Re: New Bill layout for children
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason that your last page adds to the same as "total amount due" is because you don't have any previous balance carry forward.

That's correct - I don't carry a balance (either negative or positive) from one month to the next - the bill comes, I pay it all.  Rarely is there a case where the amount due and the bill total are different, and the new format has only been in place for one billing cycle.

I guess the question is WHY you have a balance carrying forward every month .. but that's really not my concern.  If, in fact, there is no "Total Current Charges" as opposed to "Total Amount Due" - that is problematic for those that pay partially or pay ahead.

Does the last page show a line for Balance Forward?  It would seem to be awfully confusing if it showed the line by line charges, account charge, and it DIDN'T add up to the total at the bottom.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

alchemista2 wrote:

Yes, if you have a previous balance, that total due will not be the same as the total month's charges, and same on that last page.

And yet this all comes down to paying your bill as presented and on time. If you don't pay MORE than your billed amount, you won't have a negative balance forward. If you don't pay LESS than your billed amount, you won't have a positive balance forward.

If you submit your bill to your employer with a zero balance forward, it appears you won't have a problem. If you have been paying MORE than your billed amount, stop doing so and it will alleviate your problems. If you have been paying LESS than your billed amount after being reimbursed by your employer for the full amount of your bill, your employer may want to know WHY.

Bottom line remains, pay the billed amount. You will have a zero balance forward and the items will match. If you CHOOSE to do otherwise, it seems you are making more work for yourself for some unknown reason.

I can't wait to get my next bill to see if anything changes.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
alchemista2

Sorry but that's a very simple-minded answer. The bill format does not "come down to paying your bill as presented" - that's a whole different topic. There are plenty of valid reasons why you would pre-pay your bill amounts, but it doesn't seem like you would understand that.

The bill format should be clear and present the information needed, regardless of when and how you pay it.

As others have posted on here the "Total Current Charges" subtotal line was very useful in the old billing format, and it's not just me now who is complaining it is missing.

I hope VZN adds this back in or something similar, but I see little chance of that Smiley Sad

0 Likes
alchemista2

fyi - The most common reason why I pre-pay my bill is that it's an easy way to use up pre-paid credit cards / rebate cards / etc that you get in the mail (the ones that are like $50 prepaid) - it's an easy way to just convert them right away.

However there are other reasons why one would pre-pay the bill or pay a little late - for example, small business cashflows.

You're right - that gets confusing when you have a carried balance (positive or negative), and that's what I'm concerned about as well as the few other people that posted on it. I'm still not sure how I want to submit this latest bill because it just opens up the possibility of so much confusion - and it took me months to figure out how to get my expense processor to understand the "Total Current Charges" line so now I'm going to have to start all over again Smiley Sad

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

alchemista2 wrote:

The bill format does not "come down to paying your bill as presented" - that's a whole different topic.

And yet it WOULD fix the problem you seem to be having. Simply because a solution is "simple" does not make it "simple-minded".

alchemista2 wrote:

There are plenty of valid reasons why you would pre-pay your bill amounts, but it doesn't seem like you would understand that.

Let's hear one and I will let you know if my "simple-minded" mentality can do so.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

alchemista2 wrote:

fyi - The most common reason why I pre-pay my bill is that it's an easy way to use up pre-paid credit cards / rebate cards / etc that you get in the mail (the ones that are like $50 prepaid)

Do you have other bills which you don't have to submit for expenses? Seems simpler to use these in other ways than to fight a likely losing battle.

alchemista2 wrote:

You're right - that gets confusing when you have a carried balance (positive or negative), and that's what I'm concerned about as well as the few other people that posted on it. I'm still not sure how I want to submit this latest bill because it just opens up the possibility of so much confusion - and it took me months to figure out how to get my expense processor to understand the "Total Current Charges" line so now I'm going to have to start all over again

Another of your previous posts states "The bill format should be clear and present the information needed, regardless of when and how you pay it" yet it would seem your current statement above says the old bill did not meet this expectation. Only after you "explained" it to your expense department was it "clear". Seems like you may have to "explain" it to them again.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

alchemista2 wrote:

You're right - that gets confusing when you have a carried balance (positive or negative), and that's what I'm concerned about as well as the few other people that posted on it. I'm still not sure how I want to submit this latest bill because it just opens up the possibility of so much confusion - and it took me months to figure out how to get my expense processor to understand the "Total Current Charges" line so now I'm going to have to start all over again

Regardless, good luck on your attempts to have this line added to the billing format.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
diagoro
Contributor - Level 1

The new bill format is the same as the web site. Both are far too large. Especially the web site, where the huge icons and text mean I have to scroll so far for everything. They really should build in a slider to decrease the size based on personal preference.

0 Likes