Need to get back my grandfathered unlimited data plan
mnhim101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I upgraded my phone at Sams Club and they told me nothing would change on my plan.  After the upgrade a few hours later I received a text message saying that I have gone over my data by over 2000%.

So I scrambled and contacted Verizon to get this back and was not able to do so.  I still have days left to return the phone at Sams Club, but by doing so would it give me back my old plan of unlimited data?

The reason I upgraded my plan was because I filed a complaint to the FCC regarding the $20 increase for all grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I spoke to a representative and she told me that with this $20 increase I can benefit from doing an upgrade without losing my unlimited data plan.  I did the upgrade and I lost my plan.

Anyone who is able to help, please help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need to get back my grandfathered unlimited data plan
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Return it and hope they can get it back.

You can do a DPP once your bill finalizes and that $20 increase will then be visible on your bill. You can't do a DPP before that.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have your plan back and have an option to get a new phone, mnhim101. We apologize for any miscommunication on the upgrade offer.

You can return the phone within the 14 return period and then contact us by phone so we can get your data plan changed back for you. Once the $20 increase has taken affect for that plan, you can then upgrade to a new phone on our Device Payment Plan option.

StevenG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

mnhim101
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would pay it off in full, which I have been doing for all these years.

The only reason I choose the upgrade route was because I was told that with the $20 increase I would be able to take advantage of the upgrades without losing my data plan.

Do you know for sure that I can get my old data plan back?

mnhim101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi StevenG

Can I contact you directly, do you an extension.  I would like to speak to you instead of getting bounced around to other representative that won't help me with this problem.

Snn5
Legend

You'll need to return the phone, pay any restocking fees, switch back to your old plan, wait for the final bill after Nov 15's fee change, THEN you can upgrade on the DPP and keep UDP.  This will take some time though as the plan might take time to switch back and the device will have to be received and inspected before your date is reverted.

mnhim101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you, I am going to give that a try.

My only concern is that when I spoke to Verizon on the phone, they told me that it was not possible anymore because that plan is no longer available.

Snn5
Legend

This is partially correct.  The plan is no longer available, but it is within the 14 day return period...supposedly, but definitely not after the 14 day period of returns.  When Vzw stated these changes, they were not exact in their wording about WHEN you could upgrade via DPP, only that you COULD.  That's where the confusion is coming in.

zagnut1972
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel your pain, it almost a happen to me on the 15th as I too was told I could take part in the DPP and keep my UDP.  The in store Verizon rep was new and when he could not figure out why the system prompted him to replace my UDP with a 6 gig plan he called for help.  Glad he did the seasoned rep said I could not take part in the DPP until after my current billing cycle ended and keep my UDP.  Thank god or I would be in the same boat with you. 

0 Likes
mnhim101
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I return my phone to get back my old data plan, should I do what StevenG suggested - to call Verizon customer support or should I just wait it out and let the automated system do its work?

0 Likes