Re: Mobile Hotspot on Tiered Data Plan
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the 5GB data plan with corporate email for $50. I could drop down to the 4GB plan with mobile hotspot for $50 but then I would need to add $15 for corporate email for a total of $65. To me that seems like paying for mobile hotspot!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I think the corporate email may be what would keep tethering from being included

0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why should that matter? the FCC statement didn't make any qualifications related to corporate data plans so not sure why Verizon would do that.

Thats also not what the rep told me, she said something like "well the tiered plans dont count only the share everything plans...."

I appreciate everyone's help with this. I am trying to understand whats different about my account that would exclude me from the FCC statement and I still cant figure it out. I would love for a VZW CS rep to help clarify things (if they even can)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You are on an older plan which is exempt from the rules. The rules are not retro active.

0 Likes
budone
Legend
Tidbits, s spot on. Older plans have to pay for tethering. I pay for it.
0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the FCC statement (par 15)

"On June 28, 2012, Verizon Wireless modified its pricing plans to allow customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee"

I signed up for data in July 2012. What makes my plan old?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Write to the FCC. Based on your plan you are being grandfathered and is exempt from the rules. They will tell you what I just said.

0 Likes
yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry, please do not think I am not extremely appreciative of all the help I am getting on this subject and the fact that people are taking the time out to reply to my question.

I understand, based on your comments, that Verizon is saying I am being grandfathered in, my issues is that I am having trouble understanding how my plan, which I signed up for after this announcement, can be considered "grandfathered" according to Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The individual tiered data plans were introduced and available for customers starting July 2011. These plans were in place before the ruling and therefore exempt from the ruling.

Even though you added the data plan in July 2012, you choose a older plan type. If you had selected a Share Everything plan at that time, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

yeedle13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok so we are saying that plans "CREATED" after 6/28 are eligible for this settlement, regardless of when you actually signed up for a plan?

If yes, that makes sense why Verizon is saying I have to pay, however it seems odd, that it should matter. Also the pricing scheme for the new share everything plan is clearly charging you for mobile hotspot. Not sure how they can get away with this, I guess that's just business.

Thanks everyone for your help!

0 Likes