New phone and possible extortion with false advertisement
James112233
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I went to the nerby verizon store as a continuing customer and bought a new phone on October 29th. They told me I wouldn't be allowed to keep my old number because when I added it to my relatives family plan it was automatically put on a contract (without my knowing). So I had to get a new number. I signed up with the following plan (as shown on the chart they handed me):

Smart Phone ($40 unlimited talk and text nationwide)

4GB Data Plan ($70)

Bringing it to a total of $110

Since I am a qualcomm employee, they said I get the 20% discount. 20% of $110 brings it to a total of $89.

I have a showing of $300 (for the phone) and $110 (for the first monthy fee) being taken from my bank account. When I asked to store clerk why I am paying the extra $21, he said that is for the activation fee, and I said okay. I confirmed if the re-occuring monthly charges are setup to be automatically deducted from my bank account and the clerk confirmed that it was setup. Here is were things go wrong. A month later I get a phone call saying I never payed my monthly fee and owe $229.87. I need to pay this immidiately or my service will be cancelled. Not having enough time in the weekday to talk with verizon due to work I head over to their store today on the weekend to investigate this. They tell me I never payed $110 according to their records and there is nothing they can do about the fee. They give me a number to financial services who is nothing but an automated system over the weekends. I'm thinking once I actually get ahold of a person who can help me with this, not only will I have to pay a late fee (due to the clerk lieing too me or screwing something up), but these numbers don't match up at all with the $110 I am supposed to be paying monthly let alone the 20% discount I should be getting. Should I start calling a lawyer for false advertisement and extortion?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New phone and possible extortion with false advertisement
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

the 20% discount applies only to the data plan(4gb for 70 dollars) so you will pay 40+ 56(70 minus 20%) = 96 plus taxes and fees.

the new share everything plan is a rip off. i still dont understand how people fall for it.

0 Likes
James112233
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are referring to the family plan my old phone is a part of, I'm not paying any part of that.

0 Likes
Not applicable

James112233 wrote:

So I went to the nerby verizon store as a continuing customer and bought a new phone on October 29th. They told me I wouldn't be allowed to keep my old number because when I added it to my relatives family plan it was automatically put on a contract (without my knowing). So I had to get a new number. I signed up with the following plan (as shown on the chart they handed me):

Smart Phone ($40 unlimited talk and text nationwide)

4GB Data Plan ($70)

Bringing it to a total of $110

First let's clear this up

Line Access Fee $40

Unlimited talk and text with 4 GB data $70.

I'm not sure why people thin the talk and text applies to the $40 when it's clearly doesn't when you look at the plans.

Anyway you get 20% off the "data" part which would be a $14 discount. Accusing Verizon of extortion and false advertisement on a public messageboard is a serious charge and grounds for a libel suit if you can't prove your accusations( which you can;t )

0 Likes
Not applicable

Intocable wrote:

the 20% discount applies only to the data plan(4gb for 70 dollars) so you will pay 40+ 56(70 minus 20%) = 96 plus taxes and fees.

the new share everything plan is a rip off. i still dont understand how people fall for it.

You can't make a blanket statement like that. Shall I give you an example.

Old plan - family plan 2 smartphones 700 minutes, unlimited texting, two 2 GB data plans TOTAL $160

Share Everything unlimited talk/text and 4 GB data $150.

yep that Share Everything sure is costing more money.

In fact for the same $160 we can get 6 GB instead of 4 GB. yeah real rip off.

As far as people "falling" for it. NEW customers don't have a choice. And as I said some people do in fact save. And within a couple of years everyone will have to be on it so i you really hate it you better have plans to go with another carrier.

0 Likes