Network Extender
eadkins7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded to the Droid Razr and have bad cell signal at home, so I bought a network extender.  I have a 10+ MBPS connection for uploads and downloads from Armstrong Cable.  The network extender is placed approximately four feet from my wireless router and modem.  Whenever I have the network extender hooked up, I lose internet service to both my wired and wireless networks.  The router claims connection issues with the modem but all lights on the modem are showing proper function.  The extender is hooked into the router and when I disconnect power from the extender, internet service returns.  Any ideas on the problem?

Labels (1)
Re: Network Extender
jimib33
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had a similar problem when I first hooked up.

You should (physically) separate your Wireless router. At least six feet or more... if not is separate rooms.

0 Likes
SBMongoos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rather odd.  So you have a cable modem -> WiFi router -> VNE (Verizon Network Extender)?  If your WiFi router has been working previous it shouldn't be a problem.  There's nothing wrong with moving if further from the WiFi router but it's on a completely different frequency so it shouldn't really matter much.

My setup is cable modem -> WiFi router -> VNE.  Been this way for a couple of years I suppose.  Suddenly starting in 12/2011 I started having issues with signal strength.  I called various times for support and finally got someone that I thought was going to help.  However, this person knew very little about the VNE at all.  After about 10 days or so a "backend tech" called.  He was somewhat helpful but didn't ultimately fix my problem and the person who was involved in helping me simply disappeared.  Verizon used to have good support.  But in over five years of time with them I've seen a slow downward spiral. My problem still exists which is signal strength. No idea what the issue is.  Thought tech had it fixed as he said he wrote  script file that tells the server to boost the signal strength at my VNE. If the VNE ever loses power and then gains it back it phones home and gets instructions from their server. The tech thought maybe the default settings were no longer strong enough (make no sense as nothing has change at all at my end).  This worked for a few days and the problems have been back again.  I cannot get any help either.  Money I wish I had not spent and don't see things any better with another service either. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Actually I have Time Warner and the they starting to notice I was using the extenders and the carriers started restricting the connections to make it seem that the extender had a issue but it didn't... Every time I disconnected the extender the connection worked without issues.   Since TW offers VOIP service they want you to use their connection bandwidth for their service not another companies VOIP system.

Shady but not surprising....  This may be you issue also..

0 Likes
SBMongoos
Enthusiast - Level 2

That’s not been my issue. I can connect to my VNE and make calls and it has no impact on my internet service at call. I know that Comcast does not block this device (I found out what ports it communicates on). The problem has been with varying signal strength from this thing even within a small two story home and it sits on a loft. It’s illegal for TW to do what they are doing. The VNE uses little data. It seems they are monitoring your data usage and can tell that the VNE is connected by the port it communicates on and then apparently you get booted off your service. Sad but this sort of thing goes on a lot. Who’s in control?

To be honest I’m quite fed up with Verizon. I’ve been having a lot of issues and unable to get support. I’m amazed at how you can get put on hold with what seems like the call the resolve the issue only for someone else to pick up the call and go in another direction. I’m terribly dissatisfied with Verizon at this point. I’ve been having troubles with the VNE and their cell phone. All of which is (or was when the process was started) was under warranty. Through my personal experience it comes off looking like they want to make you miserable so you will just “live with it”. Support has really spiraled downhill in the last 1.5 years. Very sad.

Wildman
Legend

Since TW is the main service provider in my area and they prove that they dont care about the customers...  They wont ever admit that they restrict connection and blame router or modem..  I really dont need the extender because my reception is good from Verizon but I got a deal on the extender so I got it..

It worked fine until I had TW tech come out to fix a degraded QOS rating and the tech tried to blame it on the extender but learned it was a bad cable line but I think he did something to the line because it hasn't worked correct since, when I report the issue they always say they dont find any issue on their end and the tech reported no hardware issues.

0 Likes
SBMongoos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nice.

0 Likes
TugboatIPU
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bandwidth wars....you are using the extender for data and voip.  you have your apps set up to continually talk.....do

0 Likes