the messages using the host phone number instead of number in the watch the network would need to access the Gear S3 app on the host device. When sending a text from the watch it would actually pass through the network to the Gear S3 app on the host phone and then use that device to deliver the message to the recipient so that it can display your phone number. (Even if the phone is not near you). For the reverse to work the incoming texts to your phone number would be forwarded from your device to your watch number via the Gear S3 App. Neither of those could work with the phone off due to the security of the messaging platform technology, and because multiple device IDs cannot actually be assigned the same phone number since that's cloning which is illegal.

From the Number Sharing FAQ link posted by the OP-

NumberShare is a service that lets you use your mobile number on up to 5 connected devices. Send and receive calls and messages on whatever device is at hand, even if you're away from your phone

Note: This should work if the host device is a Samsung smartphone that's powered on and connected to the network 

sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

With all due respect, you are not correct. In online marketing material and with in-store and telephone support, VZW expressly says that both calls and messages can be sent and received even if the "host" phone is off.

According to VZW tech support, NumberShare for Gear S3 is a different set up than under Messages + and the "host" is actually the number, not the device, and all the routing is done by VZW servers. For the Gear S3, this is simply a new version/extension of NumberShare. Unlike prior iterations, it does not require the customer to use the Messages+ app. Under prior versions, your phone had to be on so that the Messages+ app could forward messages, just like the Samsung Gear Manager app does.

Before I bought the watch, I confirmed this exact feature with all of the resources listed above. Since I bought the watch and reported the problem, VZW has said they are aware of this as a  "problem".  They have not denied that it is supposed to work as described. Even the replie above from VZW do not say the feature is not supposed to be available.

I just don't think they should keep marketing a feature that doesn't yet exist. If they want to say calls are currently supported and messages are coming soon, fine. But some of us bought the watch in reliance on the statement that it works now, which it does not.

deloused
Master - Level 3

That sucks that it had been explained to you incorrectly! There was never any marketing material stating what you're claiming however. If it exists please do post a link to it here and prove me wrong of course    as the internet is forever.

As the original poster here confirmed, depending on configuration it is possible for calls and messages can be sent and received from an extension device when the host device is off, however due to limitations of the service features the host device number is not always used. The PROOF of the host device needing to be ON this is on the Verizon website at this link, under #2 in the 'Troubleshooting' section, on Verizon's website right here-

NumberShare FAQs | Verizon Wireless where it states- "What should I check if messaging doesn't seem to be working properly on the shared number?" "This should work if the HOST DEVICE is a Samsung smartphone that's powered ON and connected to the network. You may notice some limitations in other scenarios."

The website has never stated a host device could be off for Number Sharing to work as you claim, rather it used terms like "Send and receive calls and messages on whatever device is at hand, even if you're away from your phone". This PROOF is on the Verizon website at the Number Sharing link posted above under 'General Information' section #1.

Regarding this part of your post- "NumberShare for Gear S3 is a different set up than under Messages + and the "host" is actually the number, not the device, and all the routing is done by VZW servers"... The first part of that sentence is the one part of your post that is actually correct, as Number Share is totally different from Messages+. I'm not sure why that's being mentioned though as the Messages+ app and functions have nothing to do with this subject, and hadn't been mentioned until you brought it up. The second part of that sentence makes no sense though  so it's unfortunate that you heard that from technical support. As stated on the Verizon website PROOF that a HOST DEVICE with the Gear S3 app setup on it is required for Number Sharing at that same link above under-

"Is my device eligible to use NumberShare?

If you have an HD Voice-capable smartphone on the Verizon Wireless network, it can be used as a "host" DEVICE and share your mobile number with other devices.

If it really was just the Number doing the hosting as you stated then the sharing feature would not require a capable device or an app, it would work with just a number which is obviously not the case as the Verizon website also states at that same link under the Setup and Sharing section #1- "Make sure the Samsung Gear S3 app is downloaded on your HOST DEVICE. If needed, download the Samsung Gear app from your device's App Store"

Telephone numbers just by themselves cannot 'host' anything, they are used for routing purposes. If they could, then the Samsung smartphone with the Gear S3 app wouldn't even need to exist for the Number Sharing feature to work properly. If that was possible then one could use these features with just any old phone, even a basic old phone. But again, that's not the case as stated in directly online from the service provider.

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

I stand by my comments. I saw the same materials you cited and wondered if the phone had to be on and connected to the network for call and message sharing to work.  When I asked the in-store rep about this capability, he answered that yes it would share calls and messages if the "host" device was off.  When I was skeptical, he then showed me a web page on his VZW tablet indicating that the calls and messages would be shared even if the device registered to the host number is tuned off.  I do not know if that page is available generally online as I cannot find it now.  When I called Verizon tech support before purchasing the device to see if I got the same answer, they read back exactly the gave me the same answer and looked up and read back to me the same language and confirmed that call and message sharing would work if the "phone assigned to the "host" number" (their exact words) was off. 

After I purchased the phone and called to say call sharing was working but messaging was not working if the "host" phone was off, the Verizon tech support said that messaging should also work, but they were having problems, were aware of the problems as others had complained and that I would get a text message when the messaging part of the service was fixed.  I don't think all of these separate people (especially tech support, who are not selling) were lying just to sell one watch. 

The notion that the number cannot be a "host" doesn't square with the fact that call sharing works fine if the "host" phone is turned off.  That "host number" routes calls without the "host device" being on.  Only shared messaging is not yet working.

The fact that all devices are not yet configured to handle this type of sharing capability may well be why it took VZW so long to come out with the Gear S3.

And prior to the Gear S3 rollout, NumberShare only worked if the host and extension devices had Messages+ installed

0 Likes