Marginal Coverage Area Problem (FL)
sfbookwriter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to be very fair in this posting, and am not looking to flame Verizon or their employees, as I believe for the most part they're trying to do the best they can. I appreciate greatly the efforts they've put into our request to this point. But now that it's been deemed closed--with no resolution--I'm going to see if there is additional help.

Like many on this forum, I live in an area now deemed "marginal coverage." I'm in Naples FL--not in a remote area, not the last exit from nowhere, no huge mountains or skyscrapers. Three weeks ago, we moved into this house and our cell phones (and the phones of the movers and the repair people, etc. over the past 3 weeks) cease to work or work in a very limited capacity. IE: If one can connect, it can take 8 to 10 minutes to send a text with an attached photo. Voice calls drop constantly, and we do a daily litany of "can you hear me now?"

I filed a trouble ticket, and I will say that the rep in SC and the one in NV were excellent to work with. I was receiving text updates from Verizon on the matter for the past 10 days. Very much appreciate that. Kudos to Verizon for being first class in that matter.  I was told to change my SIM card. Done. The local rep was lovely with that as well. But no significant help.

The problem was the resolution: the generic "marginal coverage area" and the link they asked me to click on goes to the generic page on marginal coverage, where things like skyscrapers (yeah, we have dozens of those here amidst the palm trees) and seasonal population changes (yeah, the deep snows in NY and NJ in August make everyone run down to Naples FL) affect coverage.

Here's the kicker--two years ago, we owned a house 8/10ths of a mile from this house and in the same community--and for over ten years had perfect coverage. I can walk to my old house in about the time it takes to drink a beer. If I walk to my old house, coverage is still great. (If I walk halfway to my old house, coverage is great.)

I understand that using WiFi calling will help. We have Comcast/Xfinity. Let me say it has helped some but it still takes 8 minutes to send a photo via text. But the point is this: Why am I being told to use my TELEVISION provider to provide me with phone service, for which I am paying the cell phone company? In essence, Verizon, you're telling me I have to pay for service WHICH YOU WILL NOT PROVIDE and then I have to go to another company and buy THEIR service to try to get yours to work.

Since you admit you will only provide me with marginal coverage, may I adjust my bill to only pay a marginal amount of money?

If I go to the grocery store and want to buy a pound of apples, and the store only gives me half a pound, but charges me the amount of the full pound--that would be unethical and illegal. Verizon, you're requiring me to pay for a pound of coverage, and giving me less than half a pound.

We've been Verizon customers for over ten years. We've had faith in the company to this point, and I'd like to continue to have faith. But I don't believe in paying for a product I'm not receiving.

One more thing: Florida = hurricanes, and hurricanes = no power. We rely on cell phones to connect with family and friends in emergencies. Shunting my cell phone through Comcast WiFi means I have no emergency line in a power outage. Our Verizon cell phones have been our lifesavers for over fifteen years in FL.

Verizon, you've been reliable and faithful to this point. I look forward to hearing a solution (perhaps even a life-saving one) to this "marginal coverage area" issue.

Best regards, ~Linnea

Labels (1)