Modem based SMS messaging number has been disconnected. Have you shut down the service? Or did you just change the number?
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still have monitoring services at work that rely on a modem based system to send us alert messages about system status.   This would allow a computer with a modem to dial a telephone number, send a message about a system status, and have it reach my phone via SMS.

The number has been working for years without issue, but at the start of the week, the number is not working.   It seems the number has been disconnected.

The number I had for this service was 866-823-0501.

Was the number changed?   Or have you discontinued the service completely?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Modem based SMS messaging number has been disconnected. Have you shut down the service? Or did you just change the number?
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

After a call to customer service, it appears they have discontinued this service:

"Beginning 01/31/2015 we will no longer offer support for TAP (Telelocator Alphanumeric Protocol). If you are using a modem-based 1-800 TAP service to send text messages through our network, contact your business sales team for support."

Talked to the business team, they referred me to 2 different 3rd party companies who they stated were "taking over the service" so to speak.

View solution in original post

Re: Modem based SMS messaging number has been disconnected. Have you shut down the service? Or did you just change the number?
JediLoki
Enthusiast - Level 3

After a call to customer service, it appears they have discontinued this service:

"Beginning 01/31/2015 we will no longer offer support for TAP (Telelocator Alphanumeric Protocol). If you are using a modem-based 1-800 TAP service to send text messages through our network, contact your business sales team for support."

Talked to the business team, they referred me to 2 different 3rd party companies who they stated were "taking over the service" so to speak.

Re: Modem based SMS messaging number has been disconnected.   Have you shut down the service? Or did you just change the number?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JediLoki

I definitely want to make sure you can stay connected as you need! The Telocator Application Protocol (TAP) Messaging system you were previously using has been disconntinued as of 2/2/15. There are a couple alternative solutions to keep this system running as you need.

The first would be to subscribe to Enterprise Messaging Access Gateway (EMAG) services and send TAP messages from a TAP application. You can reach out to your VZW Business Sales Representatvie for more details about this option on business accounts at 800-922-0204.

The second is to contact a 3rd party service provider to continue using TAP. There are two we are aware of but there may be more. TeleCommunications Systems (TCS) can be reached by Rick Ruth at rruth@telecomsys.com. TeleMessage can be reached at salesUS@telemessage.com.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes