Number Porting Question
harvardale

Is it possible to port a number AFTER I have requested a new number on that line?  Or once I request a number change do I lose control of the original number?

I am looking for an alternative method to port my number without cancelling the service or contract.  I cannot port my current number to Google Voice.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Number Porting Question
shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

If I understand this question correctly the answer is no.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

How long ago did this Take place you might give the Porting Dept. I'd call and ask because you may have a Window of time to port yet but they would have the definite answer..  Here are there Two Numbers you can Try.. b33

Wireline port = 800 488 2002

port support = 888 844 7093

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello harvardale,

I want to make sure that I understand your concern properly so I can give you the best answer. Based on your posting, it sounds like you want to keep the original number before the port process was initiated. Keep in mind that when a number is ported in, the new number replaces the old the number thus making the old number available to new customers. If you wish to keep the original number then porting would noty be the best option. If you would be so kind as to share the details of the reason for the question then we can suggest the best option for you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
harvardale

Hi Arnett,

I have not intiated a port yet.  I was just looking for a way to port my number without closing/cancelling the line (i.e. port out my phone number, and keep the line with a different phone number).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

harvardale wrote:

Hi Arnett,

I have not intiated a port yet.  I was just looking for a way to port my number without closing/cancelling the line (i.e. port out my phone number, and keep the line with a different phone number).

Since you have already indicated that porting to Google Voice isn't an option, your choices have been limited. There is a thread in the community here outlining the steps to port your number to Google Voice and request a number change on your active line to keep the line in service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

OK harvardale. Let's get some more details. What specifically are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking to port a number to us or are you porting out? In either case, you will not be able to maintain two numbers on the same device. Once a port is completed and the number is changed, the inactive number is then recycled.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
HowieDub
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to Verizon, once you change your number, you will no longer have access to that number, but I've read posts where people escalated their issue to Tier II support and were able to get their number back. Why can't you port it over to GV? There shouldn't be any restrictions if you are the owner of the account or are granted access by the owner. What about Vonage? Not sure how long it takes to port over to Vonage, but I believe as long as the port is started prior to the number change, you should be able to keep your old number.

0 Likes
switchin2glide
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Ann154.  Part of your reply was "...There is a thread in the community here outlining the steps to port your number to Google Voice and request a number change on your active line to keep the line in service..."

Could you help me find that thread?

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes