New Account, New Line, and Cancellation?
rajerue59

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of signing up for a new account in order to save some $$, but have a few questions.

Naturally, signing up for the account will allow me to get a $199 iPhone 5s. But what happens if I cancel my service once I get the device? I don't plan on returning the equipment and I am aware of the $350 ETF, but will I still be billed for a month of service? I ask because many websites suggest that signing up for an account and then paying ETF is cheaper, but may have unintended consequences.

My goal is to get the 5s, and pay $199 + ETF, rather than the $649 outright cost.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Account, New Line, and Cancellation?
rcschnoor
Legend

rajerue59 wrote:

My goal is to get the 5s, and pay $199 + ETF, rather than the $649 outright cost.

So you don't want service, simply the iPhone 5S?

If you were to purchase the iPhone 5S in exchange for signing a new contract and then turn around and immediately cancel the service, you would most likely be on the hook for the ETF and a partial month of service.

Typically, Verizon assigns an arbitrary billing date when opening an account. Verizon also does not pro-rate charges for the month in which you cancel service. With that in mind, you would technically be liable for the partial month of service from the moment you signed up until your billing date along with the ETF. Don't forget you will also have the $35 activation fee. So in total it would be $199 + $350 + $35 + partial month of service.

I've never heard of this scenario, though, so not really sure how it will work out? What is the point of keeping the phone if not to use on Verizon?

rajerue59

If it were for myself, I'd keep it as a test device; but I'm going to gift the 5s to a family member.

So I will be billed for at least part of the month. I'm not sure how much that would cost (if I did a 500MB plan), but it sounds far easier to just go into my other account and pay full retail. When the activation fee is included, it doesn't sound like I'm saving a lot of money.

Thanks for your response, rcschnoor

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Are you on the same account as the family member? Is the family member eligible for a discounted upgrade?

Have you thought of a gift certificate in which the family member could purchase the phone on his line with the discount if available?

0 Likes
rajerue59

Currently I am. Family member not eligible for a discount. I am, but being on unlimited data, I cannot transfer the upgrade without losing unlimited (and this is not an option).

0 Likes