My Cellular speed is extremely slow with 5 bars of LTE coverage
BENPAS79
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to understand what is going on in my area.  I have been a verizon customer for 8 years.  I have two phones through them and have a tower on my property here in Central New York.  (13166 zip code)  Over the last month or two I have noticed data speeds slowing to a crawl.  (.2Mbps Download and less upload)  Including a 400-500ms latency.  I have asked around and it seems to be multiple customers on the verizon network here.  I have 5 bars of LTE coverage, but specifically between 4PM and 9PM EST my data speeds drop to an unusable rate.  Quite concerning as this is my only internet source.  Is this what we are paying extra for?  Looking for some sort of intelligible response.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Cellular speed is extremely slow with 5 bars of LTE coverage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
BENPAS79
Thank you for reaching out to us. Having the service that you expect is vital and I want to make sure that your concerns are being addressed promptly. What plan are you currently on? Does this only happen while you are at home?

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
BENPAS79
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 12GB plan, but typically use ~6GB per month. I am rarely anywhere but home at 5-9PM. I have experienced slowdowns elsewhere, but not to the level as when I'm connected to my tower.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Showing 5 bars indicates that a strong signal is present. The tower could be congested during those hours.

In another topic, it was suggested that users who have tiered plans, but, also subscribe to overage protection, are being throttled in the same manner as users who have any of the three recent Unlimited plans. Do you have that optional coverage?

BENPAS79
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize that the tower is congested, I'm wondering why the congestion on the tower isn't being fixed... we aren't talking a slight slowdown. We are talking dial-up speeds... if you are referring to "safe mode", it is disabled. Tech support said this would "throttle normal data usage" that was not correct. I turned it off a month ago and continued my speed testing with identical results.

Sent from my iPhone

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The Safety Mode only slows speeds when you reach your cap. It does not kick in at any time before that and slow your speeds.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

BENPAS79 wrote:

I realize that the tower is congested, I'm wondering why the congestion on the tower isn't being fixed... we aren't talking a slight slowdown. We are talking dial-up speeds... if you are referring to "safe mode", it is disabled. Tech support said this would "throttle normal data usage" that was not correct. I turned it off a month ago and continued my speed testing with identical results.

Sent from my iPhone

What exactly do you propose be done to "fix' it? Data usage is like traffic. If you have more people trying to consume the resource then it will be slow until less people are there. Also, if you are speaking of service inside your home, with a tower on your property or not, you should be connecting to WiFi to alleviate congestion.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is also possible the backhaul fiber or copper line is maxed out.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BENPAS79
Enthusiast - Level 2

SPRMANKALEL: The reason I pay good money for cellular connectivity is because there is no access to internet other than cellular service on my road. Therefore there is no WiFi... If data usage is like traffic, I suggest you build a bigger highway...

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Who will pay for that? I have fine service where I live. I don't want my bill going up.

0 Likes