Not getting incoming calls and voice mails
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Verizon service where I live is very poor - usually only 1 bar, 2 at the most.  I live in an apartment on the 1st floor of a 4 story building pretty much surrounded by other buildings.  The Area code is 92870. Much of the time my new iPhone 6 works fine but I do run into too many situations where people will try to call me and my phone does not even ring.  And sometime people will call (no ring) and they will leave a voice mail which I may not get notified about until hours later. My previous iPhone 4S had similar problems but the new iPhone 6 seems to be even more problematic. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks, Dave

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not getting incoming calls and voice mails
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dave,

Thank you for the additional details.  I know how important dependable service is.  However, service can fluctuate indoors due to the structure of the building and terrain/foliage surrounding the home.  I've reviewed the area again and do see that there are a few reports of it being a Marginal coverage area.

The best solution to improve your indoor coverage here is going to be our network extender; http://vz.to/IHRT6h .  The device connects to high speed internet service and does a great job of extending your signal. Please let us know if you have any questions.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Dave_Dunlap,

I don't want you having any issues with your service. Though indoor use is a challenge for all carriers, I'd still like to look into this. I'm showing that 92870 is covered nicely with 4G coverage. Is this an indoor issue only?

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

Christina,

It seems to be more of an indoor issue than an outdoor issue but I work from home and spend a lot more time there at my desk indoors (which is right next to a large sliding glass door to my patio) than I do being outside.  That being said, I have experienced these same issues while outdoors in my car and shopping, etc.

Dave

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coverage isn't guaranteed inside of buildings.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154,

Of course coverage isn't guaranteed inside of buildings . . .

But, you know here's the situation:

I'm sitting in my chair at my desk right next to a big sliding glass door.

I can make an outgoing call on my cell.

I can send a text on my cell.

I get a call from someone and they say "this is the 3rd time I've call you in the last 5 minutes" - why didn't you answer? did you get the two voice mails? etc etc.

I was sitting in exactly the same spot, not on my phone,

there were no sunspots that I was aware of

I'm pretty sure that the nearest Verizon cell tower did not move.

So what changed?

Sometime the calls get through

Sometimes the calls don't get through

Sometimes voice mails get through

Sometimes they don't

. . . .

0 Likes
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just FYI, yesterday after I posted my original message I turned on Voice & Data in the enable LTE Cellular settings on my iPhone 6.  (Wasn't sure if I should or not but I figured I'd give it a shot).  Anyway, when I tried to turn it on the little "wheel" thing came up and started turning.  The Enable LTE setting showed Voice & Data but if I tapped it and looked the Voice & Data selection still showed the wheel turning - maybe for at least an hour, perhaps a lot longer.  Then just now 16 hours later I got a message from Verizon saying that I recently enabled LTE for Voice/Data and now have Advanced Calling 1.0.  OK . . . When I checked that LTE Cellular setting now it shows that the Voice & Data selection is checked.  The wheel is gone.  Not sure why it took so long to "set".  (also I did go out to dinner last night so I was away from home for two hours in the car and at a restaurant about 10 miles from here). 

I'm not sure if any of the above is relevant or not but thought I should post it just in case.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dave_Dunlap,

Thank you for providing those additional details! Advanced calling is a great feature for the iPhone 6! Have you powered the phone off and back on since making the change in settings? Since enabling the VoLTE have you had any further trouble with missed calls?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Brian,

I had not powered my phone off and back on since making the change but just did so right now.

Too soon to know if I am still missing any calls / voice mails.

I was out doing some shopping a little while ago (before I powered the phone off and on) and noticed that I did have a light bluish bar to the right of the letters LTE.

After I got back home and got your message and powered the phone off and on, I did see the letters LTE up there but no bluish bar for a few minutes, but now it says 3G and the LTE is missing.  But I have 3 bars while sitting here at my desk.  Usually I only have one or maybe two.

Not sure what's going on.

Dave

0 Likes
Dave_Dunlap
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, here's the latest.  With the iPhone 6 in the same spot give or take a foot - I get 1 to 3 bars and mostly no 3G or LTE indication.  Occasionally it shows LTE but not often.

My business partner called me a few minutes ago.  He has an iPhone 6 on AT&T.

The first time he called, my phone rang but it showed his number as +1 (949) 400-XXXX (his actual number) instead of showing his name (He is in my contacts list so it always shows his name).  When I answered he could not hear me and l could not hear him.  We both disconnected and then he called back.  This time my phone showed his name and we could hear each other.  He said that on the first call after some seconds he got a recorded message something like "the number you called has been changed or is no longer in service . . .)  That's the 3rd time within the last week he's heard that message when he's called me and the call ends up being dropped.

We talked a few minutes and then the call got dropped again so we spent the next few minutes trying to call each other but were not able to get through.  Finally I was able to get through to him from my land line.

What a PITA.

Dave

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dave,

Thank you for the additional details.  I know how important dependable service is.  However, service can fluctuate indoors due to the structure of the building and terrain/foliage surrounding the home.  I've reviewed the area again and do see that there are a few reports of it being a Marginal coverage area.

The best solution to improve your indoor coverage here is going to be our network extender; http://vz.to/IHRT6h .  The device connects to high speed internet service and does a great job of extending your signal. Please let us know if you have any questions.

TrevorC_VZW

0 Likes