Re: New Data Requirement!
Studes

I came here searching for information and, after a number of hours of research decided I needed to post my complaint here (in addition to the complaints I've sent to Verizon's customer service and the FCC, next up the BBB). There may not be anything illegal here, but it certainly is revolting. As a college student who will be coming off of his parents family plan in the next couple of years I will certainly NOT consider going to Verizon Wireless if they continue to pull stunts like this. 

Purchasing a phone plan should be simple. It should be done in simple steps:

1. Pick an individual or family plan.

2. Choose a suitable number of minutes.

3. Chose a texting plan if you'll use it.

4. Decide on a data plan.

5. Pick a phone.

Verizon, however, insists on making everything complicated. Certain features can only be had on certain plans and certain discounts only come with certain bundles. Now certain phones can only be purchased with certain additional monthly charges. 

But what's most frustrating is that I'm roped into it. As a member of a family plan, we have 4 people with 4 different renewal dates spread over a long period of time. Dropping Verizon altogether would require paying for two plans while waiting for everyone's contract to be up or paying outrageously high termination fees. Even more frustrating is knowing that none of the other companies out there have as good service as Verizon. But I think I would rather experience a few dropped calls with another service provider and not feel as though I'm being strongarmed into paying for services I don't want. Heck, these service barely even work on most of the "multimedia" phones. 

I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap "dumbphone" and then pick up an iPod touch.... that device with wi-fi.... that I can use on my extremely wi-fi friendly campus.... where I have absolutely no need for a $120 a year 3g connection. Not that Verizon is interested in whether or not I actually want, need, or will use a service. As long as I'm paying for it.

0 Likes
pdoffcust

How do you file a complaint with verizon other than just calling and complaining.  Other than 15 pages on a thread they need to hear it on how mad they have made their customers by making this mandatory.  It is an outrage that this is what cell services has gone too.  They don't understand that some people sit behind a cpu all day for a living and always have access to the internet.  Or some can not access the internet during work time.  I will not be upgrading now and waiting this out... if no resolution has come I will be switching to another carrier... any phone # or email people can forward it would be appreciated!

0 Likes
onpoint

first time poster...anyway i haven't read all of this but maybe someone knows the answer to this question...say you go get a new 3g multimedia phone with the required $10 data package, can you cancel the data package the following day?

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

No it's a requirement for the phone...

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Warning: This is long

Here is response I received from Verizon in regards to data package and my not receiving a promised call from Verizon:

Good Afternoon Ms. Rando. Thank you for replying through our website. My name is Melodee and I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the data plans for our 3G Multi-Media phones.  It can be concerning to realize that when you are eligible to upgrade in 2011, you may be required to accept an additional feature that you were not paying for before.

Technology is always changing and we have found that most of our customers are using data while on the go for personal and business use. In an effort to provide customers with the features and services they need, Verizon Wireless is offering 3G Multi-media devices for these customers and data packages to alleviate unexpected charges.

I understand you mentioned that you were considering switching to another provider when your contract ends if you have to take a data plan. I would like to advise you that most wireless providers have also recently implemented their own data plan requirements for their customers and in some cases these required plans are more expensive than Verizon Wireless. As technology advances, cell phone providers must provide options depending on the needs of our customers and the market.

When you are eligible to upgrade in 2011 this requirement may change, because as I stated technology and customer needs are always changing.

Right now we only provide 16 Simple Feature phones that do not require the data plan. However, I am sure that we will provide many more in the future.  Verizon Wireless found that customers looking for a more robust web experience will use more data than those accessing less robust browsing offered on the Simple Feature Phones. This is why we still offer phones for the customers who want a device as just a phone and not for all the data services.

Michelle has forwarded your comments to our Leadership Team.  I apologize if you were provided with incorrect information, however, this team does not contact our customers unless additional information is needed.  Based on the detailed explanation that you provided in your previous e-mails, which were forwarded to the Leadership Team, it is likely that they do not require any other information.  Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to enhance our service to better meet the needs of our customer and your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future.

Ms. Rando, I hope the information I have provided about the data feature requirement is helpful. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

MY response:

Thank you for your response. However, I asked not to receive the Party line of "technology is always changing..." I understand that. What I and MANY other Verizon customers are saying WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THIS TECHNOLOGY. Why are we being FORCED to take a data plan on the decent phones if we don't want data? New technology is great. But the people who WANT it should pay for it. I have the Alias 2. You cannot tell me that this is an "advanced" phone. Yes I can get to the internet. But the phone is too small to really utilize it as a web browser. It's more of a texting phone and I pay for a texting plan. I don't mind this because I WANT the service. If I owned a more advanced phone, perhaps I would understand (not LIKE) why I had to have data. The advanced phone are where you would assume someone wanted web access. Just like my phone is one you'd assume I was going to text on.

You say other companies also do this. I see that and while I don't agree with them either, I see that they do it. However, I think everyone is really upset about the way verizon did this. I had NO idea this change had taken place. Many others didn't either. So they scoped out the phone they wanted and walked into verizon. Only to find out that maybe the week before or even the DAY before, this new plan went into effect. I even know people who, were eligible to upgrade before the plan and didn't get around to going to Verizon til after. Imagine their surprise when they discovered if they had run down the day their upgrade was available, they could have avoided this. How about some people who have gone to verizon a week after their friend to get and Env 3 or Alias 2 and surprise...they get a nice forced data plan when their friend didn't the week before! There should have been some prior notice. Maybe you sent one with the bill? Most people get their bills online now. I know I do. I get plenty of mail from Verizon wanting to see if i want more services. How about a separate mailing telling me about this IMPORTANT change!

Yes I don't upgrade til 2011. I am hoping that this forced plan is gone. Although I shudder to think what's next.

The simple phones are just that...simple. Unless you are very young or very old, those are not the phones that people are going to want. The main use of phones is calling and texting. After that it's a different set of people who are interested in the advanced technology.

Common sense says....if I WANT the service...I'll ask for it and Pay for it.

Would I leave verizon and go to a different company who also does this? Hmmm, yeah I guess I would to make a point. So would alot of others......... I'm guessing other companies will start offering deals to get those people that leave Verizon.

Don't get me wrong. I love verizon. Great call clarity, great service, customer service always helpful, but I think everyone is just so tired of having stuff like this forced on them. We can't help but think verizon is doing it more to line their pockets with $$$ than for OUR benefit.

0 Likes
onpoint

i see...so has anyone bought an older model phone (not on their required list, like say an env2) on their "grandfathered" plan (i.e. not resigned a new contract) and activated it without getting a charge?

i have been eligible for the new every two upgrade for a while now and i will be keeping my vx8300 since all the phones i WAS looking to upgrade to require the data fee...i would buy an older model phone if it would prevent the data requirement but i don't want a used phone...my next option is to wait till they come out with a comparable simple phone to my current phone, which probably won't happen seeing that the vx8360 is currently in the multimedia category...so my next option is to either downgrade to one of their junk phones or i will wait till my contract is up and port over to another company cause i won't be paying for something i don't use

REMEMBER ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Good question. I'm not sure. I'd be afraid that when you went to activate it, they would add the package on. Call and ask them.

As for going to another company so you don't have to pay for what you don't use....I will agree w/Verizon on that one. Most companies do the same type of thing :smileysad:

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

latest contact from verizon:

Good Afternoon Ms. Rando,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. My name is Adrian and I am able to provide you with additional information regarding the data feature. I see that this required feature really concerns you.

Ms. Rando, I understand that you do not want the added data package; however, because your phone has the capability to access the internet, you are required to add the data package. Since the 3G multimedia phones have an always on internet access, you may be responsible for paying extensive data charges on your monthly bill.

My response:

Thank you for the response. I am not required to have a data package now unless I upgrade to a new phone. I appreciate your concern over me possibly incurring extensive data charges due to the always on internet. HOWEVER, I would NOT incur these charges if i didn't use the internet. Why can you not leave it the way it is? If I use it, I PAY, If I don't use it I DON'T pay. I wish Verizon would stop implying this is for OUR benefit. Why can no one understand our frustration at being FORCED to take this. I have this blocked on my husbands phone. Data charges monthly??? NONE. I occasionally pop on the internet and check my email. Average cost of my usage a year? Maybe $2 a month. Occasionally $4. Why oh Why would I want a PACKAGE????? And a lot of these phones you have forced this package onto cannot seriously be considered heavy internet use phones. The alias 2 screen is too small to do anything other than a quick email ck. Why would I want to spend time browsing the internet on my phone when I have a laptop? I understand there ARE people that like to use their phones alot for web usage. Then let them buy the package. Please don't even respond again with one of the party lines. It's insulting. No one is fully reading these emails because I keep getting the response that this is somehow YOU looking out for ME. don't worry about me, I'll worry about my bill. Where is the answer about how this was sprung on people with no notice? no one has given me any explaination about that.

I have a gym membership I pay for monthly. Or I can pay so much each time I go. I figured out that I would utilize this enough so it was worth it for me to pay the monthly charge as opposed to pay per use. Someone else may decide it's cheaper to pay as they go, seeing they know they won't go that often. Now because my gym is open every day...should a member be FORCED to buy the monthly package because they are worried about them paying too much without the package or should the member decide that for themselves? this is the same thing. It should be our decision.

So I guess Verizon just doesn't care. I cannot get a straight answer on the whole way this was done. Who do I contact next? :smileymad:

0 Likes
onpoint

if the phone isn't on the required data package list then it should be grandfathered so "theoretically" you shouldn't be charged but the stories i have been reading on here make me hesitant to even try something like this since it seems that some Verizon employees have misinformed customers...it seems like they want to tag this charge onto any phone that has the capability of getting onto the internet

either way they won't be getting any data money from me...i will buy a junk phone before that happens

0 Likes
drnc03
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright guys... looks like this needs to go to the next level... I think we should all contact our local media outlets and make them aware of this... several have already picked up on it... just take thge step to email your local "5 on your side."  If Verizon refuses to listen to us... maybe bad press will light a fire under them... worth a shot I think.

0 Likes