Network Extender problems w/Qwest customers during July 2011
VerWirelessCust
Enthusiast - Level 1

I believe I have found the cause of the Network Extender problems surfacing in July, 2011. I am a customer who has been out of Network Extender usage for two weeks now. Read on....

Unbelievably, almost no one at Qwest, Verizonwireless, or Samsung (NE's manufacturer) has any idea what the cause is and neither Qwest nor Samsung knows that a problem exists at all. 
After many hours on the phone to all three companies I finally believe I know the cause of the problem. The cause is an updated firmware revision that was pushed to all Qwest customers who use the Actiontec PK5000 modem/router. They have been pushing it out over the last few weeks, so the symptoms have been rolling rather than happening all at one time.
The latest version of the PK5000 firmware is QAP002-3.60.3.0.9.9 When the customer's modem receives that version update (unbeknownst to them), Network Extender is rendered inoperable... the modem does not recognize the NE is plugged into it and does not provide an IP address. The WAN light goes solid red, the GPS goes magenta and the SYS light goes red.

Because Qwest's PK5000 works fine with the upgrade (i.e. both wi-fi and ethernet connections work fine with my Macintosh MacBook Pro), they have no interest in solving my VerizonWireless problem.

Bottom line is VerizonWireless needs to get a patch created "yesterday" and made available to all Network Extender customers who use the Actiontec PK5000 Qwest modem/router immediately. I live in a rural area and despite the fact I've had a VerizonWireless cell phone for many, many years, I'll be forced into changing cell phone providers soon, as will every other NE user who has lost their NE usage because of this problem.

It boggles my mind that no one has figured this out and provided a patch for the Network Extender. Understandably, Qwest could care less this is happening, since their service is not effected. This is truly VerizonWireless' problem.
Now, what can you do??? Call customer service right now and get technical support. Give them the information above and let them know they need to develop a patch for the Network Extender to work with the new firmware (i.e. operating system) of the Actiontec PK5000 modem. It's only when they hear from a bunch of people that they will step up the urgency to find a solution. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Extender problems w/Qwest customers during July 2011
VerWirelessCust
Enthusiast - Level 1

WE HAVE FINALLY GOT NETWORK EXTENDER WORKING!!! After a full month of no Network Extender operation at my home, the problem is finally solved. Both "PWEFER" (above) and a call from Verizon tech support had the solution to this problem. You need to call QWEST/Century Link tech support and have them send you a ZyXEL PK5000Z modem/router at no charge.

When you do so, make it very clear your need the ZyXEL PK5000z!!!!  When I called Qwest to send me that specific modem/router, she either didn't understand, ordered it wrong or the shipping department screwed it up, because they sent me another Actiontec PK5000.  I called them again (this was my 5th or 6th call to Qwest) and asked them to send me the modem I requested. It finally came yesteday and it worked immediately. Again, the modem was sent at no cost to me, although I have to send the other modem back.

One good bonus is that my signal with the ZyXEL modem appears to be better than with the Actiontec modem. I have more EV and TX bars.

Thus ends literally a month-long mess with my Network Extender, VerizonWireless and Qwest. FYI, Since I had numerous calls that they had documented to Qwest, VerizonWireless and Samung, at the 10-day point the VerizonWireless customer service person got authorization to give me 10 days credit for non-service. When she called me again at the 2-week point, and I still didn't have service, she got authorization to give me up to a month of bill credit, depending upon how long I was out of service. This was because of my long relationship with Verizon and my many calls made to figure out what the problem was. Therefore, if you have gone a long time with no Network Extender service, reason with the customer service rep to give you at least some bill credit, since none of the problems were of your own doing.

Best of luck to all of you Qwest/Century Link customers who have gone through the same Network Extender headaches I have gone through.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jason24

OK, what's the deal here. I've been having the same problems. Verizon gave me a new extender and I still have the same problem. The week of July 15th everything went dead. I live in downtown Denver and I still can't get service at my house. My network extender is no longer compatible with the PK5000 modem QWEST issued. Firmware got pushed out? uhh... OK that doesn't mean anything to me. Not my problem, but kudos to the gentlemen who figured that out.. Neither Verizon or qwest seem to not want to take responsibility.

So what's next? is there an extender on the market that is compatible with the infamous PK5000? Evidently, the guys @ Qwest I was on the phone with for 45 minutes seems to think it's some type of high speed low drag, technological phenomenon. I'd like to add that if someone from qwest or verizon tech support reads this, I do not have a land line at my house, I have never had a land line at my house so no I can't go to my desktop and troubleshoot the modem while on the phone. just to reinterate I live in downtown denver I do not have cell coverage at my house, and no it's not my house. Everyone in our area does not have coverage.

I've had verizon for over 10 years now and never had a problem. This is the first and biggest problem I had becasue verizon and qwest decided to "bundle" thier service offering...whatever that means.

I believe I have found the cause of the Network Extender problems surfacing in July, 2011. I am a customer who has been out of Network Extender usage for two weeks now. Read on....

"Unbelievably, almost no one at Qwest, Verizonwireless, or Samsung (NE's manufacturer) has any idea what the cause is and neither Qwest nor Samsung knows that a problem exists at all. 
After many hours on the phone to all three companies I finally believe I know the cause of the problem. The cause is an updated firmware revision that was pushed to all Qwest customers who use the Actiontec PK5000 modem/router. They have been pushing it out over the last few weeks, so the symptoms have been rolling rather than happening all at one time.
The latest version of the PK5000 firmware is QAP002-3.60.3.0.9.9 When the customer's modem receives that version update (unbeknownst to them), Network Extender is rendered inoperable... the modem does not recognize the NE is plugged into it and does not provide an IP address. The WAN light goes solid red, the GPS goes magenta and the SYS light goes red.

Because Qwest's PK5000 works fine with the upgrade (i.e. both wi-fi and ethernet connections work fine with my Macintosh MacBook Pro), they have no interest in solving my VerizonWireless problem.

Bottom line is VerizonWireless needs to get a patch created "yesterday" and made available to all Network Extender customers who use the Actiontec PK5000 Qwest modem/router immediately. I live in a rural area and despite the fact I've had a VerizonWireless cell phone for many, many years, I'll be forced into changing cell phone providers soon, as will every other NE user who has lost their NE usage because of this problem.

It boggles my mind that no one has figured this out and provided a patch for the Network Extender. Understandably, Qwest could care less this is happening, since their service is not effected. This is truly VerizonWireless' problem.
Now, what can you do??? Call customer service right now and get technical support. Give them the information above and let them know they need to develop a patch for the Network Extender to work with the new firmware (i.e. operating system) of the Actiontec PK5000 modem. It's only when they hear from a bunch of people that they will step up the urgency to find a solution. Thanks!"
0 Likes
dantre3
Just spoke with Qwest Tech support. Actiontec pushed a firmware update that made my extender inoperable. According to Qwest ,Actiontec has no date as to when the will have a fix. Qwest will be sending me a replacement modem at no charge
0 Likes
pwefer

Had same problem.  New firmware was used in the PK5000 router after power off/on to trouble shoot another issue with a wireless printer.  PK5000 and all network works great EXCEPT the Verizon network extender.  Call to Verizon was good experience as I expected the typical finger point.  All I had to say was Qwest and the tech finished my sentence by telling me I had a PK5000 and just had the firmware updated.

Verizon gave me the modems that would work and instructions on how to roll back the firmware (very complicated) in the PK5000.

I opted to call Qwest and got the run around until I told them I wanted a new modem or the old firmware in the PK5000.

They are now sending me a PK5000Z which Verizon says will work with the network extender.

Should not have had to spend 2 hours of my time getting this resolved.

0 Likes
VerWirelessCust
Enthusiast - Level 1

WE HAVE FINALLY GOT NETWORK EXTENDER WORKING!!! After a full month of no Network Extender operation at my home, the problem is finally solved. Both "PWEFER" (above) and a call from Verizon tech support had the solution to this problem. You need to call QWEST/Century Link tech support and have them send you a ZyXEL PK5000Z modem/router at no charge.

When you do so, make it very clear your need the ZyXEL PK5000z!!!!  When I called Qwest to send me that specific modem/router, she either didn't understand, ordered it wrong or the shipping department screwed it up, because they sent me another Actiontec PK5000.  I called them again (this was my 5th or 6th call to Qwest) and asked them to send me the modem I requested. It finally came yesteday and it worked immediately. Again, the modem was sent at no cost to me, although I have to send the other modem back.

One good bonus is that my signal with the ZyXEL modem appears to be better than with the Actiontec modem. I have more EV and TX bars.

Thus ends literally a month-long mess with my Network Extender, VerizonWireless and Qwest. FYI, Since I had numerous calls that they had documented to Qwest, VerizonWireless and Samung, at the 10-day point the VerizonWireless customer service person got authorization to give me 10 days credit for non-service. When she called me again at the 2-week point, and I still didn't have service, she got authorization to give me up to a month of bill credit, depending upon how long I was out of service. This was because of my long relationship with Verizon and my many calls made to figure out what the problem was. Therefore, if you have gone a long time with no Network Extender service, reason with the customer service rep to give you at least some bill credit, since none of the problems were of your own doing.

Best of luck to all of you Qwest/Century Link customers who have gone through the same Network Extender headaches I have gone through.

0 Likes