Re: New Data Requirement!
wyuhas

I'm as disappointed and shocked as the rest of you.  We should NOT be forced to a data plan!  I've been a loyal VZW customer for many years and have my entire family on a plan.  I really don't understand how this can be legal, but it appears that other service providers are in on it, also.  Phones are personal and you get in a comfort zone with a brand/style.  Even the phones we now have could not be purchased again without a data plan.  I'm starting my research now - if my loyalty means nothing then I don't care who serves my phone.

0 Likes
iPod_Touch_09

I'm pretty upset about it too!  I have an enV Touch and NEVER use data.  Somehow I must have gotten lucky and didn't have to sign up for the $10 a month data plan.  I can say I'm HAPPY I don't have data because I would rather put the $10 towards an iPad with 3G on ATT rather than pay Verizon $10 for a crappy internet experience.  Why they think the browsing experience on a dumb phone such as their "3G multimedia phones" is worth $10 is beyond me.  Its slow, not convenient, and lacks every other feature given by browsing on a regular computer.  I'm very displeased, and if they don't change this by the time I renew, I will go with AT&T or Sprint.  

0 Likes
starbuxlvr

RE: BTW: price of taxes on VZN plans are much higher than on previous carrier's bill. This was something that we, sadly,  overlooked before switching. Obviously, when we figured this out, we cont'd. on with VZN b/c of no complaints, liked the customer svc both in store & thru '800'...

However, this 'forced' data plan has us rethinking our options. No, we do not have to have THOSE particular phones. I have grown quite fond of txting...when I do not have alot of time, I send a quick txt whether to a family member, friend or co-worker, sometimes lack of time necessitates this type of communication. Sometimes, it's just fun. I have a 16 yr old. I frequently converse with my child through texting because, unfortunately, in this day & age, this is what our children are doing. So, therefore, I have become accustomed to a Qwerty keyboard. I would like to have a flip phone with this particular feature primarily because I am NOT adept at T9 txting. (or whatever you choose to call it.) I have found that I no longer, over the course of this last yr w/VZN, carry or use my phone 1/2 as much b/c of the candybar, 'bulky' design. Yes, I know that this was my choice. There were not many choices at the time when we decided to sign our 2 yr contract, of phones. As the time drew near to when I would be 'allowed' to upgrade my phone for a different model w/out paying exorbitant fees, I became EXCITED because I finally found a phone that was what I was looking for. Decent camera, qwerty keyboard & flip! <SIGH> Now this fee is tacked on. Unreasonable, tacky, unfair & unprofessional. Yes, so other companies have chosen to create some of the 'same' fees. Just on principle alone, the percentage alone of my husband & I switching carriers, when our contract is up in less than a yr., due to this imposed fee, is quite high.

For those of you who are saying that 'we' basically need to 'suck this up', please have a little compassion & forethought before placing those 'kind' of responses. Over time we all have grown used to carrying a cell phone...does this possibly thrust us back to a plce where we need to then chose between a landline or a cell phone. Is it in fact going to send ppl back to their landlines b/c the cost of a cell will grow to be so expensive that those will be a luxury? Questions to consider...most will continue with a mobile phone. I have THOUGHT that if push came to shove, I would stay with a landline & in case of an emergency, hopefully, would be able to rely on my 'neighbor', to have a cell. My husband & I are in much the same position as many ppl right now...the plans are already expensive enough, we don't have the extra money to shell out & WHY would ANY company put into practice anything such as this at a time that is so difficult for all? Another large company trying to 'capitalize' on their size.

0 Likes
halbeart

The enV Touch is a 3G Multimedia Device which requires a $9.99 minimum data plan charge. Smartphones such as Android, Windows Mobile, Palm WebOS, BlackBerry, and Palm OS require a minimum data plan of $29.99 per month and if you have a business discount then you get a feature discount which may depend based on how much your business gives discounts for. you can also save money off your entire plan via business discounts which vary depending on how much your business offers wireless discounts for. I save 22% off my entire plan every month for every line, and then 20% on two of the other lines because we have three smartphones. instead of the $29.99 monthly it would be $25.98 per month. But 3G Multimedia Devices have different data rates then smartphones because a smartphone uses more data per month (for the palm line on my account average is 150,000KB or 150MB and for my blackberry average at 100,000KB or 100MB per month.) where as a regular cell phone uses less data (when i had my voyager and env2 and motokrzr fire and motokrzr grey average was 5MB-10MB of data per month) so there are different rates on different types of mobile phones.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

halbeart wrote:

The enV Touch is a 3G Multimedia Device which requires a $9.99 minimum data plan charge. Smartphones such as Android, Windows Mobile, Palm WebOS, BlackBerry, and Palm OS require a minimum data plan of $29.99 per month and if you have a business discount then you get a feature discount which may depend based on how much your business gives discounts for. you can also save money off your entire plan via business discounts which vary depending on how much your business offers wireless discounts for. I save 22% off my entire plan every month for every line, and then 20% on two of the other lines because we have three smartphones. instead of the $29.99 monthly it would be $25.98 per month. But 3G Multimedia Devices have different data rates then smartphones because a smartphone uses more data per month (for the palm line on my account average is 150,000KB or 150MB and for my blackberry average at 100,000KB or 100MB per month.) where as a regular cell phone uses less data (when i had my voyager and env2 and motokrzr fire and motokrzr grey average was 5MB-10MB of data per month) so there are different rates on different types of mobile phones.

All absolutely true, and none of which justifies Verizon's decision to require data packages on 3GMM phones.

0 Likes
harperd999

Verizon should go back to removing the mandatory data and offer the optional connect plan for non-smart phones.  This was optional and only $9.99 for unlimited data.  This is what they would do if they really were thinking about the customer.

0 Likes
Augeydoggy

Add another outraged longtime customer who also has triple play fios as well as a family plan, and is getting close to dumping the whole lot because of Verizon's behavior. I have an Alias 2, which is a great texting phone, and not bad otherwise. I got it for free last fall. My wife really likes how easy the texting is compared to her dumb flip phone, and now would like to have one too because our whole family texts a lot, and because she is a teacher who can't take calls all day, but can have texts waiting. Of course she also can't use the web all day, so we were very disappointed to find that the Alias 2 now costs $30 AND requires the 9.99 plan - deal breaker.

0 Likes
kodiakpoodle

Our family has been with Verizon (Airtouch) for nearly twenty years.   This is the very first time I have ever considered going elsewhere.  We have 5 phones and three of them are upgradeable.  After learning that in order to upgrade to a similar phone, they are going to charge me an additional 9.99 per phone.  We don't use the web.  That's why my other two phones are Blackberries. This is just another way for Verizon to stick it to their customers.  Once my contract expires, I'm closing the account!  The 3G network is looking better. 

0 Likes
GoodbyeVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me to the ranks that will be leaving VZ BECAUSE of the new DATA REQUIREMENT.

I just want a new phone and not a crappy, low-rent, bottom of the barrel phone. Why do I not have the choice to select any device, EVEN IF I PAY MORE FOR IT?

The VZ response is that  "we want you to enjoy the full features of the phone and you need to have the data plan to do so."

Well, you know what, I don't use the web on my tiny phone and don't want to, but  I will not be allowed this choice.

The real answer is VZ is milking extra revenue off each customer who upgrades their phone. The result of this policy WILL send this customer's money elsewhere.

People, vote with your feet!

And another thing, why has the kudos feature been turned off for this thread?

Maybe they don't want to see quadruple digits for each post like mine.

0 Likes
newkalewk

It's getting redundant but I'm going the group.   Have been with verizon almost seven years and am going to switch. I don't use the extra data services and have a simple phone ( lg 8360) , but my wife would like to upgrade. NOT going to happen because of a force fed surcharge for a service we do NOT want or need.  Another person posted a reply from verizon stating the verizon - " wants you to enjoy all that the feature phones have to offer"     Last time I checked I was the customer and I told you what I want   not the other way around.   Where do they get off telling us what we should have!?!  Especially when it comes down to the money coming out of my pocket every month.  NO THANKS verizon I'll save my extra $120 dollars a year and go somewhere else.   I'd rather switch carriers and  get what I want  than be shoveled another load of manure by some greedy top office corporate  joker.   All good things must come to an end and this is yours verizon.

0 Likes