Re: No service in Uptown Charlotte, NC
WHaggerty

A bigger part of the issue is that you only have 3G in uptown charlotte. 4G is unreliable as there are too many users and not enough capacity. I can surf the net on 3G all day long…it just takes all day to do it. Why pay for the service and the phone if you can use it. Would be like buying a sports car and only driving it in a parking lot.

0 Likes
WHaggerty

I agree. I was on the outskirts of Raleigh this weekend and was hitting 30mbps plus. In Charlotte I am lucky to get .30 mbps. Even Southend is bad with all the new condos (i.e. customers). Siri works half the time if I am lucky due to no data on 4G. Poor planning on VZ part.

0 Likes
WHaggerty

I have contacted VZ so you can look into the issue. The girl who helped me was very nice and opened a ticket. She then contacted me a few hours later to tell me that it is a known issue and the only solution at this time was to turn off LTE. She also stated that although VZ is trying to bring in mobile "towers", there is no timeline for a resolution.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
dmnb03
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly how do you "turn off LTE" there is no native function on most phones that allow you to choose which service you use.  sure there are apps that may allow it but if you mess up with those apps you can kill your data completely and not get it back.  I have found a major issue with this.  MMS doesn't send through WIFI at all.  So I'm here at work and 4g is at a stand still in uptown like always so I use WIFI.  Well MMS doesn't go through because its still attempting to use the 4g!  when I use an app to turn on 3g it goes right through (well 5 minutes later).  this is insane

0 Likes
WHaggerty

It's under settings>cellular on the iphone.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
dmnb03
Enthusiast - Level 3

We should investigate in a class action suit. Of course likely wouldn't win because their service isn't "available" everywhere.  However the coverage maps show great service in our area, yet we get none.

0 Likes
dmnb03
Enthusiast - Level 3

On android there is no native option

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

For some android phones, there is an option to restrict to CDMA only, but the latest models don't always have the option.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dmnb03
Enthusiast - Level 3

But don't i pay for 4g?  So shouldn't 4g work?  No one should accept use 3g only as an option.  Looks like I'll need to switch networks.  maybe ATT since they are the "most reliable" now?

0 Likes
strollincash
Enthusiast - Level 2

4G LTE service in uptown is crazy fast fast and I've been out out of state and had the same speed... I switched from Verizon a few weeks ago and it was the best decision ever... what Verizon is doing should be illegal... charging for a service they aren't providing is just ridiculous... and there is no sense of urgency to fix the issue... I stuck it out for 6 months... Their service only got worse... 

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes