Military Suspend
Emisis

Seeing that my local Verizon store has no empathy towards people serving in the Military. Apparently no more than Verizon as a whole. I need to ask these questions:

What good is Military Suspend on a phone that will not be used in the United States (or any other country for that matter) for a year/ 12mos / 365 days but still pay the $40.00 data fee? (This is one option Verizon gives you, pay for the data fees and the "contract" time goes down per month)

What good is being able to actually suspend the phone, contract and all. You pay no data but your contract stops and adds to the end date of said contract. BUT ...........When you suspend it the suspension is only good for 3 months and the billing starts automatically after those 3 months. You can suspend it for 3 more months after the first 3 for a total of 6. After you have suspended it for 6 months you can not suspend it any longer.

So I ask the question:

EXACTLY what good is only being able to suspend a phone for 6 months when the deployment is a minimum 12 months?

I am honestly baffled by this, if someone could explain this clearly to me I'd appreciate it.

(My son is in the military not me, I handle all his state side issues while he is away.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Military Suspend
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

It sounds like your son's phone service was suspended under a regular suspension and not under a military suspension.  Did he request it as a specific military suspension and provide a copy of his orders?  There isn't a 6 month limit on military suspensions.  And the deployment minimum is 90 days not 12 months.

Regardless of the suspension, unless the deployment involves a PCS, the contract will still be in effect.  He will have to complete the terms of the contract once the suspension is over.  The period of suspension is added to the length of the contract.  (However, if Verizon offered the option to only have to pay the data fee, then your son was offered a break on that.)

As to the question of "what good is being able to actually suspend the phone" is so that those months don't have to be paid for while the service member is outside the country on military service.  But again, the contract is still valid once he returns.

0 Likes
Emisis

Yes, the suspension was originally "regular" as you say. I took the orders in and had it changed to a "Military Suspension" No mention of differences, matter of factly was never even brought up.

From  what the Verizon employee stated, I can suspend it first for 3 mos and  then again for another 3 for a total of 6. So if what you are claiming  is true.... the employee has no clue about military suspension of the  phone.

For now Yes, there is a PCS. I understand contract obligations........I have no issue with that

Interesting  that you say that deployment is minimum 90 days...... I wish he had to  only be there for 2 tours of 180 days total. From the time he left on  those 2 tours it was 21 months (combined total)

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Call Customer Support instead of going into a retail store.

Also, your response is confusing.  Is he deployed or did he receive PCS orders?

If he had a Permanent Change of Station, then he can cancel his contract without penalty if he chooses.  Of course, that would also mean that he would forfeit his phone number.

Otherwise, the line can remain suspended.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Emisis, First off, we thank you for raising such a brave son for serving and protecting our beautiful nation. We certainly do want to make sure your service is taking care of properly so that you are not paying for service you are currently not using due to military service. To be able to suspend the service correctly, we would need you to reach out to our customer service team at 800-922-0204. We will need some information regarding your sons deployment to make sure the account is accurate. Please take the time to reach out to them to get this taken care of. Thank you again for your time. Here are some suspension FAQ's and the last questions pertains to military discount http://vz.to/OedqHe

-PeterV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes